Re: [ws100] WS Trail conditions

  • Bruce Hoff
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2000
      Carl--

      I went out there last weekend, and ran everything from Dusty Corners to
      Auburn.
      Here's what I can say:
      * The heat is still there. Be ready to battle dehydration, as usual.
      * The downhills are still there. Prepare your quads!!
      * The rattlesnakes and poison oak are still there . . . to take your
      mind off the heat and downhills.
      Also, a local runner 'posted' a message saying that there's still snow
      circa Robinson Flat. I'm sure it's melting quickly.

      Hope this helps,

      Bruce

      Carl Pegels wrote:

      > Fellow WS 100 participants: I miss last year's web site which gave a lot
      > of detail on the WS trail and conditions. Unfortunately, this year's web
      > site does not yet give that kind of information. Could some of you
      > participating in this year's training run. or those living near the
      > trail provide some information on the trail conditions between now and
      > the 24th of June. Especially for those of us living far away from the
      > course, any info we can get is welcome. I am a second year participant,
      > and plan to become a first time finisher. Last year my quads gave out
      > early, and I ran out of time at Last Chance. So. my advice for first
      > timers is : Train on those downhills, on steep ones that is. Good luck
      > with the training run.. I live too far away to participate. Carl Pegels,
      > Buffalo, NY

    • Lewis, Chuck
      Message 2 of 3 , May 25, 2000
        Carl.........
        I'd like to say you make a good point...... Train for the downhills! I
        think alot of us get so caught up in training for the uphills we ignore the
        downhills. I love to run downhill. At 200 lbs., I just let good 'ol gravity
        have its way and pray for a good place to stick my foot on each stride.
        Last year as a first timer at WS (and at anything over 50 miles), my
        friends knowing how I run the downhills all said the same thing.... "Chuck,
        take it easy on the downhills and save your legs for after Forrest hill.
        Most of it is runnable if you have legs for it." Well I listened to them and
        finished my first 100. But in reevaluating the run, I tried to figure out
        what I could have done differently and now, how to apply it to this years
        WS. I noticed that in taking it easy on those downhills, I was "braking"
        more on each stride than I was accustomed. As far as I'm concerned this
        action stressed my legs in places I hadn't trained. I had muscles cramping I
        never knew I had.
        Well this year the plan is to run the downhills "fluidly". To me while it
        says "no" to my banzai style of descent........ It also tells me to back off
        on the brakes. Stay off the toe strikes..... But lift the knees, come down
        on the heel and roll off the toes. Which is how I tend to run on the flats.
        This allows me to run in a more normal fashion and allows for a faster and
        smoother descent.
        One other comment I'd like to make is on "heat". I believe it going to be
        one hot day at WS this year... Hot and humid. I live near Death Valley where
        temperatures can commonly exceed the 115 degree mark but we still train at
        noon on weekdays. We can train at these temperatures because we train into
        them..... But more importantly we stay properly "Hydrated"... This year the
        American River 50 Miler saw the highest number of DNF's in approximately 10
        years. This was due, in my opinion, to the heat, runners going out to fast,
        and not drinking enough fluids...
        I would suggest the following.... Carry at least 2 bottles... Even if you
        don't fill the 2nd one until later in the race. What you fill them with is
        of course your choice... I use just water and am not a fan of the Gatorade
        like drinks. Wear a cap of some sort. It'll obviously keep the sun off you,
        but they're nice for dipping into the streams along the trail and pouring
        water over your head. I personally like the electrolyte caps. 'Succeed!'
        caps are nice, but Wal-Mart sells a product called "Thermo Tabs" that
        according to the labels are very similar and they are significantly cheaper.
        (I have no vested interest in either of these companies)...
        What about the humidity????? I haven't a clue. While the temperature here
        are high..... We affectionately refer to it as "Dry" heat. It'll take its
        toll on me I'm sure.... Any tricks you folks that live in humid environments
        would suggest??? Good Luck!
        cl

      • Jed Davis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
          Here's an email regarding one man's experience at WS. It seems to touch on
          all our current issues.

          Jed