Re: WS Cutoffs and Overall Time Limit

  • Jerry McDonald
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2000
      I fell reasonably sure that the WS Board probably markets this race
      to runners and potential sponsors based on prestige more than the
      percentage of finishers. The fact of the matter is that a lower
      percentage of finishers probably lends itself to greater level of
      prestige. This is why runners like Carl (60+ years old, 2 DNF's, 0
      completes) and myself (45 years old, 3 DNF's, 0 completes) keep
      coming back to States. When I finally get a buckle, I don't want
      somebody asking me if that's a pre or post 2001 bronze. I want the
      buckle to speak for itself ... I want it to say; "Yes I finished in
      less than 30 hours". See ya on the trails. Jerry McDonald

      --- In ws100@egroups.com, greg m soderlund <gsoderlund@j...> wrote:
      > Regarding Carl Pegel's recent posting --
      >
      > Carl has displayed a very real and honorable desire to complete WS
      and I
      > applaud him for that.
      >
      > I will pass along his letter to the WS Board when we meet in late
      > September. While I am sympathetic, Carl should not be optimistic
      > regarding an extension of the cutoffs for the 60+ runners.
      >
      > The primary argument against special treatment for one group of
      runners
      > is the unavoidable fact that not all groups of runners can or will
      > benefit. To tailor WS in such a way as to make it "Fair" for every
      group
      > as defined by age or sex is impossible. As Carl states -- "But
      that
      > does not take away that there are about 20 participants 60 and over
      every
      > year, and they, and especially those 65 and older, are at a decided
      > disadvantage. The statistics confirm it." Yes, age is a major
      factor
      > when considering the possibility of finishing in under 30 hours,
      however,
      > it is not as you state, "Impossible." Many have finished WS and
      several
      > have broken 24 hours over the years. Age will always be a factor
      in any
      > sporting event, particularly the extreme sports such as WS.
      >
      > A second but possibly the most important argument against extending
      > cutoffs is the volunteers. One must be very familiar with the
      logistics
      > of an event as massive as WS, to completely understand this area.
      We are
      > very fortunate to have the hundreds of volunteers that dedicate so
      much
      > of their time to this event year after year. To volunteer for WS
      or any
      > other ultra, is to add some stress to your life. Every ultra
      manager
      > walks a tightrope in this area and we never want to overextend our
      > welcome and will often go to extreme lengths to make the volunteers
      > happy. Adding two hours (at the front or the back) to WS simply
      would
      > not go over well with the volunteers, guaranteed. I'm sorry but
      that is
      > a fact that drives many decisions regarding "Fairness" in every
      ultra
      > event. It is inherent, connot be avoided and is always part of any
      > decision.
      >
      > No unofficials, bandits or early starters will be allowed on the WS
      > course.
      >
      > I very much, would like to see Carl at the finish line of WS next
      year!

      > This will be my last response regarding this subject and will
      personally
      > notify Carl of any changes in the rules, should they occur.
      >
      > Respectfully,
      >
      > Greg Soderlund, RD
      > Western States Endurance Run http://www.ws100.com
      > Way Too Cool 50K, Montrail/Patagonia American River 50
      > 242 Hartnell Place, Sacramento, CA 95825 Ph : 916-456-1122
      > http://www.run100s.com/snu -- E-mail: gsoderlund@j...
      >

      > On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:12:43 -0400 Carl Pegels <cpegels@a...>
      > writes:
      > > I am somewhat disappointed that only a limited group of people
      > > participate in a chat session such as this one. Also when a topic
      of
      > > limited interest is brought up it either creates a yawn or little
      > > response. Runners over 60 make up only about 5 percent of the
      WS100