Re: [ws100] What to wear?

  • PRO:SPORT
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2011
      Thanks, I have never run in snow before.

      On 10 May 2011, at 19:43, Patrick McCartney wrote:

      > Just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean it is cold. Last
      > year, we ran the first 10-miles in the snow and the air temperature was
      > around 80-deg F. Even though the race starts at 5am, the sun rises almost
      > immediately. A good rule of thumb is that whenever the sun it up, plan on
      > it being HOT. In my experience, the only time you need to worry about being
      > warm is during the night, especially if you are doing a lot of walking.
      > Last year it was warm enough all night that shorts were just fine. However,
      > it can get cold at night, so I always have long pants and a jacket in my
      > drop bag at Foresthill to use just in case. The only other thing I would
      > say is that you can get cold if it is raining. I have a bunch of those
      > small (and cheap) emergency ponchos that I stick in every drop bag just in
      > case a storm comes up.
      >
      > _____

      PRO:SPORT
      prosport.israel@...

    • Patrick McCartney
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2011
        The biggest issue from the snow last year (for me, at least) was wet feet.
        Even once we got out of the snow, all of the streams were high and we were
        constantly crossing water where it was nearly impossible to keep your feet
        dry. There is only so much you can do, but if it looks like a big snow year
        (and it does, at this point), bring as many shoes as you can. As a minimum,
        have a change of shoes (and socks!) at Robinson Flat and another at
        Foresthill.

        Thanks, I have never run in snow before.

        On 10 May 2011, at 19:43, Patrick McCartney wrote:

        > Just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean it is cold. Last
        > year, we ran the first 10-miles in the snow and the air temperature was
        > around 80-deg F. Even though the race starts at 5am, the sun rises almost
        > immediately. A good rule of thumb is that whenever the sun it up, plan on
        > it being HOT. In my experience, the only time you need to worry about
        being
        > warm is during the night, especially if you are doing a lot of walking.
        > Last year it was warm enough all night that shorts were just fine.
        However,
        > it can get cold at night, so I always have long pants and a jacket in my
        > drop bag at Foresthill to use just in case. The only other thing I would
        > say is that you can get cold if it is raining. I have a bunch of those
        > small (and cheap) emergency ponchos that I stick in every drop bag just in
        > case a storm comes up.
        >
        > _____

        PRO:SPORT
        prosport.israel@...

        Groups Links
      • Dale Keen
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2011
          Wear a windbreaker for the first two hours. I bought one at a garage sale for $ .25 and then I left it at the second aid station.

          Dale Keen
          Cross Country Coach
          Cameron Yoe High School

          "One day the great truth will have to be learned that the quest is greater than what is sought, the effort finer than the prize, or rather, the effort is the prize--the victory cheap and hollow were it not for the rigor of the game." Justice Benjamin Cardozo 1870-1938

          P.O. Box 712 Cameron, TX 76520 School: 254-697-2381 Home: 512-455-6391 Cell: 979-450-5612 Home Address: 1703 CR 336, Milano, TX 76556

          To: ws100@yahoogroups.com
          From: prosport.israel@...
          Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:37:43 +0000
          Subject: [ws100] What to wear?