Odyssey Writing Workshop Press Release

  • Elizabeth Anne Ensley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2009
      ****************************

      Publicity Release

      January 2009

      ODYSSEY WRITING WORKSHOP

      ANNOUNCES SUMMER 2009 SESSION

      About Odyssey

      Since its inception in 1996, Odyssey has earned a place as one of the
      most respected workshops in the science fiction, fantasy, and horror
      writing community. Odyssey is for developing writers whose work is
      approaching publication quality and for published writers who want to
      improve their work. The six-week workshop combines an intensive
      learning and writing experience with in-depth feedback on student
      manuscripts. Top authors, editors, and agents have served as guest
      lecturers, including George R. R. Martin, Harlan Ellison, Jane Yolen,
      Terry Brooks, Robert J. Sawyer, Ben Bova, Nancy Kress, Elizabeth Hand,
      Jeff VanderMeer, Donald Maass, Sheila Williams, Shawna McCarthy, and
      Dan Simmons. Fifty-three percent of Odyssey graduates go on to
      professional publication.

      The program is held every summer on Saint Anselm College's beautiful
      campus in Manchester , NH . Saint Anselm is one of the finest liberal
      arts colleges in the country, dedicated to excellence in education,
      and its campus provides a unique, lovely setting and state-of-the art
      facilities for Odyssey students. College credit is available upon
      request.

      Jeanne Cavelos, Odyssey's director, founder, and primary instructor,
      is a best-selling author and a former senior editor at Bantam
      Doubleday Dell Publishing, where she won the World Fantasy Award for
      her work. Being a writer/editor makes Cavelos uniquely suited to
      provide students with constructive and professional critiques of their
      work. "I give the same unflinchingly honest, concrete, detailed
      feedback that I provided as a senior editor," Cavelos said. Her
      typewritten critiques average around 1,000 words, and her handwritten
      line edits on manuscripts are extensive. In addition, she guides
      students through the six weeks, gaining in-depth knowledge of their
      work, providing detailed assessments of their strengths and weaknesses
      in private meetings, and helping them target their weaknesses one by one.

      Odyssey class time is split between workshopping sessions and
      lectures. An advanced, comprehensive curriculum covers the elements
      of fiction writing in depth. Students learn the tools and techniques
      necessary to strengthen their writing.

      The workshop runs from June 8th to July 17th, 2009 . Class meets for
      four hours in the morning, five days a week. Students spend about
      eight hours more per day writing and critiquing each

      other's work. Prospective students, aged eighteen and up, apply from
      all over the world. The early admission application deadline is
      JANUARY 31st, and the regular admission deadline is APRIL 8th.
      Tuition is $1900, and housing is $700 for a double room and $1400 for
      a single.

      Meet Our 2009 Writer-in-Residence

      Odyssey's 2009 writer-in-residence is Carrie Vaughn, New York Times
      bestselling author and Odyssey 1998 graduate. Carrie is the author of
      the phenomenally popular "Kitty" novels, about a werewolf who hosts a
      talk radio show. The first novel, Kitty and the Midnight Hour has
      over a hundred thousand copies in print. Books five and six of the
      series, Dead Man's Hand and Kitty Raises Hell, will appear in 2009.
      Carrie's short stories have appeared in Realms of Fantasy, Weird
      Tales, George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards series, and other anthologies.
      She has a Master's degree in English Literature from the University
      of Colorado at Boulder and has been a lifelong science fiction fan and
      reader.

      Other Guest Lecturers

      Odyssey is pleased to welcome its 2009 guest lecturers: bestselling
      author Jeffrey A. Carver; award-winning authors Melissa Scott,
      Patricia Bray, and Jack Ketchum, and Editor-in-Chief of the Ace and
      Roc science fiction/fantasy imprints, Ginjer Buchanan.

      Odyssey Graduates

      If you're reading science fiction, fantasy, and horror, you're reading
      the work of Odyssey graduates. If you've read recent issues of some
      of the top fiction magazines in the field--Realms of Fantasy,
      Asimov's, Analog, Weird Tales, Fantasy Magazine, Intergalactic
      Medicine Show--you've read stories by Odyssey graduates Theodora Goss,
      David Barr Kirtley, Eric James Stone, Clayton Kroh, Larry Hodges,
      Matthew S. Rotundo, James Maxey, Carrie Vaughn, Carl Frederick, and
      Andrea Kail.

      If you've been to the bookstore lately, you've seen books by Odyssey
      graduates, including Superpowers by David J. Schwartz, published by
      Random House; Dragonforge by James Maxey, published by Solaris Books;
      Maledicte by Lane Robins, published by Del Rey; Bloodstone by Barbara
      Campbell, published by DAW; Red Dragon Codex by R. D. Henham,
      published by Mirrorstone Books; The Mirror by Natalia Lincoln,
      published by Space & Time Books; The Eunuch's Heir by Elaine Isaak,
      published by HarperCollins; and Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie
      Vaughn, published by Warner.

      Comments from the Class of 2008

      "I sold three novels before I came to Odyssey. I just wish I had gone
      to Odyssey before I wrote them--they would have been better books.
      Odyssey freakin' rocks!"

      --J. Justin Gustainis, author of Evil Ways

      "You will never be more eager to work yourself to the bone. Nor will
      you have as much reward for doing it. The six weeks at Odyssey have
      done more for my writing career than my bachelor's degree in creative
      writing. I only wish I'd known about it sooner."

      --Breanna Wojcik

      Other Odyssey Resources and Services

      The Odyssey website www.odysseyworkshop.org offers free podcasts,
      writing and publishing tips, a class syllabus, and more information
      about how to apply. An overview of the Odyssey Critique Service is
      also available on the website at http://www.sff.net/odyssey/crit.html.
      This service provides authors with professional-level feedback on
      their writing, done with the thoroughness and depth for which Odyssey
      is known.

      Those interested in applying to the workshop should visit the website,
      phone/fax (603) 673-6234, or e-mail jcavelos@....