    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2007

      Wednesday January 31st 2007 Issue #2402

      Nothing to say today. Back later.

      The Special Report on the death of Owen Hart,
      Eddie Guerrero and the sale of WCW.

      - When the cat is gone, the mice come out to play. That's the game TNA will
      be playing come Monday February 12th with RAW pre-empted for the annual dog
      show on USA Network. Today, Spike and TNA announced a two hour wrestling
      show for that night titled 'This is TNA!' airing on Spike from 9PM to 11PM
      EST and will be replayed on Thursday from 7PM to 9PM EST followed by a new
      edition of iMPACT! "Spike's not going to stand by and let wrestling go to
      the dogs on Monday February 12th. Wrestling fans deserve better!" said Kevin
      Kay, EVP and General Manager of Spike TV. 'This is TNA!' will have five of
      the biggest matches in TNA history which only aired on PPV before featuring
      Kurt Angle, Sting, Christian Cage, Jeff Jarrett, Abyss, Team 3-D, AJ Styles,
      Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe and Chris Sabin. Throughout the show there
      will be a countdown of some of the monumental moments in TNA history. The
      press release issued today also says that as an added bonus for viewers, TNA
      will reveal its newest concept match which will debut at their March 11th
      'Destination X' PPV event.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4189]

      - W-O Newsletter reader Alex120 attended the WWE WrestleMania Fan Axxess
      tour in San Antonio, TX., and submitted a dozen of pictures from the event.
      Ashley Massaro, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Mickie James, Mr Kennedy, Matt
      Striker, Carlito and others were present for this stop. You can check the
      pictures that Alex took at
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/gallery/v/assorted2/ . Fans who attend live
      events or autograph signings can send in their respective pictures to be
      part of our ever growing Gallery.

      > RAW RATING
      - RAW did a 4.2 composite rating with a 6.2 share off hours 4.0 and 4.3.
      That is slightly up from last week's 4.1. Usually post PPV shows generate
      more interest than any other RAW but it's also thanks to no football on
      television, which is WWE's direct competition for Monday night. AM RAW did a
      0.7 with a 3.1 share. (Ratings compiled by Nielsen Media Research and put
      online by PWInsider.com)

      - Fans in Texas did not disappoint WWE this past weekend as sold out crowds
      attended the Royal Rumble in San Antonio, RAW in Dallas the next night and
      the Smackdown!/ECW tapings yesterday in Houston. WWE sent out a press
      release pimping the numbers stating that over 14,500 were in attendance live
      for the Rumble at the AT&T Center, over 14,000 at RAW at the American
      Airlines Arena and over 12,400 at the Toyota Center for Smackdown! and ECW.
      All three shows were sold out. That must be some good news for WWE as live
      event audience has been declining for years across the nation compared to
      overseas crowds.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4190]

      - Olympic gold medalist and former WWE champion Kurt Angle will be making
      his debut with New Japan Pro Wrestling next month on the 18th. The TNA star
      will be teaming up with local star Yuji Nagata - who had a brief stint in
      WCW between 1997 and 1998 - to go against Giant Bernar - known better to
      fans as Albert - and TNA star Tyson Tomko. Antonio Inoki, who founded New
      Japan Pro Wrestling in 1972, had meetings with WWE late last year for a
      possible working relationship between the two companies.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4191]

      By Oren Kurtz -[syxx_ok@...]-

      There's nothing I love more than the sun shining in the middle of the
      winter. And a good old fashioned Royal Rumble!
      Colin certainly gave me this deja-vous feeling when he talked about the
      Royal Rumbles of old. The first one I saw was the 91' Rumble and I can still
      remember Vince's voice, the old school music, and the super cool logo which
      really made me as a kid feel that I'm seeing something special.

      Onto the wrestling - I refuse to talk about things that suck on every
      possible level and therefore will not talk about the Lashley - Test MATCH.

      However, I will talk about the burial of ECW as a brand. Remember, this is
      EXTREME Championship wrestling, and their World Title MAIN EVENT at one of
      the biggest PPVs of the year ended in a count out. It'll be hard for Vince
      to find more innovative ways to piss on the ECW legacy, but hey, the next
      ECW PPV is still scheduled to take place in the Hammerstein Ballroom. If it
      will actually be held there I'm sure the ECW faithful fans will find new
      ways to get muted.

      But there were a lot of good things at the Rumble, in fact it was very
      enjoyable. The Batista VS Kennedy match was fun to watch because once again
      wrestling fans showed they had a back bone and cheered the more ENTERTAINING
      wrestler (if I'm still allowed to call WWE performers that way). But still
      Batista won and it also made sense story-wise.

      The Cena-Umaga match was amazing. It's not that I was surprised that the
      match was good, but I was surprised with HOW good it was. But then again,
      Cena knows how to take a bump and look like he was nearly killed, and Umaga
      played the monster role perfect, including a last monster wake-up that
      reminded me of horror movie villains waking up just to be killed once and
      for all.

      And the Rumble match itself? Well, since we're working with a really thin
      roster, most of the match lacked any real luster. But when we were left with
      HBK, Taker, and Rated RKO, we got 15 minutes of great action, filled with
      drama, and I can't complain about the result as Undertaker certainly
      deserves it.

      Now that I've covered the wrestling aspect, let's talk directions. TNA's
      direction with the Abyss storyline is getting ridiculous by the minute - no
      one will by him is a cuddly teddy bear, because Russo, this isn't 1997, and
      this ISN'T Mick Foley!

      As for the WWE, they're also going a bit retro on us, teaming up HBK and
      Cena to take the world tag team titles much like they did with Austin and
      Michaels in 97. So, this one is for the Raw main writer - this isn't 97, and
      Cena is CERTAINLY not Steve Austin.

      Now, I've read the column that followed The Rumble, and as always, I enjoyed
      reading it as this newsletter has a lot of quality writers, but I couldn't
      help but smile when the point of "complaining" rose. Thank goodness (and the
      people who made the law) we live in countries where we have freedom of
      speech. Like I wrote in my last column - I don't want anyone to stop
      watching wrestling. And I don't want anyone to not enjoy going to a
      wrestling show live. And booing the whole show because it sucks means not
      enjoying it (although it does mean you voice your opinion that you want a
      better product, it also means you're killing the product in front of you,
      and not the person who made this product).

      I'm glad I got so many supporting emails through the past week, and I think
      that as a wrestling fan it is my right. Or even my obligation to watch
      wrestling, to support it, to even interest other people in it (just like a
      beloved sports team), but I should also fight for my right to get a better

      And judging by Sunday's Royal Rumble, complaining just might get us a better
      product. I certainly didn't complain.
      One last thing, as I was asked about politics in wrestling a lot this week -
      The WWE is supposed to have "no politics" as it is basically owned and run
      by one person. But I want you, the readers, to write in and tell me if the
      holding back of Rob Van Dam is anything but political. I mean, does anyone
      REALLY think that Test VS Bobby Lashley was better in any way?

      Did it sell more tickets? Did more people buy the PPV because of that match?
      Was it better than the Lashley VS RVD matches?

      Write me at syxx_ok@..., as always - I'd love to get your feedback.