    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 1999

      W R E S T L I N G - O N L I N E
      N E W S L E T T E R

      Thursday, July 1st, 1999

      I S S U E # 3 5 9

      The Official daily newsletter of Wrestling-Online.com

      ----------------------------------
      | Editor: |
      | Colin Vassallo |
      | Editor@... |
      ----------------------------------

      ****** GET YOUR OWN CUSTOM MADE WRESTLING T-SHIRTS FROM
      http://www.wearthis.com STARTING FROM JUST $10!!! DURABLE IMPRINT ON
      GREAT QUALITY HANES 50/50 HEAVYWEIGHT T-SHIRTS! WEARTHIS.COM - OFFICIAL
      MERCHANDISE MAKERS FOR WRESTLING-ONLINE.COM ******

      Nothing to say today, enjoy the issue.

      ==============
      ADVERTISEMENT:
      The famous WrestleBoard! has moved locations from MD-Internet.com to
      wrestlingdotcom.com, so update your bookmarks now! Check our new site
      including full multimedia galleries, interactive fun, and the most
      exclusive up to date news and reports that makes us, WrestleBoard! --
      Wrestling News All-Day Every-Day
      http://www.wrestlingdotcom.com/news
      ==============

      >> WRESTLING MOVE KILLS BOY OF 3
      By Kendall Anderson, [Dallas Morning News]

      A 7-year-old North Dallas boy emulating a pro wrestling move he learned
      from television accidentally killed his 3-year-old brother, authorities
      said Wednesday.

      Dallas police said they initially suspected that an adult had to have
      caused the 3-year-old's severe head injury, which prompted his mother to
      take him to Children's
      Medical Center in Dallas.

      Then they talked to the boy's older brother.

      "He said he pushed his brother down . . . and said he'd seen it on
      wrestling on TV,"
      said Lt. Bill Walsh, who oversees investigations for police youth and
      family crimes division.

      The little boy died May 27 from brain swelling.

      Asked to demonstrate what he had done, the 7-year-old backed up about 10
      feet and ran toward a police detective who was holding up a doll about
      the same size as the 3-year-old.

      As he neared the doll, the boy thrust one arm out at shoulder level and
      forcefully struck the doll at its neck, knocking it backward, Detective
      Dan Lesher said.

      Pro wrestling fans will recognize that as a "clothesline," or "lariat."

      The boy then jumped up and down on the doll, police said, although
      autopsy results revealed no evidence that 7-year-old did that to his
      brother.

      "This shows that some of the stuff those professional wrestlers are
      doing is very
      dangerous for kids," Lt. Walsh said.

      Police declined to identify the 7-year-old, and the 3-year-old is not
      being named to
      protect the family's identity.

      The 7-year-old will not face a criminal charge because of his age and
      the nature of his
      brother's death. Dr. Jeffrey Barnard, Dallas County chief medical
      examiner, ruled the
      death an accident caused by trauma to the head.

      "I don't think we were going to serve society very well if we had ruled
      it a homicide,"
      Dr. Barnard said. "But I think the public and parents need to realize
      some of the
      adverse affects of these wrestling shows. These kids do not understand
      these moves can be dangerous."

      The boys' mother apparently was outside the home when the boys were
      roughhousing May 24 or 25, police said. She could not be reached for
      comment.

      Police said the 7-year-old was very forthcoming about his actions when
      they interviewed him at the hospital, as his brother, on life support,
      fought to stay alive.

      Hospital officials contacted police because they thought an adult might
      have inflicted
      the injury, which occurred on a carpet-covered concrete floor.

      "He knew his brother was in bad shape," Detective Lesher said. "He was
      crying and
      upset and said he did not want to hurt him . . . he just wanted to
      wrestle with him."

      Doctors told police the 3-year-old's head injury was not consistent with
      a simple fall
      and that it resembled an injury from a severe car accident.

      The 7-year-old also talked about his favorite wrestling stars,
      mentioning Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Undertaker, two of the top
      draws for the Stamford, Conn.-based World Wrestling Federation.

      The WWF, which recently sold out Reunion Arena in Dallas, produces cable
      television's top-rated show, Monday Night Raw, on the USA Network.
      Another WWF show, Sunday Night Heat, also regularly ranks among cable's
      top 10. WWF officials did not immediately return telephone calls seeking
      comment.

      An official with the rival World Championship Wrestling, the nation's
      other major pro
      wrestling organization, said his company was saddened to learn of the
      Dallas boy's death.

      WCW spokesman Alan Sharp also said his company is not responsible.

      "Anytime a child gets seriously injured, it's clearly a tragedy," he
      said. "Kids have
      always imitated their heroes - that's part of being a kid."

      Mr. Sharp said wrestlers in his company, a branch of Ted Turner's
      Atlanta-based media-sports empire, have years of training on how to
      execute high-risk moves.

      "It's our hope that our young fans play safe," he said.

      He said that about 10 percent of WCW's viewers are between 2 and 11
      years old, and an additional 11 percent or so are teens.

      "Primarily, our audience is adults ages 18 to 49," he said.

      Police did not blame the popular wrestling programs for the boy's death
      but cautioned
      parents to be wary of them.

      "You've got to monitor what your kids see on TV," Detective Lesher said.
      "Parents are responsible for what their kids are seeing on TV, when it
      comes right down to it."

      Local authorities said they are not aware of any other deaths or serious
      injuries from
      wrestling-related moves. But police and Dr. Barnard said they knew of a
      handful of
      similar deaths or serious injuries involving teens in other states.

      In one Midwestern state, an 18-year-old killed his best friend when he
      performed a
      "pile driver," another wrestling move, on him in the back yard,
      officials said.

      "This concerns me," Dr. Barnard said. "It's not only a problem here in
      this city."

      > RAW RATINGS
      - First hour of RAW drew a 6.4, and the second hour got a 7.2 for a 6.8
      composite. Quarter hour breakdowns are as follows: 6.3, 6.0, 6.6, 6.7,
      6.9, 6.7, 7.3, 7.2 and a whopping 9.5 for the overrun.

      > JERICHO SIGNS!
      - According to the official WWF website at WWF.com, "Lionheart" Chris
      Jericho signed a multi-year contract with the WWF. If this was legally
      right, we don't know, as Jericho remains under contract with WCW till
      July 27th, 1999.

      > CHAZ AND RYAN ON BYTE THIS! TONIGHT
      - One's a kid from New Jersey looking to have a good time and the other
      is just really,
      really hot. They'll both be with us tonight live on Byte This! And good
      news, Ryan will be in the studio with us! (This means you'll be able to
      stare at her!) Byte This! starts at 7PM EST. The number to call to talk
      with the crew of Byte This! is 1-888-LIVEWWF (548-3993) and you have to
      call between 7-7:30pm ET. (WWF.com)

      > WEEKEND RATINGS
      - Livewire pulled a 2.8, Superstars did a 2.0 and WWF Sunday Night Heat
      got a 4.1.

      > WWF PROGRAMMING ON TOP OF NEILON RANKINGS
      - Each ratings point represents 994,000 households

      #1 ``WWF Wrestling'' (Monday, 10 p.m.), USA, 4.6, 4.61 million homes.
      #2 ``WWF Wrestling'' (Monday, 9 p.m.), USA, 4.5, 4.45 million homes.
      #5 ``WWF Wrestling'' (Sunday, 7 p.m.), USA, 3.2, 3.13 million homes.

      > NITRO RATINGS
      - Monday Nitro got a 3.9 in the first hour, 3.2 in the second and a 3.6
      in the third for a 3.6 composite. In head to head competition with RAW,
      Nitro lost 6.8 to 3.4 Quarter hour breakdowns are as follows: 3.2, 3.7,
      4.6, 4.2, 2.8, 3.3, 3.4, 3.3, 3.5, 3.5, 3.3, 4.4

      > WRIGHT TO RETURN SOON
      - Bob Ryder of the WCW Hotline reports that Alex Wright is expected to
      return to WCW soon, possibly as soon as next week's 7/5 Georgia Dome
      Nitro in Atlanta. Expect to see
      some vignettes to air on WCW television leading up to Wright's new
      character. (Joe DeLeon)

      > WHY WAS BISCHOFF ABSENT?
      - According to Dave Scherer, WCW president Eric Bischoff did not attend
      the last Nitro because he was in California to discuss the future of
      Goldberg with his agent Barry Bloom.

      > WHAT'S UP WITH THE WCW US TITLE?
      - According to Dave Meltzer, World Championship Wrestling is going to
      strip Scott Steiner of the US Title because of injury. No word on if a
      tournament will take place but "The Cat" Ernest Miller is scheduled to
      be the next US Champion. Apparently the WCW
      Booking Committe loves Miller and this is a reward for his dedication.
      Also note that he is the karate instructor of Eric Bischoff's son. Does
      Miller deserve the US Title before
      Booker T, Chris Benoit or Saturn, you can form your own thoughts on
      that. (Joe DeLeon)

      - By Chris Petrikin -- Variety Wednesday, June 30, 1999

      HOLLYWOOD - Creative Artists Agency is ready to rumble.

      Marking a departure from CAA's past corporate clients, World
      Championship Wrestling, the professional wrestling organization founded
      by Ted Turner, has signed with the agency for representation in all
      areas. Insiders say CAA is looking to maximize the WCW name
      through marketing endeavors and to expand its already-huge audience
      through various media outlets, including TV, film, animation, music and
      Internet-related activities.

      ``This unique brand of mainstream entertainment, and its obvious allure
      to advertisers will allow us to build the franchise both domestically
      and internationally,'' said CAA
      TV packaging agent Jamie Waldron, one of the agents overseeing the WCW
      account.

      In terms of television viewership, WCW is the No. 2 professional
      wrestling organization, trailing in TV ratings to archrival World
      Wrestling Federation, which in April signed
      for representation with the Endeavor agency. WCW events are aired on
      basic-cable channels during primetime as WCW ``Monday Nitro'' on TNT and
      as ``WCW Thunder'' on the TBS Superstation. Rival WWF airs its regularly
      scheduled shows and non-pay-per-view
      specials on USA Networks. WWF also has a weekly show on UPN's primetime
      lineup this fall.

      WCW's roster of wrestler-personalities includes ``Hollywood'' Hulk
      Hogan, Goldberg, ``Macho Man'' Randy Savage, Sting, ``Diamond Dallas''
      Page, Kevin Nash and Bret Hart.

      While CAA will work to expand WCW's audience and brand recognition, WCW
      already has several media-related and promotional deals in place. Under
      a pact with Mandalay Entertainment, WCW has an exclusive, five-CD music
      tie-in deal with Tommy Boy Music, which will release CDs by various
      established artists that will be cross-promoted on WCW shows, videogames
      and homevids. Also with Mandalay, WCW is producing two action TV movies
      and a TV series. And touting its corporate synergy, WCW has a feature in
      development at Warner Bros. Both are units of Time Warner Inc.

      The editor can be reached at Editor@...

      Copyright 1996-1999 Wrestling-Online

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/wrestling-online