RE: [ws100] WS Trail conditions

  • Lewis, Chuck
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2000
      Carl.........
      I'd like to say you make a good point...... Train for the downhills! I
      think alot of us get so caught up in training for the uphills we ignore the
      downhills. I love to run downhill. At 200 lbs., I just let good 'ol gravity
      have its way and pray for a good place to stick my foot on each stride.
      Last year as a first timer at WS (and at anything over 50 miles), my
      friends knowing how I run the downhills all said the same thing.... "Chuck,
      take it easy on the downhills and save your legs for after Forrest hill.
      Most of it is runnable if you have legs for it." Well I listened to them and
      finished my first 100. But in reevaluating the run, I tried to figure out
      what I could have done differently and now, how to apply it to this years
      WS. I noticed that in taking it easy on those downhills, I was "braking"
      more on each stride than I was accustomed. As far as I'm concerned this
      action stressed my legs in places I hadn't trained. I had muscles cramping I
      never knew I had.
      Well this year the plan is to run the downhills "fluidly". To me while it
      says "no" to my banzai style of descent........ It also tells me to back off
      on the brakes. Stay off the toe strikes..... But lift the knees, come down
      on the heel and roll off the toes. Which is how I tend to run on the flats.
      This allows me to run in a more normal fashion and allows for a faster and
      smoother descent.
      One other comment I'd like to make is on "heat". I believe it going to be
      one hot day at WS this year... Hot and humid. I live near Death Valley where
      temperatures can commonly exceed the 115 degree mark but we still train at
      noon on weekdays. We can train at these temperatures because we train into
      them..... But more importantly we stay properly "Hydrated"... This year the
      American River 50 Miler saw the highest number of DNF's in approximately 10
      years. This was due, in my opinion, to the heat, runners going out to fast,
      and not drinking enough fluids...
      I would suggest the following.... Carry at least 2 bottles... Even if you
      don't fill the 2nd one until later in the race. What you fill them with is
      of course your choice... I use just water and am not a fan of the Gatorade
      like drinks. Wear a cap of some sort. It'll obviously keep the sun off you,
      but they're nice for dipping into the streams along the trail and pouring
      water over your head. I personally like the electrolyte caps. 'Succeed!'
      caps are nice, but Wal-Mart sells a product called "Thermo Tabs" that
      according to the labels are very similar and they are significantly cheaper.
      (I have no vested interest in either of these companies)...
      What about the humidity????? I haven't a clue. While the temperature here
      are high..... We affectionately refer to it as "Dry" heat. It'll take its
      toll on me I'm sure.... Any tricks you folks that live in humid environments
      would suggest??? Good Luck!
      cl

    • Jed Davis
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
        Here's an email regarding one man's experience at WS. It seems to touch on
        all our current issues.

        Jed