[ws100] WS100 Training

  • andy holak
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2000
      Chuck,

      Good reply! Nice to see your training plan for WS.

      So far this year (since Jan.) I've been training harder than I ever
      have this time of year. Generally, in winter here in the Upper
      Midwest, I really slack off on my training. This year I'm running a
      lot more, and I think it will pay off with a much more solid base when
      I start my harder training at the end of Feb.

      To be completely honest (I'm embarrassed to admit it), I'm a low
      mileage runner. However, I think I make up for this low mileage by
      emphasizing quality in my runs. Even with my low mileage (~30 mile
      avg, even less in winter) I'm able to finish near the top of most
      ultras. With that in mind, you'll see that my trying for Western
      States is actually a jump up for me, but probably still less than a lot
      of people mileage-wise.

      I've been trying to avg. ~30 miles a week running since Jan. for my
      base. I've also been x-c skiing a little. I'm also trying to do one
      good hill workout each week. No speedwork yet.

      My training plan (I usually don't have one;just run) starts the week of
      Feb. 28 after I ski the 55k American Birkebeiner ski race on Feb. 26.
      My highest mileage week will actually only be 70 miles. Lowest mileage
      week during this period; 26 miles during the taper. Avg. weekly
      mileage of 47 miles. Doesn't seem like a lot, but I know if I follow
      this plan, I will be better prepared than ever. I plan 3 weeks with
      long back to back runs on the weekend (something I don't do much of).
      I'll try to do hard hills one day a week and speedwork at least every
      other week. With my current plan I have 2 rest days per week. Perhaps
      I could run on some of these rest days to increase the weekly mileage,
      but this will depend on how my body feels. My weekly "ramp-up" is not
      set, rather it is very random. Some weeks I increase mileage quite a
      bit (8 miles) some weeks I decrease mileage, kind of a rest week.
      Since I've been running for quite a while and feel I have a decent
      base, I didn't see the need to have a set or even ramp-up mileage each
      week. Is this a decent assumption or do you think this is off-base?

      I'll be running a 50k in mid april, and a 50 mile race in early May.
      I'm going to TRY and run the 50 miler easy. I'm hoping that the 50
      miler (Ice Age) in May is a really hot one again! I know that I'll be
      lacking in heat acclimitization before Western. We just don't have
      enough hot weather up here in early summer to acclimate for that type
      of heat.

      Most of all, I'll just keep running. I think I get by on guts more
      than anything during these ultras. I'm shooting for 24 hours, and if I
      run like I think I can, this goal should be relatively easy (yeah
      right, nothing like confidence!). I'd like to go even faster if
      possible. I guess we'll see in June! I'd like to hear some more
      training plans! Thanks!

      Andy
    • Lewis, Chuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2000
        Andy......
        You sound like a runner after my own heart..... I too usually train using
        shorter runs and low weekly mileages.... As you probably know it not a very
        popular strategy among the ultra purists.....
        I read an article in some publication awhile back about some fellow who
        holds a record for the most recorded sub-2:20 marathons... He said he never
        ran over 12 miles in any of his workouts and the only time he did go over 12
        miles was in an actual marathon..... He felt that the real key to his
        success was his once a week workout of half-mile repeats... And I subscribe
        whole heartedly to this philosophy.
        I live near Death Valley in a town call Ridgecrest (California). It gets >
        115 degrees in the summer time.... But even with those kind of temperatures
        we don't see the level of humidity that Western has. I think your idea of
        long back-to-back runs is a good idea, i.e.. running when you're still
        tired.
        Hill work = Up & Down... I think alot of folks equate hills with Up, but
        the down hills will beat your legs up just as well. Last year my strategy
        was to run the down hills easy..... I ran them easy to the point that it
        wasn't my natural gate/stride and I believe I did more damage than good.
        I like your idea of setting your goal at < 24 hrs. That's what I did last
        year and while I was on pace through Michigan Bluff, somewhere shortly after
        MB I got tired and ended up finishing in 29.5 hrs. The year before a friend
        entered to survive the 30 hr. cut-off..... He didn't.....
        One piece of information I picked up along the way and I believe to be
        true is to take your 50 mile time and triple it..... It's definitely not
        like running a marathon based on half marathon training.
        For me the hardest part (And I haven't figured out a way to prepare for it
        short of the obvious) was simply going for 24+ hrs. The mood swings were
        incredible around 2 - 4 AM (The 2nd morning). I personally refer to it as
        "The closest thing to child birth a male will ever experience"... It kinda
        reminded me of the time my wife and I had our first (of 6) child. One minute
        you're a sweetheart and the next you're the wicked witch of the west.......
        Which reminds me, if you use a pacer, pick someone that is strong..... not
        just physically, but mentally too... There may be times when you won't be
        that congenial person that you normally are... hahahahaha.....
        And lastly, the 3 day camp is a real plus..... It'll give you a chance to
        see ~70% of the course and meet some really great people....... The
        showering facilities are second to none :)!
        Good Luck & Good Training!
        Chuck