RE: [ws100] WS Cutoffs and Overall Time Limit

  • Ziesing, Hunter S
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2000
      just got back from the east (7 weeks)
      back on the bike
      not sure if i do another ultra--remember i only trained 7 weeks for the
      WS100 and the result was a long recovery from shin splints
      I will apply again and go for under 24 and train longer if i do it.
      it is gonna be tough to beat last year because finishing was the biggest
      personal victory in my life on limited training.
      I may just volunteer and do course work instead.f
      many people helped me last year and i want to return the favor
      may be i will pace run Carl (old fart)

      IMPORTANT NOTICES:
      This message is intended only for the addressee. Please notify the
      sender by e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. If you are not the
      intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose, or distribute this message
      or its contents to any other person and any such actions may be unlawful.

      Banc of America Securities LLC("BAS") does not accept time
      sensitive, action-oriented messages or transaction orders, including orders
      to purchase or sell securities, via e-mail.

      BAS reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all
      messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this
      e-mail address may be stored on the BAS e-mail system.
    • greg m soderlund
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2000
        Regarding Carl Pegel's recent posting --

        Carl has displayed a very real and honorable desire to complete WS and I
        applaud him for that.

        I will pass along his letter to the WS Board when we meet in late
        September. While I am sympathetic, Carl should not be optimistic
        regarding an extension of the cutoffs for the 60+ runners.

        The primary argument against special treatment for one group of runners
        is the unavoidable fact that not all groups of runners can or will
        benefit. To tailor WS in such a way as to make it "Fair" for every group
        as defined by age or sex is impossible. As Carl states -- "But that
        does not take away that there are about 20 participants 60 and over every
        year, and they, and especially those 65 and older, are at a decided
        disadvantage. The statistics confirm it." Yes, age is a major factor
        when considering the possibility of finishing in under 30 hours, however,
        it is not as you state, "Impossible." Many have finished WS and several
        have broken 24 hours over the years. Age will always be a factor in any
        sporting event, particularly the extreme sports such as WS.

        A second but possibly the most important argument against extending
        cutoffs is the volunteers. One must be very familiar with the logistics
        of an event as massive as WS, to completely understand this area. We are
        very fortunate to have the hundreds of volunteers that dedicate so much
        of their time to this event year after year. To volunteer for WS or any
        other ultra, is to add some stress to your life. Every ultra manager
        walks a tightrope in this area and we never want to overextend our
        welcome and will often go to extreme lengths to make the volunteers
        happy. Adding two hours (at the front or the back) to WS simply would
        not go over well with the volunteers, guaranteed. I'm sorry but that is
        a fact that drives many decisions regarding "Fairness" in every ultra
        event. It is inherent, connot be avoided and is always part of any
        decision.

        No unofficials, bandits or early starters will be allowed on the WS
        course.

        I very much, would like to see Carl at the finish line of WS next year!

        This will be my last response regarding this subject and will personally
        notify Carl of any changes in the rules, should they occur.

        Respectfully,

        Greg Soderlund, RD
        Western States Endurance Run http://www.ws100.com
        Way Too Cool 50K, Montrail/Patagonia American River 50
        242 Hartnell Place, Sacramento, CA 95825 Ph : 916-456-1122
        http://www.run100s.com/snu -- E-mail: gsoderlund@...

        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Jerry McDonald
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2000
          I fell reasonably sure that the WS Board probably markets this race
          to runners and potential sponsors based on prestige more than the
          percentage of finishers. The fact of the matter is that a lower
          percentage of finishers probably lends itself to greater level of
          prestige. This is why runners like Carl (60+ years old, 2 DNF's, 0
          completes) and myself (45 years old, 3 DNF's, 0 completes) keep
          coming back to States. When I finally get a buckle, I don't want
          somebody asking me if that's a pre or post 2001 bronze. I want the
          buckle to speak for itself ... I want it to say; "Yes I finished in
          less than 30 hours". See ya on the trails. Jerry McDonald