[ws100] Hello and Training Programs

  • andy holak
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2000
      Just wondering if anyone else is out there yet. I'm looking forward to
      some lively discussion, tips and training advice on this list. Anyone
      out there want to discuss their training regimen, plan or program for
      Western States on the list? I'd be interested in hearing how you
      prepare for the race. Thanks!

      Andy
    • Lewis, Chuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2000
        Hi Andy......
        Welcome to the group! There was good information passed along here last
        year.....
        In general, last year's training was based on strength.... It worked
        alright (Got me through the race).... But I spent more time lifting than
        running. I used a 6 month approach, broke into thirds.. Strength, Endurance,
        & Speed/Taper..... I ran my first (and only) 50 miler in April with my
        longest run, in the previous 4 months, being 8 miles.... Like I said...It
        worked Ok.
        This year I'm still using the 6 month approach, but I'm 180 out on my
        strength vs. running thoughts.... Not that I wasn't happy with how things
        went last year.... I just want to try something different. This year's
        program consists of 3 ramps increasing each week's mileage by 5 miles with 3
        rest weeks between ramps. I started this on January 1st. I have one rest (No
        run) day per week.... 30 to 60 mile ramp, 20 mile rest, 50 to 80 mile ramp,
        30 mile rest, 70 to 100 mile ramp, 40 mile rest, 20 mile taper, & 100 mile
        race. I have 3 - 50 mile races thrown in for entertainment......
        Favorite foods: Carl's Jr.'s Double Western Bacon Cheese Burger, Mexican,
        & Chinese
        Chuck