Changing the cut-off at WST

  • Bruce Hoff
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24 4:49 PM
      I'm not 60+, but I find it often helps to try to look from someone
      else's perspective. Let's see . . . suppose the cut-off for Western
      States was twenty hours. I can't run this race that fast, so I'd never
      be a Western States finisher. With such a cut-off (and appropriate
      qualifying standards) the race would have an incredible aura: Any
      finisher would achieve tremendous status. The competition would
      be an olympic-level event. To say that you were accepted into, and
      training for that race would really open someone's eyes.

      Would I try to get the RD to dumb-down the standards to accomodate
      me? That would reduce the race's aura. It'd be like taking the mountains
      out of Hardrock, the heat out of Bad Water, or arguing that I should
      be allowed to display my six-minute-mile prowess at the Olympic games.

      Naw -- leave it alone. I'll respectfully relegate myself to spectator status.