RE: [ws100] What to wear?

  • Patrick McCartney
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2011
      Just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean it is cold. Last
      year, we ran the first 10-miles in the snow and the air temperature was
      around 80-deg F. Even though the race starts at 5am, the sun rises almost
      immediately. A good rule of thumb is that whenever the sun it up, plan on
      it being HOT. In my experience, the only time you need to worry about being
      warm is during the night, especially if you are doing a lot of walking.
      Last year it was warm enough all night that shorts were just fine. However,
      it can get cold at night, so I always have long pants and a jacket in my
      drop bag at Foresthill to use just in case. The only other thing I would
      say is that you can get cold if it is raining. I have a bunch of those
      small (and cheap) emergency ponchos that I stick in every drop bag just in
      case a storm comes up.

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2011
        Thanks, I have never run in snow before.

        On 10 May 2011, at 19:43, Patrick McCartney wrote:

        > Just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean it is cold. Last
        > year, we ran the first 10-miles in the snow and the air temperature was
        > around 80-deg F. Even though the race starts at 5am, the sun rises almost
        > immediately. A good rule of thumb is that whenever the sun it up, plan on
        > it being HOT. In my experience, the only time you need to worry about being
        > warm is during the night, especially if you are doing a lot of walking.
        > Last year it was warm enough all night that shorts were just fine. However,
        > it can get cold at night, so I always have long pants and a jacket in my
        > drop bag at Foresthill to use just in case. The only other thing I would
        > say is that you can get cold if it is raining. I have a bunch of those
        > small (and cheap) emergency ponchos that I stick in every drop bag just in
        > case a storm comes up.
        >
        > _____

        PRO:SPORT
        prosport.israel@...

      • Patrick McCartney
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2011
          The biggest issue from the snow last year (for me, at least) was wet feet.
          Even once we got out of the snow, all of the streams were high and we were
          constantly crossing water where it was nearly impossible to keep your feet
          dry. There is only so much you can do, but if it looks like a big snow year
          (and it does, at this point), bring as many shoes as you can. As a minimum,
          have a change of shoes (and socks!) at Robinson Flat and another at
          Foresthill.

          Thanks, I have never run in snow before.

          On 10 May 2011, at 19:43, Patrick McCartney wrote:

          > Just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean it is cold. Last
          > year, we ran the first 10-miles in the snow and the air temperature was
          > around 80-deg F. Even though the race starts at 5am, the sun rises almost
          > immediately. A good rule of thumb is that whenever the sun it up, plan on
          > it being HOT. In my experience, the only time you need to worry about
          being
          > warm is during the night, especially if you are doing a lot of walking.
          > Last year it was warm enough all night that shorts were just fine.
          However,
          > it can get cold at night, so I always have long pants and a jacket in my
          > drop bag at Foresthill to use just in case. The only other thing I would
          > say is that you can get cold if it is raining. I have a bunch of those
          > small (and cheap) emergency ponchos that I stick in every drop bag just in
          > case a storm comes up.
          >
          > _____

          PRO:SPORT
          prosport.israel@...

          Groups Links
        • Dale Keen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2011
            Wear a windbreaker for the first two hours. I bought one at a garage sale for $ .25 and then I left it at the second aid station.

            Dale Keen
            Cross Country Coach
            Cameron Yoe High School

            "One day the great truth will have to be learned that the quest is greater than what is sought, the effort finer than the prize, or rather, the effort is the prize--the victory cheap and hollow were it not for the rigor of the game." Justice Benjamin Cardozo 1870-1938

            P.O. Box 712 Cameron, TX 76520 School: 254-697-2381 Home: 512-455-6391 Cell: 979-450-5612 Home Address: 1703 CR 336, Milano, TX 76556

            To: ws100@yahoogroups.com
            From: prosport.israel@...
            Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:37:43 +0000