    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2007
      Advertise on Wrestling-Online.com for only $15 per month. E-mail Us!!

      Monday July 2nd 2007 Issue #2506

      There are some problems with the TXTAlert service again. I'm changing the
      method of how these are being sent so hopefully by tomorrow you will
      receive another SMS saying that you're subscribed.

      Let's hope this week starts better than it did last week! Back tomorrow.

      Now with a blog! http://www.wrestling-online.com/blog
      Play Donkey Kong, Tetris, Battle Ships,
      Dragonball Z, Batman and other classic games for free!
      http://www.playflashonline.com

      > BENOIT'S PHYSICIAN COULD FACE CHARGES FROM FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
      - Chris Benoit's personal physician Dr. Phil Astin could face charges from
      the federal government although the Georgia state prosecutor in charge of
      the Benoit investigation said that he has no plans to file criminal
      charges but he doesn't know what the federal government will do. "From our
      standpoint, I have no reason to believe there will be any criminal charges
      at the current time," Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard told
      The Associated Press. "What the federal government is going to do, it will
      be up to them." Dr. Astin's attorney said that it's possible that federal
      charges will be filed against his client in connection with the two raids
      carried out by the DEA last week. "I wouldn't be shocked if there's some
      charges that come out of this," he said to the AP. Astin went MIA, along
      with his mother, after the raids. Manny Arora, the attorney, said that
      Astin will turn himself in if he is asked to do so. A spokesman for the
      U.S. Attorney's office declined to say Monday if any charges were
      planned....
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4812]

      > DR. ASTIN BUSTED BY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
      - And this just in! The Associated Press is reporting that Dr. Phil Astin
      has been charged with seven counts of distributing painkillers and other
      drugs to other clients, a case brought forward by the federal government.
      Astin prescribed drugs such as Percocet, Xanax, Lorcet and Vicoprofen
      between April 2004 and September 2005. It is believed that he prescribed
      Xanax on Friday for Benoit as well. The recipients were identified in the
      indictment by the initials O.G. and M.J. A criminal complaint was also
      filed, but was under seal. Astin, who vanished after the first DEA raid
      last week, surrendered himself to local authorities and is expected to
      make an initial court appearance Monday afternoon. Federal prosecutors are
      seeking the forfeiture of all property and proceeds Astin obtained through
      the illegal conduct if he's convicted.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4812]

      > NANCY BENOIT'S EX-HUSBAND SPEAKS TO ESPN.COM
      - ESPN.COM is running a huge article which contains comments from Nancy
      Benoit's ex husband, Jim Daus. Interesting to note is that it was him who
      introduced her to wrestling the first time, getting front row seats to a
      show in Orlando when they were just kids. However after she was sucked
      into the business, all the tours ended up destroying their marriage and
      the two agreed that a divorce was the best way to go. Daus said he met
      Nancy face to face for the first time since they split nine years ago
      while in a plane heading out of Chicago. He said the two talked for around
      four hours and the last time they communicated by e-mail was seven years
      ago when Chris' and Nancy's son Daniel was born. Daus added that he
      couldn't sleep for the first three days after news came out that Nancy was
      murdered by her husband. "I pushed her into this whole thing," he said,
      reflecting on the time he took her to the first wrestling match in Orlando
      back when they were still kids.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4824]

      > RAW PREVIEW
      - After a horrible week dominated by the news of the Benoit family
      murder-suicide, WWE gets back to its regular programming tonight with a
      super show in Dallas, TX. Fans attending the event at the American
      Airlines Center will be watching a taping of Smackdown! and then a live
      two hour RAW immediately after. The only match announced so far for
      tonight is an Intercontinental title match between the current holder
      Santino Marella against Uuuuuuuuuuuuuumaga.

      > WRESTLEMANIA 24 TRAVEL PACKAGES ON SALE
      - WrestleMania 24 travel packages are now available for purchase to the
      general public. As always, three different packages are available:
      Platinum, Gold and Silver. All packages contain the same things except for
      seating locations. Packages this year include tickets to WrestleMania,
      tickets to the Hall of Fame ceremony, tickets for Midday Madness autograph
      session, WrestleMania 24 souvenirs, three nights accommodation in an
      Orlando hotel and a two-day pass to Universal Studios and Universal's
      Islands of Adventure theme parks. Platinum packages will also contain the
      WM 24 commemorative chair. Prices for a single occupancy are $1,778 for
      Platinum, $1,178 for Gold and $998 for Silver. For more information send a
      blank e-mail to wrestlemania.packages@....
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4825]

      > FLOOD FORCES WWE TO CANCEL LIVE EVENT IN TEXAS
      - The fans in Texas are on a string of bad luck right now when it comes to
      watching their wrestling live. First the fans in Corpus Christi had their
      three hour show canceled and yesterday floods in Wichita Falls forced the
      company to cancel their show as well. WWE will be rescheduling the show
      although no date has been announced yet.

      > WWE TAG TEAM TITLE HOLDER DOMINO INJURED
      - One half of the WWE tag team title holders, Domino, is suffering from a
      broken nose and could very well have a broken orbital socket as well.
      Domino, real name Clifford Compton, suffered the injury during their match
      against Cryme Tyme last week on Smackdown! It is still not known how long
      he will be out. While he could still probably wrestle with a mask to
      protect the broken nose, a broken eye socket will be more of a problem and
      that could have him sitting on the sidelines for a few weeks.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4826]

      > iMPACT! RATING
      - TNA iMPACT! did a 1.2 rating for last Thursday's show on Spike TV, the
      same number of last week. There was only one match during the program -
      Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle vs Christian Cage - which lasted the whole show.
      (Ratings compiled by Nielsen Media Research and put online by
      PWInsider.com)

      //->> AROUND THE RING
      By Erik Knudsen -[ericknudsen@...]-

      Well...it's been awhile since I have written anything. I wish my return
      was at a better time but unfortunately, it's not. I had planned a return
      and had updated my website and had an interview pretty much all ready to
      go. Then, unless you are living under a rock, you have heard the tragic
      news that happened earlier this week.

      WWE Superstar Chris Benoit and his wife and their 7 year old son were
      found dead. I knew nothing of this until about 8:15pm Monday night. I got
      home a little late for Raw and was hum drum about watching more of the
      crap angle with McMahon. I turned on the TV to see a Royal Rumble match. I
      said to myself...well...maybe they are running Vince's favorite matches or
      something.

      Then I they showed a picture of Chris Benoit in the corner of the TV
      screen that read "Remembering Chris Benoit". I just sat there for a minute
      saying...uh...what?!! So I jumped up from my recliner and logged onto one
      of the usual wrestling news sites I check out.

      To my horror and shock...there it was. Chris Benoit and family found dead
      earlier this afternoon in their home. The funny thing is, I didn't cry
      like I did when Eddie Guerrero passed away.

      As the evening went on, more and more details were being released. Slowly
      it went from feeling sorry to somewhat of being dumbfounded. The police
      were treating the situation as a double murder-suicide. At the time,
      details were very sketchy. So that left a lot of room for interpretation.

      Did Chris kill his wife and son? Did his wife kill Chris and their son?
      Who could really say?

      Slowly, over Monday Night into Tuesday, more and more details were
      released. Tuesday Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard and Lt.
      Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department held a press
      conference and gave the public more details of what they believed took
      place. Chris Benoit had strangled his wife with an electrical cord on
      Friday night, then suffocated his son Saturday. Then early Sunday morning,
      Chris text messaged a couple friends in WWE before he took his own life by
      hanging himself in the gym of the Benoit home.

      Even as I write this now, I am still in shock. I don't know if I can ever
      truly comprehend what has happened. Benoit was probably in the top 3 of my
      favorite wrestlers and I loved watching him perform in the ring. Benoit vs
      Angle were some of the best matches ever. I know I am reiterating what
      other columnists have already said. I was glad to see the match where
      Chris won the world title at WrestleMania 20. I remember seeing that match
      live and at the end I was screaming "Tap B****!! TAP!!!" To know me...I
      don't do that.

      But now...like some I am sure, I feel let down. I know I can't make any
      judgments until the final toxicology reports are released. The media is
      having a field day with this. It was said that medications were found in
      the home as well as anabolic steroids. The media picked up on the steroids
      and have run with it. The sad part is, what else could have made Benoit do
      what the police said he did? As reports have said steroids can make people
      paranoid, depressed and become easily enraged. What's worse is, WWE seems
      to be trying to distance themselves from this whole scenario. So what
      message does that send out, yet they are saying that steroid should not be
      immediately ruled as the cause of what happened.

      This is the first time something like this has happened in the wrestling
      world, as far as I know. Wrestlers have been murdered, such as Bruiser
      Brody and Dino Bravo and some have even taken their own lives, such as
      Mike Awesome, most recently. But to kill your own family and then
      yourself, it a totally heinous act. This act, no matter the results of the
      toxicology results, has left a definite black mark on the wrestling world.

      In closing, all I can say is I hate to see someone who was definitely
      headed to the Hall Of Fame one day, end his career the way it appears it
      has. I offer my condolences to the family and friends of the Benoit
      family. I am sure we haven't heard the whole story of this completely
      bizarre and insane scenario.

      Until next week, I am Eric, that's my opinion and I am standing by it!!