    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2006

      Thursday September 28th 2006 Issue #2326

      Not much going on today. Back laters.

      Buy the Vince McMahon 'McMahon' DVD now!
      http://www.wrestlingmegastore.com

      > 'THE MARINE' PREMIERE AT USMC BASE CAMP PENDLETON
      - The premiere of the WWE Films movie 'The Marine' featuring John Cena will
      be held at the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, home of more than 20,000 US
      Marines and the busiest Marine base in the United States. The event, held on
      October 3rd, is expected to have around 1,300 members of the Marine Corp and
      their families. Everyone attending will be seeing the red carpet event,
      receive t-shirts, commemorative wrist bands and free popcorn and soda, and
      have a chance to greet the movie's stars John Cena and Kelly Carlson, best
      known for her role as Kimber in the FX show 'Nip/Tuck'. WWE Superstars
      Triple H, Ric Flair, Carlito, Maria, Candice Michelle and Jonathan Coachman
      will also be in attendance. The movie, distributed by Twentieth Century Fox,
      will be released nationwide on October 13th.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3625]

      > RAW AND ECW RATINGS
      - RAW this week received yet another well below average number getting only
      a 3.4 rating off hours 3.4 and 3.5. That is down from last week's already
      low 3.7. ESPN's Monday Night Football is truly laying the smackdown - pun
      intended - on WWE. ECW did a 1.9, up from last week's 1.6. (Ratings compiled
      by Nielsen Media Research and put online by PWInsider.com)

      > JBL INTERVIEWS BISCHOFF FOR WWE.COM
      - Former WWE champion John 'Bradshaw' Layfield has conducted an in-depth
      interview with ex WCW President Eric Bischoff taped exclusively for WWE.COM.
      This interview is currently available on the website and topics discussed
      are Bischoff's new book titled 'Controversy Creates Cash', his time as RAW
      General Manager and obviously his powerful roles inside World Championship
      Wrestling. It's a four part interview in which both JBL and Bischoff are out
      of character and in a serious discussion about what went wrong in WCW.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3626]

      > STOCKS
      - Stocks closed the day at 16.69, a 0.48% increase over yesterday's closing.
      The day's range was 16.44 - 16.82.

      //->> THE SLAM FEST!
      By Graham A. Harper -[kingalex_2010@...]-

      First-off, I can't believe that Kurt Angle is headed to TNA! I honestly
      didn't see that coming, I'd figured that Angle would want to take a good
      year away from wrestling before considering a comeback. I just hope that
      Angle isn't wasted in overly-long storylines or placed in some sort of
      secondary role to the likes of a certain wrestler who shall remain nameless
      for now.

      Angle's last year in WWE hasn't been his best though he still managed to
      work an excellent match against the Undertaker at Now Way Out. I just hope
      TNA doesn't let him go to waste.

      Now that I've finished marking-out, let's look at this seriously. Ian
      Hamilton wrote a very honest column in which he made it clear not only what
      he felt but what the future could very likely have in store for Angle.

      Whilst I have to be honest and say I found Ian's column a little on the
      harsh side, I can't say I don't agree with him. Kurt himself admitted that
      he isn't 100 percent; and he admitted that he's forced to take strong
      medication to overcome pain. As always, I'm trying to look at this from as
      many angles as I can.

      Kurt said that he was being held back in WWE, now I can see a split in fans
      over this issue. You see I agree for the most part with Kurt on this, he
      hasn't fared well under the Brand Extension save for his excellent feud with
      Brock Lesnar at the start of the Extension. Prior to the roster split things
      were different for him, he wasn't held back, if anything he was pushed none
      stop so I feel that when Kurt says he's been held back for 6 years, he's
      forgetting just what his early WWF career did for him. Since the Brand
      Extension I don't feel he's had much to do really, yeah he's had some great
      matches and good feuds but for the most part he's sat in limbo and while his
      ECW run could've freshened things up for him, I doubt it would've lasted.

      We also have to remember that overcoming that itch to return to the squared
      circle is at times unbeatable.

      Now I know that's no excuse, but perhaps what Kurt's needed all these years
      was a change of scenery. But that still doesn't change the fact that at the
      end of the day, the guy's not well. Not only is his health an issue but he's
      also gone through some pretty rough patches in his personal life which
      likely have had a knock on effect. The bottom line is that Kurt shouldn't be
      wrestling and I know that makes the opening lines of this column look
      ridiculous. You see as a fan, I'm genuinely excited about Kurt's move to
      TNA. I'd love to see TNA really challenge WWE's dominance because let's face
      it without any competition; WWE has took a deep nose dive for the most part.
      But I'm also concerned about Kurt's decision, and whilst I can sit here and
      go on about it been a bad move I have to remember that I'm not Kurt Angle so
      I don't know what's going on through his head. I think we have to put this
      down as a wrestler who just doesn't want to stop wrestling. I'd love to sit
      here and say I don't agree with Ian when he says Kurt will meet his end
      sooner than he thinks, but the truth is he may be right. WWE released Kurt
      as a form of kindness, you can be harsh and say that WWE wanted nothing to
      do with Kurt's death should it happen, but what they were trying to do was
      encourage him to make some good decisions. Again we have to sit back and say
      that at the end of the day, none of us really know what's going in Kurt's
      head. Perhaps his move to TNA will revive him and we'll see better quality
      matches from a wrestler who genuinely feels better. On the other hand we may
      be seeing the beginning of the end of Kurt Angle and I don't care how much
      you criticise the guy, he doesn't deserve an early grave.

      On to other things briefly, Eric Bischoff has written a book. I'll more than
      likely end up buying it though I'm not expecting anything spectacular. The
      reason for this is because I'm wondering just how much freedom Eric Bischoff
      has been given on this project. When he came out on RAW and talked about his
      glory days, I sat there and became sceptical.

      Naturally I wouldn't be feeling this way had Eric wrote his book
      independently of WWE but since he's still contracted to WWE I can't say I'll
      be convinced of every word he writes. I may be wrong of course and I hope I
      am. You see this should be a major publication for WWE, yes it shouldn't
      just be about WCW beating the WWF from 96 to 98, the nWo, Nitro and
      Bischoff's failure to purchase the company in 2001, but that's what most of
      us will be buying it for. I'm hoping for truthful honesty in this book, why
      Bischoff did things like fire Steve Austin, give power to wrestlers, keep
      the nWo going for longer than it should, hold back younger talent and
      seemingly allow the WWF to beat Nitro and Thunder week after week. What were
      his true thoughts about the finish to Starrcade 1997? Bret Hart's WCW
      career? The mass exodus of talent starting with Chris Jericho? The hiring
      and then firing of Vince Russo? And how did he feel about the InVasion
      angle?

      These are the kind of questions I'd like to see answered. I hope that this
      book hasn't been glazed over for the sake of soothing certain egos, but
      ultimately none of us will know until we've read it.

      Anyway, that's another edition of the Slam Fest! done and dusted, so I'll
      see you all again soon.