Re: [ws100] trail conditions?

  • firepotter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
      Jonnie,

      I ran the race.
      You should not have any problem. Most of the snow
      should be gone by Tevis. It will be muddy though. Hope
      your horse don't mind that...

      Gary

      --- mom_of_wesley <trigger@...> wrote:

      > Now that the run is over, can anyone report on the
      > trail conditions
      > this year? Especially the high country? My horse and
      > I are entered in
      > the ride, and just curious as to how "bad" the bogs
      > etc. will be?
      > Thanks so much,
      > Jonni

      Yahoo! Sports
      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
    • mom_of_wesley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
        Wow, thanks so much for the great details Glenn! The Tevis trail
        crosses at 89 and the Truckee river, and then along a hiking trail
        along the South slope of Squaw Valley. The trail re-connects with the
        historic route about a mile short of Watson's Monument. We ride up
        the service road under the ski lifts to the top. I thought that the
        trail was pretty much the same for the run and ride, but somewhere
        the runners do more miles between Squaw and Auburn, that the riders
        don't, as we have about 8 miles of trail before we get to 89 and the
        Truckee River.

        This has been such a weird weather year, and hopefully it will stay
        warm enough to melt off most of the snow before the ride. But then we
        will have the nasty bogs and mud through Granite Chief. This will be
        my 3rd attempt, and hopefully it will be "3rd times the charm".
        Getting a horse ready in the "flats" of Texas has been tough, so I
        took the horse out to CA for his last conditioning. (and MY
        conditioning)

        Congrads to all those who did the run, and thanks to all volunteers
        who go out and help at these events so WE can participate.

        Jonni (near Dallas TX)
      • glenn@newcastlecrosscountry.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
          Jonni, good luck to you. I was the sweeper for the run so I
          had plenty of time to check out the conditions. Hopefully
          most of the snow will be gone but there's going to be areas
          where, because of the runoff, that it's going to be wet.

          Glenn