    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 1999
      TO UNSUBSCRIBE E-MAIL: wrestling-online-unsubscribe@egroups.com

      W R E S T L I N G - O N L I N E
      N E W S L E T T E R

      Thursday, September 9th, 1999

      I S S U E # 4 0 0

      The Official daily newsletter of Wrestling-Online.com

      ----------------------------------
      | Editor: |
      | Colin Vassallo |
      | Editor@... |
      ----------------------------------

      ****** GET YOUR OWN CUSTOM MADE WRESTLING T-SHIRTS FROM
      http://www.wearthis.com STARTING FROM JUST $10!!! DURABLE IMPRINT ON
      GREAT QUALITY HANES 50/50 HEAVYWEIGHT T-SHIRTS! WEARTHIS.COM - OFFICIAL
      MERCHANDISE MAKERS FOR WRESTLING-ONLINE.COM ******

      Issue #400! Woooooo.

      Ok some stuff regarding the "RW" article from yesterday's edition. I
      appriciate all comments, bad or good. Mailing me with messages like "How
      can you let that fucknut right in your newsletter" etc won't get you
      anywhere. The article is nothing but opinions by a person. Everyone's
      entitled to his own opinion. If you don't like it, well, tough luck,
      skip the article or unsubscribe. Some mailed me they are unsubscribing
      because of the article. Go ahead, but don't e-mail me to get you off the
      list. If you were good enough to read his article, you're good enough to
      read the first friggin line of the newsletter.

      Not alot of news today...back tomorrow!

      ======================================
      ADVERTISEMENT:
      ** C L A S S I C M O M E N T S **

      You can now relive wrestling's greatest moments at Wrestling-Online.com!
      Wrestling video clips from the 80s and early 90s. Jump in the time
      machine, and get ready for a wild ride!
      [http://www.wrestling-online.com/classicmoments%5d
      ======================================

      > RAW RATINGS
      - Once again RAW was preempted on USA Network due to the US Open. RAW's
      timeslot was from 11:00PM till 1:00AM EST. First hour got a 4.6 and the
      second hour got a 4.2 for a composite of 4.4. Quarter hour ratings were
      4.3, 4.6, 4.7, 4.9, 4.3, 4.3, 4.0, 4.2, and 4.0. RAW still won the
      ratings this week 4.4 to Nitro's 4.1. The US Open got a 1.6.

      > WEEKEND RATINGS
      - Livewire pulled a 1.7 rating, Superstars did a 1.8 and Heat got a 2.5.
      Heat started half an hour early, which caused the ratings to drop.

      > CHANGING OF MAIN EVENTS?
      - It is now being reported that the main event for Unforgiven will
      feature Triple H vs Mankind vs Undertaker vs Kane vs Big Show vs The
      Rock, making it a 6 men WWF championship match. This is the first time
      that's been done in WWF history. Something close was at In Your House
      "Final Four", a match between Undertaker, Bret Hart, Steve Austin and
      Vader. Rumored to be the guest referee for the match is Stone Cold Steve
      Austin!

      > STEVIE RICHARDS ON BYTE THIS!
      - Tonight at 6PM EST, the special guest for Byte This! will be Stevie
      Richards! You can talk to Big Stevie Cool on the show live by calling
      1-888-LIVEWWF (548-3993) between 6PM and 7PM EST.

      > SMACKDOWN PREVIEW!
      - As we all saw on RAW, the unholy duo of the Undertaker and The Big
      Show is hell-bent on regaining its lost gold, challenging The Rock and
      Mankind to a Buried Alive match to take place on SmackDown! The current
      Champions accepted the challenge, setting up what may well be the most
      brutal contest to ever take place on network television. Also Stone Cold
      Steve Austin makes his return on WWF TV and there will be some surprises
      for tonight's Smackdown, on UPN!

      > MNF NOT DOWN FOR THE COUNT, By USAToday.com
      - ABC's Boomer Esiason said he's going to have more fun, offering humor
      on Monday Night Football this season.

      When the subject of how to deal with competition from pro wrestling was
      broached Tuesday in a conference call, Esiason offered a one-liner, "Me
      and Al (Michaels) could start wrestling in the booth."

      Off last year's ratings, though, wrestling is hardly a laughing matter
      to MNF, which opens with Monday's Miami-Denver game at its former 9 ET
      time slot.

      While MNF was slipping 7% to an all-time low 13.9 rating, the combined
      ratings of USA's World Wrestling Federation show and TNT's Monday Nitro
      translated into a 7.0 over-the-air broadcast rating.

      No wonder Howard Eskin of George Michael's Sports Machine, in a
      Rumorville segment last month, claimed that the NFL had offered the WWF
      $100 million to move from Monday nights.

      The WWF still is scheduled for 9-11 p.m. ET on Mondays. Jim Byrne of the
      WWF said Tuesday, "We can't confirm or deny" the NFL offer.

      So let's go to the NFL for the humor.

      "It's a joke," NFL senior vice president of broadcasting Dennis Lewin
      said late Tuesday. "The commissioner (Paul Tagliabue), Howard Katz (ABC
      Sports president) and I were having lunch when we first saw the report
      and we all got a big chuckle over it.

      "It's not true, and Howard Katz told me he knew nothing of the report
      either.

      "They said MNF wasn't supposed to beat (CBS') Rhoda.' It's still here
      and going strong."

      Byrne notes that while MNF's demographics are strongest in the 35-49 age
      group, the "WWF's strength is from 12 to 34. And in the 25-34 group,
      we're only 20% behind and the gap is closing. They're not the juggernaut
      in that age group they say they are.

      "Aren't the young people the fans of the future?"

      "The fact is that Monday Night Football is the No. 5-rated show for the
      fifth straight year," ABC producer Ken Wolfe said. "We don't think we've
      got anything to worry about regarding wrestling."

      Lewin adds: "Is it possible wrestling is having some effect on Monday
      Night Football? Everything in TV has some effect.

      "I'd be surprised if the ratings aren't up this year."

      If Monday Night Football's ratings rise, credit the move back to the 9
      ET time slot. Only in the East did the switch to an 8:20 p.m. kickoff
      improve viewership, and only by 3%. The show tumbled 14% in the Central
      and Pacific zones and 11% in the Mountain zone.

      It also didn't help that the average margin of victory on MNF was 15.6
      points, 39% greater than the 11.2 points for other games. Seven of 17
      games were decided by 20 points or more.

      "We decided if it wasn't broke, we shouldn't have fixed it," Lewin said.
      "We expected a loss in the Pacific, but it wasn't offset by the East."

      ** W R E S T L I N G M E G A S T O R E **

      NEW at the Wrestling Megastore, the biographies of The Rock and Mankind!
      Pre-order now!! Just go to [http://wrestling-online.com/megastore/%5d and
      pre-order the books before they are sold out! Our prices? $16.10 for the
      Rock's book and $15.40 for Mankind's! Have a nice day!

      > FINAL GOODBYE TO BRIAN...
      - Another personality from the wrestling world passed away yesterday at
      7:15PM EST. Brian Hilderbrand, better known as Mark Curtis as the WCW
      referee lost his battle with stomach cancer after being diagnosed with
      the disease in 1997. You can send your condolences to his family at: The
      Hildebrand Family, 1351 Gentry Road, Talbott, TN 37877-9015. The funeral
      will be held on Saturday at 1PM at the Manley Baptist Church, in
      Morristown. Both WWF.com and WCW.com made announcements on his death.
      Here at Wrestling-Online Network, we express our deepest sympathies to
      his wife Pamela, his family, and friends.

      > NITRO RATINGS
      - Again unopposed this week, Nitro improved it's ratings getting 3.8 in
      the first hour, 4.2 in the second hour and 4.4 in the third hour for a
      4.1 composite. Quarter hour ratings were: 3.5, 3.7, 3.7, 4.2, 4.5, 3.9,
      4.2, 4.2, 4.3, 4.5, 4.5, 4.4, and 4.4

      > MORE RELESED FROM THE COMPANY
      - Scott Putski, Ciclope and Damien were also released from WCW this week
      along with Whipwreck, Super Calo, Swoll, 4x4 and Chase Tantum. According
      to Dave Meltzer, ECW's executive producer Paul Heyman is only interested
      in Super Calo for a full time job with his federation. He also said he
      could use Whipwreck to put over other talents in the company, but
      doesn't want him on a full time basis.

      > DDP'S STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS
      - First thing I would like to do is say a special goodbye to a great
      guy. Brian Hildebrand was the toughest SOB I ever met. For those of you
      who don’t know, Brian was one of WCW’s best referees. Any time I had the
      choice of a referee, he would always be my first choice. In the last few
      hours, Brian died from cancer. He fought it really hard and always had a
      positive attitude. I like to think I am the most positive person on the
      planet, but next to him I was Mr. Negative.

      One of the coolest things I ever saw was one night in Knoxville,
      Tennessee. If you have been getting these emails from me for some time
      now, you may remember the story. You see, they did a tribute to Brian.
      Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit stick out in my mind as the guys who put
      it together. They were in the main event and I believe this happened
      after the main event. It might have been before. I am not sure. Malenko
      and Benoit brought Hildebrand into the ring for a special tribute. They
      hit the Nature Boy’s music and Ric Flair walked that aisle totally
      unannounced and unadvertised and did a speech and tributeto Brian.

      Flair presented him with a replica of the World Title belt. Now, I am
      not talking about one of those belts you can buy for $100. I am talking
      about a real replica that was identical to the real World Title strap.
      Flair did it with only the kind of style that he can do. It was one of
      the coolest things I ever saw.

      A few months later, Brian took a turn for the worst, but kicked out. He
      was down to 70 pounds and fought his way back. A few months after that,
      I saw him again in Knoxville, TN but that night he was refereeing. That
      is the night I said to him, “I consider myself Mr. Positive, but next to
      you I am Mr. Negative.” He actually said to me that my positive attitude
      had helped him at times. I don’t think anything ever made me feel better
      than that. He was a great guy, a great person, and will be missed sorely
      by everyone who knew him.

      God Bless you, bro.

      That’s it for now, as always, it’s been your pleasure… Diamond Dallas
      Page

      The editor can be reached at Editor@...

      Copyright 1996-1999 Wrestling-Online