RE: [ws100] Western States 100 comments

  • Lewis, Chuck
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2000
      Comments from some of us that didn't make it to the finish line???? Well
      okay, I didn't make it to the finish line...... But I did make it to
      Michigan Bluff.....
      I am 49 and was well trained. On race day I felt I was healthy and ready. I
      ran a conservative race and should have finished well. I even had a bet
      going for a Double Bacon Western Cheeseburger for Carl's Jr. But........ it
      didn't happen.
      I loved the race, at least the part of it I was in. I wouldn't change a
      thing. Although I have to say I liked some of Jim Winne's ideas....
      Especially the one about a pacer for the entire run....
      There was a story, awhile back in the cycling world. Francisco Moser, a
      contender in the Tour de France, had a friend that was a World class
      sprinter. He too wanted to be a contender in the Tour, but couldn't climb
      hills. He worked one whole year on hills, but that year's Tour found him
      getting dropped on 3rd or 4th climb instead of the 1st or 2nd. He still
      wasn't a contender in the Tour that year.... in fact it was his worst finish
      ever and he wasn't even in the money on the sprints. Francisco's comments...
      Choose your races wisely.... Use your strong suite.
      I've personally never been a hill runner in the 35+ years that I've been
      running and I don't expect I'm going to see any miracles real soon. But I'd
      do it again.... Just the way it is.
      Chuck Lewis