WS Trainiing Weekend schedule

  • greg m soderlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 11:55 AM
      The information regarding the WS training runs is below.

      Take care,

      Greg Soderlund, RD Western States Endurance Run
      Way Too Cool 50K, Montrail/Patagonia American River 50
      242 Hartnell Place, Sacramento, CA 95825
      916-638-1161
      Web site: http://www.run100s.com/snu -- E-mail: gsoderlund@...

      -

      SCHEDULED TRAINING RUNS AND CLINICS

      Two training runs have been scheduled in 2000 to acquaint runners with
      the entire 100 miles of trail. It is recommended that each entrant,
      especially newcomers to Western States, take advantage of these runs as
      they will acquaint you with both the trail itself and the conditions you
      can expect to encounter on Race Day. There will be many runners
      participating in these runs who have considerable experience on the
      trail. They will be more than happy to share their knowledge and
      experiences.

      Plan on carrying your own water and whatever supplies you may need. A
      fanny pack is recommended. Aid stations and bus service will be
      provided. There will be a nominal fee to cover expenses.

      If you plan on deviating from the scheduled run (running a different
      section of the trail, running farther than the described run, etc.), you
      will not be permitted to officially participate in the scheduled training
      run or training camp. We cannot be responsible for you and our insurance
      coverage does not permit it.

      TRAINING RUN NO. 1

      This run will acquaint you with the final 20 miles of the trail.

      Date: Saturday, February 26, 2000
      Time: 8:00 a.m.
      Site: Placer High School, Auburn, California
      Route: Green Gate to Auburn, 20 Miles.

      We will meet at the stadium at Placer High School and leave by bus for
      the Green Gate at Sliger Mine Road. This is close to the river crossing
      at Rucky Chucky. From there we will run to the finish line in Auburn,
      approximately 20 miles. This will familiarize you with a section of
      trail that you will be running at night.

      The night run on California Street has been canceled.

      TRAINING RUN NO. 2

      Three-day training camp for the Memorial Day weekend of May 27-29, 2000.
      This has been a tremendous success each year with over 750 runners
      participating during the three-day weekend. You will run the last 70
      miles of the course.

      If you are flying to the camp, we suggest that you fly into Sacramento.
      If you are planning to rent a car, consider renting a van or station
      wagon that could be used to sleep in at the campsite.

      Day 1

      Date: Saturday, May 27, 2000
      Time: 8:00 a.m.
      Site: Western States campsite, Foresthill Highway and Bath Road.
      Route: Robinson Flat to Foresthill (snow permitting), 32 Miles.

      From the campsite we will have bus transportation to Robinson Flat, a
      drive taking approximately 1 hour. We will run from Robinson Flat
      (depending on snow conditions) back to the campsite, a distance of
      approximately 32 miles. This section will acquaint you with the canyons
      and the two most difficult climbs of the entire race (Devil's Thumb and
      Michigan Bluff). Depending on the weather, the run could also help
      acquaint you with the heat you are likely to experience in the canyons on
      Race Day. If we are unable to get to Robinson Flat, a substitute route
      over as much of the scheduled trail as possible will be run. The exact
      route of this training run will depend upon snow and weather conditions
      in the high country.

      Following the run, we will spend time resting and relaxing until supper.
      Use tents, motor homes, vans, or whatever you have available to sleep in.
      We will provide you with supper, breakfast the next morning, portable
      showers, portapotties, etc. Clinics and some form of entertainment will
      be on the evening agenda.

      Day 2

      Date: Sunday, May 28, 2000
      Time: 8:30 a.m.
      Route: Foresthill to Rucky Chucky (and back to White Oak Flat), 20
      Miles.

      The second day, we will walk or drive to Foresthill and run the
      California Street section of trail. Departure time will be 8:30 a.m.,
      and a shuttle bus will return runners to the campsite from White Oak
      Flat. We will again camp at camp headquarters, and the same services
      will be provided.

      Day 3

      Date: Monday, May 29, 2000
      Time: 8:30 a.m.
      Route: Green Gate to Auburn, 20 Miles.

      The third day, we will drive to Placer High School (30 minutes) and buses
      will transport us to the Green Gate (50 minutes), where we will run the
      final 20 miles of the trail back to the finish line.

      Driving Instructions To Campsite:

      Take Interstate 80 past the three Auburn exits (if you are coming from
      the west) or prior to reaching the Auburn exits (if you are coming from
      the east). Exit at the Foresthill exit. Head east (proceed down the
      long hill and cross the Foresthill Bridge). It is 17 miles to
      Foresthill. Prior to entering the town of Foresthill, you will pass a
      school on the right side of the highway. After passing through the small
      business community of Foresthill, you will pass a second school on the
      right side of the highway. Proceed another � mile and you will see the
      campsite (an abandoned sawmill site) on the right side of the highway.
      If you reach Bath Road, you've gone too far. Signs will indicate the
      campsite.

      Additional Information:

      � Training Run No. 2 (Day 1) will depend on snow conditions in the high
      country. Please check with the Race Director first to see if we will be
      able to do this run.

      � A reservation form is provided for your convenience. We can only allow
      participants who have made reservations, since the caterers require us to
      provide them with exact numbers. Reservations must be received by the
      Race Director no later than May 22, 2000.

      � Aid stations will be provided for all training runs but they will be
      few in number. Come fully prepared for a run in the mountains, however,
      as we can't promise anything.

      � For the safety of all concerned, cut-off times for all of the training
      runs will be established at all of the aid stations. If you do not
      arrive at an aid station before the cut-off time, you will not be
      permitted to proceed any further. Failure to comply with this regulation
      will result in your disqualification from participation on Race Day. We
      cannot be responsible for runners being out on the trail after dark.

      � If you are interested in participating in any or all of these training
      runs, please contact us as soon as possible (Greg Soderlund,
      916/638-1161). Sufficiently trained pacers, family, friends, etc., are
      welcome to participate in the training runs. There will be a nominal
      charge to help with transportation and aid station costs. We are looking
      forward to meeting you and training with you.

      "Running Western States hurts for a few days. The ride from an aid
      station to the finish hurts all year."
      Wayne Miles

      RESERVATION FORM

      Memorial Day Weekend Training Session

      Name
      Street:
      City: ___________________________________ State: ________ Zip:
      ______________
      Phone: ________________________________
      E-mail:______________________________

      Please Check Appropriate Boxes

      All Runners:
      3 Days
      � $110.00
      (includes 4 meals: Saturday p.m., Sunday a.m., Sunday p.m.,
      Monday a.m.)
      2 Days - Sat. & Sun. � $
      65.00
      (includes 2 meals: Saturday p.m., Sunday a.m.)
      2 Days - Sun. & Mon.
      � $ 65.00
      (includes 2 meals: Sunday p.m., Monday a.m.)
      1 Day (no meals) � $
      12.00

      Spouse or Friend, if Not Participating in Runs: (meals as above)
      3 Days
      � $ 65.00
      2 Days - Sat. & Sun. � $
      45.00
      2 Days - Sun. & Mon.
      � $ 45.00

      TOTAL: $________

      If you plan on camping at the campsite and do not wish to purchase meals,
      the cost is $10.00 per day.

      Make check or money order payable to: Western States Endurance Run.
      Reservations must be received no later than May 22, 2000.

      If you plan on deviating from the scheduled run (running a different
      section of the trail, running farther than the described run, etc.), you
      will not be permitted to officially participate in the scheduled training
      run or training camp. We cannot be responsible for you, nor does our
      insurance coverage permit it.

      Mail to: Greg Soderlund, RD
      242 Hartnell Place, Sacramento, CA 95825

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.