New NW PA trail ultra - 10Kish, 50K, 50 & 100 miles - OilCreek100.org

  • rd_oc100
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2009
      Greetings WS100'ers from northwest PA! I wanted to let everyone know
      about a new trail race I'm organizing in northwest PA called the Oil
      Creek 100 Trail Runs <http://oilcreek100.org/> . We will be holding the
      inaugural trail races on the same weekend - Oct 10th & 11th 2009 - so
      that runners, hikers and walkers alike can participate at some distance
      due to the generous cut-off times:

      * 10Kish (distance TBD) for solo & 4 person team races, fun run, and
      hike - no time limit

      * 50K - 12 hour time limit = 23:11 / mile pace

      * 50 mile - 32 hour time limit = 38:24 / mile

      * 100 mile - 32 hour time limit = 19:12 / mile

      There will be a pre-race pasta dinner and meeting - with lots of door
      prizes and race bag goodies provided by our national sponsors
      <http://www.oilcreek100.org/Home/sponsors> Montrail, Hammer Nutrition,
      Nathan HPL, CW-X Conditioning Wear, Teva, La Sportiva, Trail Runner
      magazine, ZombieRunner.com, Kahtoola MICROspikes, McDonalds, Culligan
      water, and Road ID - for the ultra runners on Friday Oct 9th.

      Please see our race website at OilCreek100.org <http://oilcreek100.org/>
      or OC100.org <http://oc100.org/> . This is one trail race you won't want
      to miss if you are looking to add PA to your list of ultra challenges.
      Most of the race will be on the rugged single-track Gerard Hiking Trail
      of historic Oil Creek State Park
      <http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/oilcreek/oilcreek_history.\
      aspx> , located between Titusville
      <http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Titusville&state=PA> and Oil City,
      PA, about 40 southeast of Erie PA and roughly 2 to 2.5 hours from
      Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo. You will be running with the ghosts
      of the 1860's oil wildcatters as the world's first oil boom started here
      when Colonel Edwin Drake drilled the first commercial oil well in 1859.

      Race HQ will be at the new and modern Titusville Middle School (pending
      final insurance approval) and showers will be available all weekend long
      for runners, pacers and crew for a nominal fee of $5 to cover the
      school's custodial staff that will be onhand all weekend.

      The finisher's award belt buckle - a large, heavy and high-quality
      buckle from Creative Castings Inc in Denison TX - should be finalized
      this week so visit our race website during the next week to see the
      artists rendition. Same buckle will be awarded but with different
      finishes for each ultra distance: gold / two-tone for the 100 miler,
      silver finish for the 50 milers, and bronze (antique brass) for the 50K
      finishers.

      In just 19 days since its launch the race website has had visits from
      1,100 different / unique runners from 15 countries.

      I hope to see you in October - bring your friends or spouse as there
      will be a distance for everyone to enjoy. Your 10K / 50K friends can
      finish their race and then crew or pace another friend on the 50 or 100
      mile race.
      Tom Jennings, Race Director
      Oil Creek 100 Trail Runs <http://oilcreek100.org/> - 10Kish, 50K, 50 &
      100 miles