[ws100] Re: Caloric Intake

  • Bruce Hoff
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2000
      Chuck,

      I did a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation, and got about 600 Cal/hour
      as the intake needed to keep replenished. In my experience, as the race
      wears on (certainly after 80 miles, maybe after just 60-70 miles), it's hard

      to keep up that rate of ingestion, and I sort of "coast in" on less intake.

      But I would suggest that your weight gain is less related to caloric intake
      and more related to water retention. I haven't had your experience, but I
      understand that if you take in too much salt, your body retains water, and
      you gain weight. At what rate did you take those electolyte cap's? Did
      you take in any other form of salt in significant doses?

      Bruce

      P.S. My "credentials": Six 100 mile finishes, three of them "buckles", but
      no
      buckle (yet!) from Western States.

      Chuck Lewis wrote:

      > Howdy all!
      > At last years Western, I weighed in at 193lbs. and weighed out, 29
      > hrs. later, at 207 lbs.. Needless to say a 14 lb. gain was a bit of a
      > surprise. Did I drink too much, eat too much, or take too many Succeed
      > caps (Maybe I should have run faster..... Hahahahaha)? At any rate,
      > this year I'd like to at least break even or be a little lighter when I
      > finish.
      > Solid, Gel, liquid diets..... I understand that a body will burn
      > calories... Even to the point that the burn varies from one person to
      > the next, dependent on factors such as age, running speed, body weight,
      > etc., etc.... What I'm trying to do is get a ball park figure for how
      > many calories (grams of carbohydrates) do I need to ingest for ~optimum
      > (Not Peak!) performance....
      > Lets say that a body will burn 800 calories per hour during the run.
      > Theoretically, one might assume if we take in 800 calories we would
      > never need to worry about sources such as glycogen or fat as fuel. But
      > as we know, this isn't the case. How fast can the body break down the
      > foods we ingest into a useable fuel? If we take in 800 calories per
      > hour, but the body can only metabolize enough to provide the body with
      > 400 calories per hour of useable energy, then why take in 800. It seems
      > like it might be a waste of time, energy, and money (And maybe a clue
      > to the 14 lb. gain).
      > I don't know, but right now my plan is to go to a liquid diet
      > (Remembering how tastey those Power Bars became - Yuk!- I haven't eaten
      > one since) and try and take in half the number of calories per hour
      > that I expect to burn per hour.... Worst case is I won't drink any of
      > the drink I'm going to try after this years Western either and go back
      > to running 10K's.
      > Does anyone else have any thoughts??
      > Chuck in CA

      > DON'T PAY RETAIL PRICES
      > Save up to 75% on Brand Name Products at ScreamingHotDeals.com
      >
      > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ws100/
    • Lewis, Chuck
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2000
        Bruce.....
        I suspected the caps also..... I was taking one cap every half hour. As
        you probably know there are not many directions as to dosage that comes with
        the caps... This year I haven't even used them after running 2-50's, a 40,
        and 2-50k's.... I'm considering passing on them altogether for Western this
        year... But we'll see what happens as the weather warms up a bit!
        A can of Ensure rates itself at 340 Cal/can. I was thinking about all the
        pretzels, cookies, fig newtons, etc. that I eat at the aide stations and I
        just can't imagine that it adds up to 340 calories/aide station. Soooooo.
        Thanks for the "Feed" back! Good luck this year! Sounds like you have
        everything it takes to get that buckle! Maybe I'll see you at camp!
        Chuck