    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006

      Thursday August 31st 2006 Issue #2308

      Alrighty. Thanks for all the suggestions for the 10th year anniversary
      issue. The first suggestion that I am taking is a voting, where you the fans
      will decide which was the most memorable wrestling happening in the past
      decade. I compiled the list so you guys can vote at
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/cgi-bin/vote/ . Results and a write up will
      be in the anniversary issue.

      Also, we did this for the 1000th issue and it was pretty popular; hopefully
      it will be the same for the 10th anniversary issue. We would like to hear
      your comments about the newsletter. How long have you been subscribed? What
      do you like? What don't you like about us? Anything that comes to your mind
      regarding this newsletter, just fire them in an e-mail to
      feedback@... complete with your full name, location and if
      you want occupation. We know this newsletter reaches thousands of people
      across the world from the US to Europe to Asia and to the war zones in Iraq
      and Afghanistan! We'd love to hear from you so we can put it in the issue.

      Another new columnist debuts today, check his column out below the news.

      Thanks.

      Order now the Vince McMahon DVD titled 'McMahon'
      A 2 disc special edition which features a tell-all
      interview by the Chairman of WWE!
      - http://www.wrestlingmegastore.com -

      > WWE ANNOUNCES FINANCIAL RESULTS FOR 1ST FISCAL QUARTER
      - WWE today announced financial results for its first fiscal quarter ended
      July 28, 2006. Revenues totaled $93.3 million as compared to $93.8 million
      in the prior year quarter and operating income was $15.6 million as compared
      to $15.8 million in the prior year quarter. The Company reported net income
      of $11.3 million, as compared to $11.2 million. WWE reported profits in
      almost all the departments which shot the stock way up from yesterday. To
      read the full report go to
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/news/article_5568.shtml
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3452]

      > ECW RATINGS
      - ECW slipped in the ratings, getting only a 1.9 for Tuesday's showing.
      (Ratings compiled by Nielsen Media Research and put online by PWInsider.com)

      > ECW ON SCI FI RENEWED UNTIL END OF 2007
      - The Sci Fi Channel issued a press release today announcing that they will
      keep airing ECW on television until December of 2007. Originally, ECW was
      scheduled to run for twelve weeks during the Summer as a test but since
      ratings have been a great boost for Sci Fi, it was pretty much clear that
      the deal would be renewed. The show has averaged 2.7 million viewers every
      week and has consistently been one of the top-rated programs in primetime on
      Tuesday among male teens and one of the top-rated cable programs in
      households. ECW will remain in its usual time slot of 10PM EST with a replay
      showing some time during the week.
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3451]

      > EDGE, HOGAN AT MTV VMA'S
      - WWE Heavyweight champion Edge was at the MTV Video Music Awards yesterday
      at New York City's Radio City Music Hall. Complete with his recently changed
      WWE title, Edge managed to pose for a couple of pictures as well which you
      can see at WireImage's website at
      http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=CLB&str=44345&styp=clbi&n
      m=Edge&nbc1=1 . Hulk Hogan along with his family was also at the show and
      pictures can be seen at
      http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=CLB&str=1663&styp=clbi&nm
      =Hulk%20Hogan&nbc1=1
      - [Discuss: http://www.wrestling-online.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3453]

      > STOCKS
      - Stocks are currently trading at 17.34 at time of this writing, an 11.65%
      increase over yesterday's closing. The day's range so far has been 16.00 -
      17.50.

      //->> THE SLAM FEST
      By Graham A. Harper -[kingalex_2010@...]-

      Hello and welcome to the very first edition of The Slam Fest! My name is
      Graham A. Harper a British wrestling fan who's been watching the sport since
      the Turtles became mutant ninjas. Before I start I feel I should give thanks
      to fellow writer Oren Kurtz who has for months been yelling at me to write a
      column for the Newsletter. So thanks Oren.

      Well then, seen as how I'm the newbie round here I think that I should let
      you know a little about myself and what my aim is with this column.

      Now you know how I said I'd been watching wrestling since the Turtles became
      ninjas? Well that was kinda bending the truth. While my first exposure to
      wrestling came during the glory days of Hulkamania it wasn't until Hulk
      Hogan's jump to WCW that I really became interested. Before that I like any
      other self-respecting kid who wanted to be with the "cool" crowd
      automatically jumped onto the WWF bandwagon and when the wheels of that
      wagon began to give-way I jumped straight off and onto the "Wrestling isn't
      Cool Anymore" bandwagon. Well I was a kid and had yet to develop the ability
      to choose for myself. Anyway, 1994 and Hogan appears in WCW and slowly but
      surely my interest in wrestling grew. Then of course came the nWo and by
      1997 I was watching Monday Nitro on (almost) a weekly basis. By the way here
      in the UK at the time Nitro was broadcast on Friday nights so I was always a
      week-behind on the happenings.

      Anyway, I was hooked on WCW, discovered Sting who became my all-time
      favorite wrestler after seeing him do just 1 appearance on Nitro at the
      height of the nWo angle, and I was of course buying or borrowing what were
      at the time the apex of wrestling video games. WCW VS. nWo World Tour and
      WCW/nWo Revenge.

      Then the WWF came along. A friend of mine though a keen viewer of WCW was a
      WWF patriot and would regularly bring the latest RAW IS WAR or WWF PPV into
      school with him. By 1999, while still been a WCW fan, I was watching the WWF
      more and more. Around this time I discovered the internet and became
      enthralled in all the news and rumors that I believe helped keep the
      industry more exciting. By the time WCW closed down I'd become much more
      aware of what the goings on were in the sport and much more critical of what
      I felt was good TV.

      Which brings me on to my aims for The Slam Fest! You see currently we're in
      a difficult phase where I believe wrestling is trying to turn a corner but
      is struggling to do so. With all the ongoing criticisms thrown at WWE and
      TNA (which most of the time are fully deserved), I felt that we should try
      to look at things a little more positively. What's good about an angle, how
      good a certain match was, good booking and the like. Okay, I realize I'm
      setting myself a pretty monumental task given the recent history of
      wrestling or rather WWE's disgraceful creative ideas (Katie Vick been the
      worst of them and that's going up against some pretty stiff competition),
      but I feel that we could do with been a little more optimistic and try not
      to focus too much on the negatives. That's aid, I fully expect to find
      myself writing columns with nothing but criticism but there you go.

      So, there you go, at little about me and what I'm aiming to do. And where to
      start? How about, SummerSlam? Yeah I know you've watched the show, read the
      reviews, voiced your opinion. So I won't be doing a match-by-match review
      just a general one.

      I myself thought that this year's SummerSlam was okay-ish. It wasn't bad but
      could've been so much better. For me it was filled with too many BIG
      matches. We got to see no mid card talent, and no belts other than the
      Heavyweight titles. Overall I feel that most of the matches were good with
      others been as good as they possibly could have been. Obviously I want the
      Eddie Guererro angle to end. It's distasteful and if I look at it just as an
      angle then it's worn itself out. They DX/McMahon match was for me one of
      the highlights of show. Many of you are pressing for DX to end and some for
      a Triple H/Shawn Michaels feud. I say no. Why? Well first of all DX has the
      potential to move far beyond the McMahon's, there are other wrestlers and
      potential new factions out there that would benefit from feuding with DX. As
      for a second Triple H/Shawn Michaels feud, the reason I'm against this it
      because it was done to death the first time round. When it started, the
      Triple H/Shawn Michaels feud was one of the highlights of what I call the
      Post-Attitude Era. But it went on, and on, and on to point where no one
      cared and we only wanted it to end. Triple H and Michaels should stick
      together. These days Michaels is better as a face and Triple H's heel
      character has worn itself out. The only thing that's holding DX back is the
      McMahon feud, that's all.

      Anyway, that's all for now. I hope you enjoyed my first column and with any
      luck they'll be more to come. Next time I'm gonna talk about the departure
      of Kurt Angle, the pending departure of Trish Stratus and the possible
      departure of Lita. Until next time, thanks for reading.