    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 1999

      W R E S T L I N G - O N L I N E
      N E W S L E T T E R

      Wednesday, January 20th, 1999

      I S S U E # 2 6 4

      The Official daily newsletter of Wrestling-Online.com

      ----------------------------------
      | Editor: |
      | Colin Vassallo |
      | Editor@... |
      ----------------------------------

      ****** GET YOUR OWN "YOURNAME 3:16" T-SHIRTS FROM
      http://www.spcltees.com/316.html FOR JUST $10!!! DURABLE IMPRINT ON
      GREAT QUALITY HANES 50/50 HEAVYWEIGHT T-SHIRTS! SPCLTEES.COM - OFFICIAL
      MERCHANDISE MAKERS FOR WRESTLING-ONLINE.COM ******

      IN THE HEADLINES TODAY....

      >> WWF lawyers force us to close "WWF Online" ...
      >> RAW wins the ratings ...
      >> Terry Taylor joins the WWF ...
      >> WWF News ...
      >> WCW News ...

      By: Colin Vassallo, [Editor@...]

      Read the first headline good, that's all I got to say for today.

      >> WWF LAWYERS FORCE US TO CLOSE "WWF ONLINE"
      By: Colin Vassallo, [Editor@...]

      The most popular section on Wrestling-Online.com, "WWF Online", is now
      history. Just a few minutes before this issue 'went to press', we
      received the following letter from the WWF lawyers, in Pittsburgh, PA:

      -

      January 20, 1999

      VIA E-MAIL
      Confirmation by Registered Mail

      Re: Titan Sports, Inc. - Infringement of Copyrights and Trademarks
      Internet Web Site: WRESTLING-ONLINE.COM

      Dear Mr. Vassallo:

      We represent Titan Sports, Inc. ("Titan"), which does business as the
      World Wrestling Federation. Titan is the owner of numerous copyrighted
      works and trademarks, including WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION, WWF, and the
      WWF logo. Titan has the exclusive right to exploit its copyrighted
      works and trademarks, and, as the premiere provider of wrestling
      entertainment services, Titan has established substantial and valuable
      good will in its trademarks.

      Titan has informed us that you maintain an Internet web site at
      WRESTLING-ONLINE.COM. Your site contains numerous copyrighted images,
      in addition to audio and video, owned by Titan. Additionally, you offer
      live images from Titan's pay-per-view events, as well as download of WWF
      software. All of these actions violate the United States Copyright Act.
      Your site also contains marks such as WWF ONLINE that are likely to
      cause confusion, mistake, or deception as to the source or sponsorship
      of your web site, thereby violating the trademark laws of the United
      States. Your use of these marks may also dilute the distinctive quality
      of Titan's trademarks, in violation of trademark law. In short, your
      web site infringes Titan's intellectual property.

      While Titan appreciates the dedication of its fans, to whom you may be
      directing your site, Titan must protect its intellectual property rights
      or risk losing them. It is a difficult position to be in, but Titan's
      fans must understand that such infringement makes it more difficult for
      Titan to continue producing quality wrestling entertainment. Therefore,
      on behalf of Titan, we must demand that you immediately cease and desist
      all infringing use of Titan's intellectual property.

      Infringement of the intellectual property rights of others is a risky
      business. Under U.S. trademark and copyright law, an intellectual
      property owner may be able to obtain an injunction against an infringer
      as well as the infringer's profits, the owner's actual damages, and the
      costs of enforcing the owner's rights. Moreover, under U.S. copyright
      law, an intellectual property owner may be able to obtain statutory
      damages of up to $100,000 per work infringed. An infringer may also
      face criminal sanctions, including imprisonment and fines, under U.S.
      federal criminal law.

      To avoid exposure to such penalties, you must immediately do each of the
      following:

      1. Remove all of Titan's copyrighted works (including images,
      audio, video, software, etc.) from your web site.

      2. Stop posting images, whether live or otherwise, from Titan's
      pay-per-view events.

      3. Stop using the mark WWF ONLINE, in addition to any other marks
      that may be confusingly similar to Titan's trademarks.

      4. Respond in writing that you have fully complied with these
      requirements. To that end, we urge you to complete and sign the
      acknowledgment that will accompany the confirmation copy of this letter
      sent by regular mail.

      If you do not do each of these things now, Titan may be forced to seek
      all remedies available to it under U.S. law and may take whatever
      appropriate legal action may be necessary to assure that your
      infringements cease.

      Compliance with our demands, as set forth in this letter, will not
      prevent you from offering information about and discussing the WWF on
      your web site. Compliance merely requires that you do so in a way that
      does not infringe Titan's intellectual property. You may refer to the
      WWF, its wrestlers, and its programs in a descriptive way (such as in
      commentary, reports, etc.), but you may not include Titan's trademarks
      or marks confusingly similar to Titan's trademarks in your page titles.
      Moreover, you may not use Titan's logos or copyrighted works without
      express authorization from Titan.

      We cannot stress enough how important Titan's fans are to it, but Titan
      cannot continue to serve its fans if they do not respect its
      intellectual property. Titan wants to resolve this matter in a friendly
      manner. With your cooperation in respecting Titan's intellectual
      property, Titan feels that it can do so.

      Sincerely,

      Wade J. Savoy,
      Kirkpatrick & Lockhart, LLP
      1500 Oliver Building
      Pittsburgh, PA 15222

      WJS/jz

      Acknowledgment of Titan Sports' Rights and Agreement to Cease
      Infringement:

      I, ________________________, have fully discontinued infringing use of
      Titan's copyrighted works and trademarks, including such use on an
      Internet web site, as of January ___, 1999, and hereby agree to not use,
      infringe, copy, or distribute any of Titan's copyrighted works or its
      trademarks in the future. I have fully complied with the demands
      outlined in Titan's letter and e-mail dated January 20, 1999.

      __________________________
      (signature)

      --

      Now, being known mostly of my famous letter replies to people like this
      guy, I didn't hesitate to use my 'talent', and beat the living crap

      "Dear Sir,

      In paragraph two of your letter, you wrote the following.

      "Your site also contains marks such as WWF ONLINE that are likely to
      cause confusion, mistake, or deception as to the source or sponsorship
      of your web site, thereby violating the trademark laws of the United
      States."

      I *clearly* state on my website that the page is in no way affiliated
      with the World Wrestling Federation, and all logos etc are trademark of
      Titan Sports. So the line "to cause confusion, mistake or deception as
      to the source of sponsorship", is to say the least 'stupid'.

      My site has been online since July of 1996. This is the only time I had
      trouble with the World Wrestling Federation. I had a WCW section once,
      but WCW sent me a letter via FEDEX basically saying the same stuff you
      said, but in a more rude, and arrogant way. Besides that, they
      completely sent the letter over something that I never did, and someone
      sent them a letter saying that I did this and that, and they compeletely
      canned me without first searching for the FACTS.

      You talk about me having copyright material on the website. Yes, it's
      true. I have video clips that I made by spending hours capturing from
      videos, tons of sound clips captured from videos too etc. As a GREAT WWF
      fan, this was all done to my enjoyement, free of charge for people to
      see, and to enjoy the product of the World Wrestling Federation. Now, I
      realize it was all a waste of my time, because no one cares what the
      FANS do.

      Like you said, I have to agree to the terms, removing videos, audio and
      pictures. Basically shutting the whole WWF section. If you got me, you
      have to get each and every one of the people out there that's doing the
      same thing I did. And sorry to say this, but, I think that's an
      impossible task to finish. There are thousands of WWF sites out there,
      I'm not the only one with the copyright material on. It's unfair to
      target one
      person, and leave the others running around, don't you think?

      The 7th paragraph of your letter...sorry, but those lines are completely
      pathetic. You cannot place a picture, you cannot place a logo, you can't
      do jack. Sure, I can still 'discuss' about the World Wrestling
      Federation on my newsletter, because it's text only, and won't use any
      of your copyright stuff, but on a site? What the hell is this. Tell me a
      site which doesn't have one graphic to at least make it more creative.
      You just can't, cause there aren't any.

      Last line of your 7th paragraph:

      "Moreover, you may not use Titan's logos or copyrighted works without
      express authorization from Titan."

      Give me a break. Are you kidding me? How many letters do you receive for
      this? Probably more then I can think of. So with that line you just
      wrote, I, right now, am applying for authorization to use what I have on
      the website. If you're not the man whom I have to talk to, then please,
      give me the name of the person and proper address for me to contact.

      And finally, your last paragraph:

      "We cannot stress enough how important Titan's fans are to it, but Titan
      cannot continue to serve its fans if they do not respect its
      intellectual property."

      How IMPORTANT Titan's fans are to it? I can see, IF the fans were
      important, you guys wouldn't do this. You would HELP the fans in
      creating fan sites, not telling them not to use images etc. IF it wasn't
      for the fans, the World Wrestling Federation, or ANY other damn
      wrestling organization wouldn't be what it is today. And this is the
      "Thank you" you give to the fans. Well, congratulations, nice theory.

      In closing, I would like to say that I know you probably won't even
      sorry if I sounded harsh, but you have to put yourself into my position
      to understand. I will send you the letter signed by me tomorrow.

      Regards,

      Colin Vassallo, Wrestling-Online.com"

      --

      So from tomorrow, WWF Online will be off the net. If you want to
      download something, hurry up, cause the section will vanish tomorrow.

      The Kirkpatrick & Lockhart, LLP website can be found at
      http://www.kl.com

      >> RAW WINS THE RATINGS
      By: Colin Vassallo, [Editor@...]

      First hour of RAW Is WAR got a 5.3 rating, while the second hour moved
      to 5.8. Composite for the show was 5.5

      Nitro got 5.8 in the first hour, 4.5 in the second, and 4.3 in the third
      and final hour. Composite for the show was 4.8

      In head to head competition, RAW won 5.5 to 4.4

      >> TERRY TAYLOR JOINS THE WWF
      By Colin Vassallo, [Editor@...]

      Yesterday we reported that the former "Red Rooster", Terry Taylor quit
      WCW, after he was working without a contract. We also said that we're
      not sure if he's going to the WWF yet.

      You can scrap that!

      Wrestlemaniacs.com broke the story that after 24 hours after he left
      TurnerLand, he moved to his 'old house', the World Wrestling Federation.
      He is now part of the WWF booking team, and already started to work
      helping Vince Russo, Ed Kaufman and other members in writing scripts for
      WWF TV.

      NewsStation - http://www.wrestling-online.com/newsstation/

      - This Friday (1/22), Stone Cold Steve Austin will be doing a WWF AOL
      chat starting at 9:00 PM EST. Fans may ask questions by emailing
      askscsa@...

      - Sunday NIght Heat got a 3.9 rating on 1/17

      - Credit goes to The Hawk for the following report:

      WWF Superstar Edge spoke out today on two different shows here in Canada
      on TSN. The first was Off The Record (6pmET) and the second was
      Gallagher (730pmET), here is what I took note from both shows.

      Real name is Adam Copeland, 6'4" 240lbs and born in Orangeville,
      Ontario. Other wrestling names were Adam Impact and Sexton Hardcastle.

      Next Monday he will be in a Hardcore tag match, he did not say who it
      was with or against.

      He was upset at Landsberg for saying Edge only made $25,000 per year, he
      never said how much he actually makes but I believe it is $250,000 per
      year.

      Said WWF is popular because the people love the Hardcore matches

      Said his only WWF injury was landing head first on the floor doing a
      suicide dive.

      Said Mick Foley was an amazing man and took a lot of punishment at KOTR

      Foley separated shoulder, cracked ribs, tooth up his nose, wrestled with
      concussion and he didn't even remember going through the cage or landing
      on tacks, he was knocked out.

      OTR Quirky Fact was that Gangrel and Luna are married

      Edge will be on the cover of TV Guide in Canada the week of Feb 8.

      Edge said he had "no clue" about the Giant going to the WWF

      When asked about joining the Undertaker he laughed at first and danced
      around the subject but did not say yes or no.

      Another guest on OTR was fitness model Trish Stratus. She is working on
      getting a WWF contract as a valet, she is blonde, beautiful and
      seriously is a contender to Debra, Sable and Sunny when it comes to
      hottest wrestling woman. It's not official yet but she said they are
      really close.

      Edge and Gallagher did a comedic skit in a boxing ring where Edge used
      to train, not that funny

      Been training to be a wrestler since 1992 which is when he was 17. He is
      25 now.

      Used to set up the ring when he was 16 years old because it was his
      dream to be a wrestler

      Internet poll was who is best Canadian wrestling today: 1. Bret Hart, 2.
      Edge, 3. Chris Jericho

      He was happy that the WWF let him talk on TV now, he wants everybody to
      know he is a "goof"

      In the future he hopes to get a run at the tag titles or take the
      European title from X-Pac

      He enjoys hockey as another sport

      He was wearing a Brood t-shirt that was really cool

      He said giving Bloodbaths to people was fun, they only do the Bloodbaths
      because they can

      He said there is NO heat between Canadian and American wrestlers,
      relationships in the WWF are based on respect

      He gave Gallagher a Crossface Chicken Wing to end the segment

      Personal Notes:

      - It was great hearing him talk because right now he has a quiet
      character in the WWF and it's probably the first time I've heard him
      talk since his WWF debut last summer.

      - He is a pretty big guy not just vertically but he is very well built.

      - On Feb 1st the Rock will be on Gallagher at 830pmET as well as many
      WWF superstars because they are giving away a Raw Road Trip Prize Pack

      - On Feb 8th, Debra, Sable & Chyna will be on Gallagher at 730pmET

      Also I have learned that Raw will be live in Canada on February 8th at
      9pmET, it is pre-empted in the USA until Saturday February 13th. I will
      be attending the show live but after I tape it I'll provide a report for
      you on Tuesday afternoon.

      It was good seeing Edge speak, he is a great wrestler and definitely on
      the rise.

      NewsStation - http://www.wrestling-online.com/newsstation/

      - Mark Madden wrote the following:

      Why is the stuff from Jim Ross'' hotline taken as the word of God, like
      it was handed down on tablets from a mountaintop? I get rapped for being
      a shill, which I don't feel I am. Wrestling is a side job for me. I try
      to be objective even within the context of
      working as an independent contractor for WCW, and I've got the 7-week
      unemployment stretch to prove that WCW is not always happy with me. I
      try to call it like I see it. if you can find anyone more anti-Hogan or
      anti-Sting than me, I'd love to know who that
      might be.

      But Jim Ross IS a shill. That's not an insult. It is simply what he is.
      He has never uttered a word on the WWF hotline that has not served the
      WWF cause. Yet his hotline reports are constantly a cause celebre on web
      pages, taken as gospel truth from first
      word to last. He is praised as a decent human being, and believe me,
      he's worked in wrestling far too long to be a decent human being.

      This, to me, is mind-boggling. Can you explain the internet community's
      obsession with everything Jim Ross says?

      - WCW Saturday Night got a 2.1 rating on 1/16.

      - It's confirmed as of now, THQ's WCW Nitro for the N64 will be in
      stores on February 11, 1999. With a ship date of February 10. WCW Nitro
      is a hybrid port of THQ's last two PSX wrestling games 'WCW Nitro', and
      'WCW/NWO Thunder'. WCW Nitro for the N64 was developed by Inland
      Productions in Chicago. Remember release dates are always tentative and
      subject to change. (Sunny Sandhu)

      - Mongo wasn't on the PPV because he missed his flight. (MiCasa)

      - Liz may become Luger's manager. (MiCasa)

      The editor can be reached at Editor@...

      Copyright 1996-1999 Wrestling-Online

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/wrestling-online