    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 1999

      W R E S T L I N G - O N L I N E
      N E W S L E T T E R

      Wednesday, June 9th, 1999

      I S S U E # 3 4 5

      The Official daily newsletter of Wrestling-Online.com

      ----------------------------------
      | Editor: |
      | Colin Vassallo |
      | Editor@... |
      ----------------------------------

      ****** GET YOUR OWN CUSTOM MADE WRESTLING T-SHIRTS FROM
      http://www.wearthis.com STARTING FROM JUST $10!!! DURABLE IMPRINT ON
      GREAT QUALITY HANES 50/50 HEAVYWEIGHT T-SHIRTS! WEARTHIS.COM - OFFICIAL
      MERCHANDISE MAKERS FOR WRESTLING-ONLINE.COM ******

      Nothing to say today! Later!

      >> GOSPEL ACCORDING TO GRIMLOCK
      By Grimlock, [badass@...]

      Another week another great article. Courtesy of yours truly. Last week
      received a number of responses to my article. The majority of these
      praising my efforts. However, mixed in with this I had the odd email
      from
      a cretin who thought it necessary to abuse me in jealousy. He was
      jealous
      of the fact that he did not have his own newsletter column. To those
      sorts
      of people, don’t both me with your idiocy in the future.

      Now then, onto business. The subject of my article today is the WWF’s
      lightweight division. Or lack thereof. WWF have witnessed the
      tremendous
      success of WCW’s cruiserweights and looked on in glee. Without doubt,
      every PPV, the cruiserweights steal the show. Their athleticism is
      second
      to none and they work their asses off to entertain. The majority of WCW
      cruiserweights get little to no mic time and are rarely involved in
      angles
      of any significance. What gets them over with the crowd and provides so
      many thrills and highlights, is talent. No more. No less. It is sad
      that
      in today’s wrestling two wrestlers cannot just have a match that
      everyone
      is interested in purely for the prospect of seeing two great workers
      lock
      horns in the ring in an effort to entertain. Vince McMahon and the WWF
      have started the trend which is now evident in most promotions that
      unless
      there is an interesting angle that explains the reason the two wrestlers
      are squaring off, the match will be boring and not worth watching. To
      me
      that is an indictment on the industry. However, the one exception to
      this
      rule are the Cruiserweights.

      WCW’s top notch cruiserweight division which includes the likes of Rey
      Mysterio, Kidman, Mikey Whipwreck, Psychosis and Blitzkreig are capable
      of
      putting on a 20 minute match that has the viewer enthralled for the
      entire
      contest. The majority of these matches have no background other than
      the
      cruiserweights wanting to advance up the ladder in order to garner a
      title
      shot. Totally credible in my opinion and it is capable of delivering
      the
      same level of intensity as a built up feud. I think to a large extent
      WCW
      has gotten the cruiserweight division right. Only problem with WCW’s
      cruiserweight division, in my opinion, is the lack of respect they
      receive
      when taking on heavyweights. Nonetheless, that is another issue
      altogether.

      WWF originally had a very promising lightweight division. I thought
      they
      would be able to compete with WCW in this area initially. They had
      Taka
      Michinoku, Brian Christopher, Aguila, Scott Taylor, Christian in
      addition
      to the members of Kaintai. All the previously mentioned workers are
      superb
      athletes and are capable of putting on five star matches. Brian
      Christopher and Taka had a series of superb matches. Sadly, somewhere
      down
      the line the WWF lost the plot on the lightweights. With WWF’s new
      direction of "attitude" and a wrestler needing to be over via the mic,
      in
      order to receive a push or get any respect, the lightweights were left
      languish. Taka did not defend the title for about 4 months in early
      1998.
      This caused interest in the division to become stagnate and almost die
      away. However, when Christian joined the federation my hope for the
      division was revitalised. These hopes seemed to come to fruition when
      Christian was given the title. Then WWF committed and atrocity.
      Something
      I will never forgive them for. They gave Duane Gill the Lightweight
      title.
      There goes all credibility and interest in the division. WWF killed it
      with one ridiculous booking move.

      Here I shall plead the case for a new lightweight division in the WWF.
      Firstly, the title should be held vacant and a tournament held to decide
      the champion. As far as characters having to be over via charisma and
      mic
      skills, I see the lightweights having a lot of potential here. Firstly,
      both members of Too Much are already over as heels and the crowd love to
      hate them. Christian has been over for a long time and the fans respond
      him. The key in revitalising this division is how the WWF would bring
      in
      Kaentai. If they could get that stable over the division could
      flourish.
      I suggest that they have a split within Kaentai. It could be two
      members
      of Kaentai against Too Much in a tag match, Taka misses a move and hits
      his partner, and Too Much get the pinfall. The partner of Taka would
      then
      snap and attack Taka blaming him for the loss. Kaentai would then split
      in
      half, with some members siding with Taka and the rest going the
      alternate
      path. This would have heat between two factions of Kanetai, as well as
      heat with Too Much and Christian in the fold only strengthens the
      division.

      Even though WWF missed the boat with this division, it is not too late
      save it. Although I am still of the opinion that the lightweights do
      not
      need angles in order to be utilised to their optimum and provide five
      star
      matches. Either way, regardless of how they do it, WWF needs to kick
      start
      the lightweight division.

      > RAW AND HEAT TAPING RESULTS
      - Not to ruin the surprises, we decided that it would be better to read
      the RAW and HEAT results at
      http://wrestling-online.com/newsstation/messages/680.html

      > EDGE COLLAPSES ON RAW
      - CJ sent in this: "While Christian was taking his turn in the ring,
      after Edge was eliminated, it was noticed that Edge was walking slowly,
      trying to get the cameraman to pay attention to his condition. Edge
      later fell down to the floor area under the Titan Tron. He was down for
      about 15 minutes. My guess is he had a delayed reaction to the DDT or
      some type of maneuver in the ring while making his way to the backstage
      area. Gangrel had to get Christian's attention as Christian walked up
      the rampway. Both were at Edge's side as medical officials and crew
      members tended on Edge. Edge was lifted on a stretcher by several people
      and it took them about five minutes to strap him on. It didn't look good
      at all. He was probably taken away in an ambulance."

      > AUSTIN "GOT MILK" AD
      - It reads "It better be ICE COLD for STONE COLD"...as Austin holds 2
      glasses full of milk, and of course, the famous moustache covered with
      milk. It is rumored also that Austin might get a billboard in Times
      Square with this ad. The ad will hit the newsstands next Friday, and
      will be in many publications. To see the picture of the ad go to:
      http://www.wwf.com/news/images/milkbig.jpg

      > MCMAHON ON LATE NIGHT WITH CONAN O' BRIEN
      - Owner of the World Wrestling Federation, Vince McMahon will make an
      appearance on 'Late Night with Conan O' Brien' on 06/24 on NBC. Also,
      McMahon is slated to be on Larry King Live tomorrow night on 9PM EST.
      His last week's scheduled appearance was cancelled.

      > WEEKEND RATINGS FOR WWF PROGRAMMING
      - WWF Livewire: 1.7, Superstars: 1.8, Sunday Night Heat: 4.0

      > QUARTER HOUR BREAKDOWN RATINGS FOR RAW
      - 5.0, 7.0, 6.8, 6.8, 6.8, 7.1, 6.8, 6.9, and 7.3 for the overrun.
      (MiCasa)

      > MR HENNIG, PLEASE MEET MR STEVEN SEGAL!
      - Last Monday at the Cleveland Ohio airport, WCW superstar Curt Hennig
      was introduced to Hollywood action movie star Steve Segal. Segal shook
      Hennig's hand, but applied a pressure move on the WCW wrestler's hand.
      Of course, Hennig reacted, slapping Segal's hand away and applied the
      same pressure move. Steven Segal is black belt in martial arts, and
      worked films "On Deadly Ground", "Under Siege 1 & 2", "The Patriot",
      among others.

      > WEEKEND RATINGS FOR WCW PROGRAMMING
      - Saturday Night; 1.3, WCW Thunder on 6/3: 3.1

      > QUARTER HOUR BREAKDOWN RATINGS FOR NITRO
      - 3.3, 3.7, 4.1, 4.5, 3.7, 2.5, 2.7, 2.8, 2.7, 2.5, 2.9, 2.5, and
      featured an overrun of 3.5. (MiCasa)

      > WCW LIVE GUEST
      - Tonight, Jeremy Borash and Bob Ryder will have Mikey Whipreck as a
      special guest for the live show. Yesterday's guest was former WCW
      champion "Nature Boy" Ric Flair. WCW Live will start 1 hour following
      Thunder tonight.

      > INSANE CLOWN POSSE TO JOIN WCW SOON
      - This comes straight from the ICP official website:
      "Another sound track that ICP is doing is WCW’s The Music. Yes, I know
      that ICP has had a long relationship with WWF and all that, but WCW is
      putting together a bomb-ass album and nobody knows about it yet. It’s
      top secret. ICP will also be joining WCW soon to do some shit just like
      they did in the WWF. Now, this may come as a surprise to everyone,
      because WCW seems to be a much more friendly, family-orientated
      wrestling promotion than
      WWF or ECW is; but believe me, wait until you see what they’ve got
      coming around the corner. So far Master P, Snoop Dogg, and ICP have been
      signed to make brand new songs for the upcoming WCW The Music. Plus ICP
      has already been to ECW and WWF, now it’s time to fully complete their
      dream of making it to all 3 of the big 3. Look for ICP to start
      slappin’ WCW wrestlers around and bangin’ the Nitro Girls this summer."

      > JERICHO'S LATEST COMMENTARY
      - Hello Jerichoholics!

      FOZZIE OZBOURNE LIVE IN CONCERT

      ... Don't miss your chance to check out the greatest band never, FOZZIE
      OZBOURNE!!!!!!! Comprised of the boys from Stuck Mojo and Moongoose
      Jericho on lead vocals, FOZZIE promises to play all of your favorite
      metal tracks, from all of your favorite metal bands of the early
      eighties!! Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Van Halen and so many other
      classic metal bands are signed, sealed and delivered to be butchered by
      America's premier rock band-FOZZIE OZBOURNE!!!!!!!

      Come check us out on: JUNE 18-Spartanburg, SC-Magnolia St Pub, JUNE
      19-Marietta, GA-The Hangar

      We are gonna have a great time...I guarantee it!!!!!!

      Well it's been one week since the funeral for a friend. I don't want to
      get into all of
      the details, but I will say that it was a tremendous tribute for Owen.
      As far as funerals go, it was a really beautiful and cleansing
      experience. There was a real display of love and support for the Hart
      family and I'm so glad I was able to pay my final respects. Owen Hart
      will live forever in our hearts and I know as long as I continue to step
      into the ring, I will never stop respecting and appreciating him as a
      professional and most importantly as a human being.

      Rest assured, those who are responsible will pay the price in this
      world...or the next.

      I made my triumphant return to the ring last weekend in Ohio and I'm
      proud to say that I felt %100!! I had some really good matches and I
      felt my performance picked up right where it left off two months
      ago.From watching a lot of tapes, I was als able to upgrade my workrate
      and really improve on my weak points. I can't wait to return to TV.
      Which brings me to the next point.

      I'm writing this on a Monday night, at home. That of course means that
      I'm not on Nitro again....or Thunder or Saturday Night. It seems that
      WCW has taken me off of their TV shows...as well as deleting me from
      their magazine....as well as confiscating Jericho signs in the
      crowd...among other crimes.

      While I still don't know what my future holds, it seems that WCW has
      made up their minds already. But I'm still holding out hope that I'll
      be able to return to your homes via the boob tube very soon. If not,
      I'll see you on the house shows, personal appearances
      and at the two Fozzie Ozbourne gigs later this month!!!!

      Don't worry, I'll be entertaining you guys really soon...I promise!!!

      The movie of the week is Slience Of The Lambs. What a great, creepy
      flick! I'm looking forward to the novel's sequel, Hannibal, which is
      due out tomorrow.

      Well God bless you and be good to each other!!!

      The editor can be reached at Editor@...

      Copyright 1996-1999 Wrestling-Online

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/wrestling-online