trail conditions?

  • mom_of_wesley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2005
      Now that the run is over, can anyone report on the trail conditions
      this year? Especially the high country? My horse and I are entered in
      the ride, and just curious as to how "bad" the bogs etc. will be?
      Thanks so much,
      Jonni
    • glenn@newcastlecrosscountry.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
        Jonni, I know Tevis starts near Truckee but I don't know where
        you enter our course- maybe near Lyon's Ridge??? Anyway, for
        WS, once over the peak at Squaw, the area to Lyon's Ridge is
        pretty spotty with snow. You can go a few hundred yards with
        snow and then another few hundred yards with no snow- with the
        snow being in the shadier areas. Where there is snow it is
        quite thick but very icy due to the constant heating and
        cooling. It's quite dangerous. Most of this should melt by
        Tevis. There's also a lot of water from the snow melt. From
        Lyon's to Red Star, the snow is very patchy. There is snow
        along side of the trail by Elephant's trunk and Cougar Rock.
        The brief patches are icy and are usually located where
        there is not much sun (slope areas with tree that only get
        partial sun). There are also several tree down blocking the
        trail but one of our safety patrol volunteers gave this
        information on the location to one of the Tevis people at the
        race (Bill Johnson) and he is notifying the forest service.
        The sectioin from Red Star to Robinson also has snow (and
        trees). There is little snow in the first 3 miles to Robinson
        but the snow get more pronounced and thicker the closer you
        get to Robinson. Not real icy though. Being on Soda Spring
        Rd, I think most of this will be gone by Tevis as well but if
        not, horses should have no problem going through whatever
        snow is remaining. Hope this helps.

        Glenn
      • firepotter
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
          Jonnie,

          I ran the race.
          You should not have any problem. Most of the snow
          should be gone by Tevis. It will be muddy though. Hope
          your horse don't mind that...

          Gary

          --- mom_of_wesley <trigger@...> wrote:

          > Now that the run is over, can anyone report on the
          > trail conditions
          > this year? Especially the high country? My horse and
          > I are entered in
          > the ride, and just curious as to how "bad" the bogs
          > etc. will be?
          > Thanks so much,
          > Jonni

          Yahoo! Sports
          http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
        • mom_of_wesley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
            Wow, thanks so much for the great details Glenn! The Tevis trail
            crosses at 89 and the Truckee river, and then along a hiking trail
            along the South slope of Squaw Valley. The trail re-connects with the
            historic route about a mile short of Watson's Monument. We ride up
            the service road under the ski lifts to the top. I thought that the
            trail was pretty much the same for the run and ride, but somewhere
            the runners do more miles between Squaw and Auburn, that the riders
            don't, as we have about 8 miles of trail before we get to 89 and the
            Truckee River.

            This has been such a weird weather year, and hopefully it will stay
            warm enough to melt off most of the snow before the ride. But then we
            will have the nasty bogs and mud through Granite Chief. This will be
            my 3rd attempt, and hopefully it will be "3rd times the charm".
            Getting a horse ready in the "flats" of Texas has been tough, so I
            took the horse out to CA for his last conditioning. (and MY
            conditioning)

            Congrads to all those who did the run, and thanks to all volunteers
            who go out and help at these events so WE can participate.

            Jonni (near Dallas TX)
          • glenn@newcastlecrosscountry.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 29, 2005
              Jonni, good luck to you. I was the sweeper for the run so I
              had plenty of time to check out the conditions. Hopefully
              most of the snow will be gone but there's going to be areas
              where, because of the runoff, that it's going to be wet.

              Glenn