Re: [ws100] trail conditions?

  • glenn@newcastlecrosscountry.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
      Jonni, I know Tevis starts near Truckee but I don't know where
      you enter our course- maybe near Lyon's Ridge??? Anyway, for
      WS, once over the peak at Squaw, the area to Lyon's Ridge is
      pretty spotty with snow. You can go a few hundred yards with
      snow and then another few hundred yards with no snow- with the
      snow being in the shadier areas. Where there is snow it is
      quite thick but very icy due to the constant heating and
      cooling. It's quite dangerous. Most of this should melt by
      Tevis. There's also a lot of water from the snow melt. From
      Lyon's to Red Star, the snow is very patchy. There is snow
      along side of the trail by Elephant's trunk and Cougar Rock.
      The brief patches are icy and are usually located where
      there is not much sun (slope areas with tree that only get
      partial sun). There are also several tree down blocking the
      trail but one of our safety patrol volunteers gave this
      information on the location to one of the Tevis people at the
      race (Bill Johnson) and he is notifying the forest service.
      The sectioin from Red Star to Robinson also has snow (and
      trees). There is little snow in the first 3 miles to Robinson
      but the snow get more pronounced and thicker the closer you
      get to Robinson. Not real icy though. Being on Soda Spring
      Rd, I think most of this will be gone by Tevis as well but if
      not, horses should have no problem going through whatever
      snow is remaining. Hope this helps.

      Glenn
    • firepotter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
        Jonnie,

        I ran the race.
        You should not have any problem. Most of the snow
        should be gone by Tevis. It will be muddy though. Hope
        your horse don't mind that...

        Gary

        --- mom_of_wesley <trigger@...> wrote:

        > Now that the run is over, can anyone report on the
        > trail conditions
        > this year? Especially the high country? My horse and
        > I are entered in
        > the ride, and just curious as to how "bad" the bogs
        > etc. will be?
        > Thanks so much,
        > Jonni

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      • mom_of_wesley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
          Wow, thanks so much for the great details Glenn! The Tevis trail
          crosses at 89 and the Truckee river, and then along a hiking trail
          along the South slope of Squaw Valley. The trail re-connects with the
          historic route about a mile short of Watson's Monument. We ride up
          the service road under the ski lifts to the top. I thought that the
          trail was pretty much the same for the run and ride, but somewhere
          the runners do more miles between Squaw and Auburn, that the riders
          don't, as we have about 8 miles of trail before we get to 89 and the
          Truckee River.

          This has been such a weird weather year, and hopefully it will stay
          warm enough to melt off most of the snow before the ride. But then we
          will have the nasty bogs and mud through Granite Chief. This will be
          my 3rd attempt, and hopefully it will be "3rd times the charm".
          Getting a horse ready in the "flats" of Texas has been tough, so I
          took the horse out to CA for his last conditioning. (and MY
          conditioning)

          Congrads to all those who did the run, and thanks to all volunteers
          who go out and help at these events so WE can participate.

          Jonni (near Dallas TX)
        • glenn@newcastlecrosscountry.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
            Jonni, good luck to you. I was the sweeper for the run so I
            had plenty of time to check out the conditions. Hopefully
            most of the snow will be gone but there's going to be areas
            where, because of the runoff, that it's going to be wet.

            Glenn