    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2009

      Monday June 8 2009 Issue #3034
      Using Twitter? http://twitter.com/wrestlingonline

      Colin Vassallo -[editor@...]-

      Our good friend and W-O Newsletter subscriber Mike Lano attended the funeral
      of John Tolos and wrote an article about his experience which you can read
      under the news.

      - All world heavyweight titles changed hands yesterday at Extreme Rules and
      one title in particular changed hands more than once in the same night as CM
      Punk cashed in his Money in the Bank to become the new World Heavyweight
      champion after Jeff Hardy defeated Edge in the Ladder Match to become a two
      time world champ. Hardy's celebrations didn't last very long and as Jim Ross
      was about to interview the new champ, Punk's music hit and the match was
      under way. Punk hit the GTS but Hardy kicked out and then Jeff locked Punk
      in a small package pin but Punk also kicked out in the last second. CM Punk
      hit his second GTS and this time scored the pinfall becoming the only person
      who won the MITB ladder match back-to-back and being successful in both his
      attempts when cashing in. You can see Punk winning the title at the end of
      the show at http://tinyurl.com/nabvuj

      Randy Orton also lost his WWE title inside a steel cage in his match against
      "The Animal" Batista while Tommy Dreamer finally won the ECW World title
      beating Christian and Jack Swagger in a triple threat hardcore rules match.
      In other matches, Chris Jericho defeated Rey Mysterio to win the
      Intercontinental title in a no holds barred match; John Cena defeated the
      Big Show in a submission match; CM Punk defeated Umaga in a Samoan strap
      match; Kofi Kingston retained his US title against MVP, William Regal and
      Matt Hardy; and Santina Marella defeated Vickie Guerrero in a hog pen match
      to regain the Miss WrestleMania crown.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7139]

      - PWInsider.com is reporting that the newly crowned WWE champion Batista is
      suffering from a torn tendon in his biceps and will be undergoing surgery
      tomorrow. He had the injury going into the match and the company knew
      beforehand about it which seems odd since he was given the WWE title. No
      word on how long he will be out of action although the injury is not as
      serious as a full tear. Batista just returned from a lengthy injury the day
      after WrestleMania 25. Meanwhile, recently released Mr Kennedy showed his
      support to "The Animal" saying on his Twitter account that Batista is "one
      of the best guys in the locker room. No ego, always trying to help."
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7140]

      - Ooooh yeah! The Macho Man DVD titled "Macho Madness: The Randy Savage
      Ultimate Collection" comes out tomorrow nationwide. This much anticipated
      triple disc DVD set features 540 minutes of Savage's best matches from his
      WWE debut all the way to his final days in WCW. A total of 23 full matches
      are included, sadly however there is no documentary-style sit down interview
      as previous WWE releases. The DVD is currently in the first place on
      Amazon's sports chart.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7]

      - The locations for the TNA tour in the United Kingdom for January 2010 have
      been announced today. TNA will travel to Glasgow at the Braehead Arena on
      01/23, Bournemouth at the Bournemouth International Centre on 01/26, Cardiff
      at the Cardiff International Arena on 01/27, Coventry at the Coventry Sky
      Dome on 01/28, Manchester at the MEN Arena on 01/29 and London at the
      Wembley Arena on 01/30. Tickets for all shows go on sale Friday June 12 at
      9AM GMT at gigsandtours.com and www.gigsinscotland.com
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7]

      - The TNA Victory Road 2009 pay-per-view poster has been released featuring
      The Beautiful People. The poster looks like one of those old Great American
      Bash posters that WWE did with Torrie Wilson years ago. Needless to say, you
      have three women in red, white and blue bikinis so you can't go wrong with
      that. You can check it out at
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7]

      By Mike Lano -[WReaLano@...]-

      John Tolos, taken at the far too young age of 78 was buried last Thursday
      after a moving Orthodox Greek service involving two Greek priests singing,
      chanting and recounting some of John's life.

      John's favorite Greek Orthodox Church was lovely; very ornate with colorful
      stained glass windows, artwork and extensive marble everywhere. It "wasn't
      very close to his longtime Woodland Hills locale, but obviously very
      special to him when he attended as he went out of his way to get here." The
      lead Priest said he'd gotten to know John in the last few years and said
      there was of course lots more to John as a human being, apart from his many
      accomplishments in wrestling, movies and sports.

      There was open-casket (believed to be governed by the Greek Church) at the
      viewing the night before with some fans recounting some of his best angles,
      and then at the service and burial Thursday.

      I was asked by John's extremely-devoted son Chris to be a pall-bearer which
      was an honor. Others there Thursday included John's longtime compadre at the
      Lebell promotion, publicist Jeff Walton and his son Scott; wrestler friends
      Mando Guerrero and Rock Riddle who were in awe of John as a wrestling legend
      back when they first met him in the mid-70's, area indie promoter and
      longtime Tolos fan Dan Ferrin, and many others. Our fan club vice-president,
      Mark Dawson was also there remembering his dad, actor/father Richard taking
      he and brother Gary to Hawaii when John worked there in '77 and '78 during
      the final days for Ed Francis. The Dawsons spent much of their time in
      Honolulu with John, Ingrid and young Chris. And lots of John's gentle ribs
      there, which John always called "my Vic Christy ribs...they never really
      hurt anyone." Richard, best known as the comedic actor for hosting Family
      Feud TV Game show on ABC network, had wanted John to be on his inaugural
      tapings of a revival of Groucho Marx's famous You Betch Your Life (which
      were taped but never aired, nor sadly picked up for syndication).

      Thursday's Church program and nature of it, didn't allow for anyone going up
      and remembering John at the podium, so some of us did that prior to the
      burial and after the specific service there, at the request of the family.

      John's ex-wife Ingrid was there of course, his daughter Tracy of Boston, and
      of course his son Chris and Chris' girlfriend who grieved. John and Chris
      were very close (as John was to his mom, brother and sister) and John always
      talked about how proud he was of his lone son that he named after his
      beloved brother Chris. "Family meant so much to John."

      Chris enjoyed hearing everyone talk about the incredible things his
      incredible father did, our various friendships with him, of course, some of
      the angles, ribs and road stories. I remember John moving wherever Chris
      needed to go to study to become the physical therapist/doctor that he is
      today (New England, Florida and back to Woodland Hills, CA). He always
      seemed like the most dedicated dad I'd ever seen before or since in the

      This will take a long time for Chris, who was hit very hard with losing his
      father at such a young age (only 78). John, who always treated his body like
      a temple; had in the last few months of his life suffered kidney/renal
      failure which was something Sheik (Ed Farhut) and Pepper Gomez had to deal
      with and took them too young as well.

      The loss of Chris and now his younger brother John is a tremendous loss for
      our community. John always refused to break kayfabe on my radio show, so we
      instead asked about road stories and ribs which he was fine with and enjoyed
      discussing-especially his decade-long friendships that he treasured (ranging
      from Stu Hart, Bruno Sammartino, Verne Gagne and Thesz, Baba and Inoki, of
      course Dutch Savage, Kiniski and Don Leo. Mascaras. Blassie. Monsoon. Gene
      Lebell and so many others). He was seemingly friends with and touched most
      everyone in some way or another.

      For anyone who'd watched The Golden Greek take such gentle, loving care on a
      daily basis of his longtime grappling pals like Vic Christy and Billy Varga,
      the weekly calls to Kowalski, Stu (Hart) and Lord Blears (still alive but
      ailing greatly) please say a prayer during the upcoming Greek Week around
      North America and keep him in your thoughts. Eees-Eff-Caristo John!