Duncan Creek Crossing?

  • ahergert@fnmoc.navy.mil
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001
      A question from this 1st-timer for you veterans. In this dry year, are
      we going to get wet feet at Duncan Creek or might it be possible to
      stay dry and not need a shoe change at Robinson? I see that a lot of
      the rivers and creeks in the Sierras are at only 10-20% of normal.
      Thanks.

      Andy Hergert
      Seaside, CA
    • thewashman@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001
        Andy,

        I would recomend changing shoes at Robinson Flat for two reasons. First, there is a better than average chance that there will be water before climbing up to Robinson. Also, there will be water in sections after cresting Immigrant Pass. The second reason is that, up to Robinson Flat, most of the course is rather rough trail. After Robinson, the course is mostly dirt roads or trail with relatively good footing. If you are one who wears trail shoes, I would recommend them up to Robinson and then change to good, cushiony road shoes. The only other place where a shoe change will be necessary, is at the river crossing, provided they don't ferry you across this year.

        Have a good race. I wish I could be there this year but, sometimes you gotta do other things.

        Later,
        Jeff Washburn