    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2006

      Tuesday December 19th 2006 Issue #2375

      If you're going to Smackdown!/ECW tapings tonight please drop us some notes
      from the show. Thanks.

      Access Wrestling-Online.com NEWS from your mobile/PDA
      http://mobile.wrestling-online.com

      > GERMAN COURT RULES OUT WWE GAME IN MURDER CASE
      - WWE.COM reported today that the District Court in Germany ruled that the
      video game 'Smackdown! vs RAW 2006' played no role in the homicide of a
      homeless man earlier this year. The defense team tried to get some reduction
      from the sentence after the accused said that he imitated moves from the WWE
      video game on the other man to see how "seriously he can hurt someone." The
      court ruled that the claim cannot be used to justify the crime. The 19 year
      old who committed the murder consumed a bottle of beer, two bottles of wine
      and a bottle of chocolate liqueur before he decided to end another man's
      life. You can read the original full story about this case at
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/news/News_9/Another_death_blamed_on_WWE.shtm
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4091]

      > WWE PLACES 7TH IN TICKETMASTER POPULARITY IN SPORTS
      - Ticketmaster.com has released the most requested events for 2006 and WWE
      had some pretty stiff competition in the sports department as they only
      managed to get in the seventh place for this year. The New England Patriots
      tickets were the most requested in that category, followed by the Bears,
      Yankees, Detroit Tigers, the Mavericks, Philadelphia Eagles, World Wrestling
      Entertainment, the Broncos, Seahawks and Miami Heat. In the overall
      rankings, WWE didn't place in the top 10 and the Broadway musical 'Wicked'
      got the top spot in overall events. A few weeks ago, another tickets website
      TicketsNow.com placed WWE as their most requested.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4089]

      > CANADIAN PRESS WRITES ARTICLE ABOUT PIPER'S BATTLE WITH CANCER
      - The Canadian Press is running a story regarding Rowdy Roddy Piper's battle
      with cancer. Piper - who was sent home from the European tour last month -
      was told of the cancer after doctors performed back surgery to repair a
      problem which caused him to quit the Euro tour. The Hall Of Famer was
      supposed to be touring selected Ontario cities by train to promote
      WrestleMania 23 with WWE and VIA Rail, who entered in a partnership to bring
      Canadian fans across the border for the show. Doctors said that since he
      caught it in the early stages there's a 70% chance that he will make it.
      "Well shoot, those are good odds to me," Piper exclaimed. "This radiation
      treatment, it kicks the stuffings out of you a little bit," said Piper. "But
      I'm a fighter. It's picked on the wrong guy this time," he added. You can
      read the full story which also includes comments from WWE Canada President
      Carl DeMarco at
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20061219/ca_pr_on_en/wwe_roddyis_recovery_1
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4029]

      > FANS TO DECIDE NEXT #1 CONTENDER FOR ECW TITLE
      - A poll is being held on ECW.COM to determine Bobby Lashley's opponent on
      the January 2nd edition of ECW on Sci Fi. The choices are either Rob Van
      Dam, Sabu or Test and the winner of the poll will be announced tonight
      during the show. The three Extremists will also have a triple threat match
      on tonight's show as the main event. ECW on Sci Fi returns to its normal
      timeslot tonight at 10PM EST.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=10]

      > HOGAN CHALLENGES LAWLER IN MEMPHIS!
      - W-O Newsletter reader Gregory White sent in a link to a story which is
      currently on the Eyewitness News Everywhere website regarding Hulk Hogan
      challenging Jerry 'The King' Lawler while he was in town with his daughter
      Brooke in Memphis. "Jerry Lawler get ready," the Hulkster shouted. "I'm
      taking over and you're the first one who's going down," he said. Lawler was
      out of town when Hogan was there however Lawler said that he heard it all
      before from Hogan and if he's really serious, he knows where to find him.
      You can watch the video that appeared on the news at
      http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoID=248470
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4103]

      //->> THE SLAM FEST!
      By Graham A. Harper -[kingalex_2010@...]-

      Tis' the season to be jolly - hello once again and welcome to my wrestling
      grotto!

      So sorry that I've done the vanishing act once again but naturally with this
      time of year I've had a multitude of things to do, such as putting up
      decorations, shopping, been helpful to the needy and getting over a rather
      festive cold that managed to morph into a chest infection. just thought
      you'd like to know.

      Well then, 4 pay per views in the last 2 months, old Scrooge McMahon surely
      knows how to dig into our wallets. These days there are way too many PPVS,
      years ago it was one-PPV--per-month and only on very rare occasions did a
      month get 2 PPVS (such as March 2001's X-Seven and Backlash). Having too
      many shows upsets the balance, wrestlers, angles, matches and feuds don't
      get enough time to mature, they lack a solid build-up, hence why most of us
      groan at the brand-only shows (with rare exceptions of course). But
      seriously, WWE needs to have a good clear-out of shows which may only happen
      with the end of this Brand Extension.

      To be honest, things have improved in WWE lately, the Tag Team division is
      once again alive with competition, but not only that, teams are jumping from
      show-to-show. On the one hand I find this irritating as it goes against the
      whole point of the Brand Extension, but on the other hand not only does this
      seem to herald the end of the Extension but it has also allowed this long
      ignored division to re-emerge as a solid base for wrestlers to apply their
      trade. I say re-unite the Tag Team belts and let these teams showcase their
      talents on all 3 shows.

      Speaking of shows, I think it's time to admit that the ECW experiment has
      failed. Since its return earlier this year the brand has sunk further and
      further into stall. Wrestlers who were part of the original ECW crew have
      been let go, or sat and done nothing or jobbed to ex-WWE stars. This really
      is sad as ECW had the potential to succeed, but the truth is that when you
      have the McMahon's steering the ship it's likely it'll run aground.

      I just don't understand this family, you'd think they'd do everything in
      their power to make something work, you'd have thought that they'd give us
      golden memories of a WWF/WCW/ECW feud, a sweet nWo angle, a superb ECW
      revival but they haven't. They sunk the InVasion, almost killed the nWo's
      image and have in less than a year managed to ruin ECW. Come to think of it
      they seem to always spoil things in under a year.

      But joking aside I'd really like to know what causes this family to make
      such disastrous and bottom line stupid mistakes. I would have thought that
      anyone be them say a sovereign or taxicab driver would want to do their
      absolute best in their job, but the McMahon's seem happy with half-hearted
      attempts. I just can't understand it.

      Poor Paul E has once again found himself in Stephanie's bad books. Perhaps
      it's because he has the guts to let everyone know when the ship's in danger
      of hitting the rocks, whatever your view I think it's time WWE - or rather
      Vince - made their mind(s) up on what to do with Paul. I say let him go if
      you're just going to keep him hanging around in the air. If not then bring
      him back and let him do his job. We all know the story, Paul Heyman has one
      of the most gifted minds in this business and WWE are missing their chance
      to do something spectacular with him. I'd like to see Paul go just so he
      could sign with TNA and straighten-out their otherwise solid angles.

      Briefly onto TNA and I'm not so sure that turning Joe heel is the smartest
      idea, Angle's always been better as a heel and I just don't think fans will
      buy a heel Joe. As for a third match between the 2, well it's only fair so
      long as TNA don't do to this feud what WWE did to Triple H/Shawn Michaels.

      Many of you can't stand Kevin Nash, and I understand why. I know his
      reputation, his history but I don't take a disliking to him. Nash is one of
      those guys you either love or hate and I'm with the former. I love his
      commentary and I love the way he can tell a story in the ring. No, he's not
      the greatest wrester and at times he's borderline lazy but Nash has always
      entertained me and I think he's better than a lot of people make him out to
      be.

      I would like to finish with a quick thought on Big Show's retirement. I
      first saw Show when he was known as The Giant with WCW, my first memory of
      him was when he got beaten up by Raven's Flock and then his jump to nWo
      Hollywood. Even though he was never one of my favourite wrestlers (well
      except say around 1997) I've always liked Big Show. I don't think he's ever
      truly profited from his jump to the WWF/WWE in 1999. He came in with a ton
      of momentum but soon got lost. For me his only memorable match would have to
      be the Boiler Room Brawl he had with Mankind at Backlash 1999. The WWF tried
      to make him a top face later that year but fans didn't buy it. His fun feud
      with The Rock in early 2000 also sticks in my mind but after that there was
      little else for him to shout about. Big Show came closest to regaining his
      lost position as a major force when he stripped Brock Lesnar of the WWE
      Championship at the 2002 Survivor Series. In many ways I'm kind of glad
      Show's decided to step aside, for me he became one of those guys who just
      seemed to repeat himself, I'm not trying to say he was a bad wrestler, he
      had great charisma and a good reputation but in the ring his mind seemed to
      be elsewhere. Still though good luck Show.

      Well that's it for another edition of the Slam Fest! I hope you're all
      enjoying the festive season and I'd like to wish you all a very Merry
      Christmas.