    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 1999

      W R E S T L I N G - O N L I N E
      N E W S L E T T E R

      Friday, January 3rd, 1999

      I S S U E # 2 5 4

      The Official daily newsletter of Wrestling-Online.com

      | Total | Editor: |
      | Subscribers: | Colin Vassallo |
      | 8,947 | Editor@... |

      http://www.spcltees.com/316.html FOR JUST $10!!! DURABLE IMPRINT ON

      >> Scoops staff reply to the Bret Hart autograp signing incident ...
      >> Mike Mooneyham: Living legend Flair puts WCW back in the race ...
      >> WWF News ...
      >> WCW News ...
      >> Today's Article: Hammer Time ...

      By: Colin Vassallo, [Editor@...]

      The WWF will return to the UK in May for another PPV! Details are still
      unknown, but Wrestling-Online are organizing a group trip for the fans
      who want to go (That includes ME!). If you want to go to the event, and
      would like to stay in the hotel with us, drop me an e-mail and I'll put
      you on a special mailing list. All tickets will be cut together, so
      everyone will stay near eachother (for those who want to come with us).
      Please, only those SERIOUS of coming should join the mailing list.

      As some of you might know, Wrestling-Online's co-owner Axel Mate is a
      singer and has released at the end of last year his debut album that
      went platinum 2 weeks after it's release, so, with that in mind, the
      Spanish Music TV Channel "Sol Musica" has included Axel's music video on
      the ballots for the video of the year award.

      So, if don't have anything better to do, go ahead and e-mail Sol Musica
      at : solmusica@... , and put as a subject:

      Best Portuguese Video Of The Year : AXEL "COMO É QUE EU SEI".

      Write the same in the message box. Come on, go ahead...make Axel's
      day....let's help make Axel the REAL JJ!!!! Both him and I are counting
      on you, you got till the end of the week to cast your vote!

      Credit: Peter Hart

      "There were a small group of guys that were at the Bret appearance that
      were rude and distruptive throughout the whole event. They annoyed the
      other fans with comments and yelling things towards Bret. These were the
      same guys who demanded to get their memorabilia autographed or they
      would would slamm Scoops online. It's too bad that there are people out
      there who will distort the truth if they don't get what they want. We're
      here for our fans and our fans will always come first, but we will not
      allow a few bad apples to ruin the event for others.

      If these guys had bothered to take the time to contact us ahead of time
      or to introduce themselves in a courtesy way, then who knows - I
      probably would have taken the magazine over to Bret myself. Instead they
      threatened us with defamation if we did not comply, sorry but we do not
      take well to threats.

      Here are the facts as we remember them:

      1) We began advertising Bret's appearance on 12/25
      2) The advertisement said Bret would be there to autograph copies of his
      3) In the News Al stated the same.
      4) We did not mention the tee-shirts, but the tee-shirts actualy made it
      less expensive for fans to get autographs.
      5) Bret would only agree to sign tee-shirts and videos - nothing else
      6) The mall does not allow (according to them it's a law) the selling of
      autographs in public places.
      7) On the other hand fans were allowed to go up and shake his hand and
      speak with him, without having to purchase anything.
      8) By comparison, Arn Anderson was appearing on the Island the same day
      and was charging a $20 cover to get in the door.
      9) This was a promotion for the Bret hart video not for Scoops.

      Take care,

      The Slammer

      PS (And yes we did let some children get autographs because heck they
      were little kids. As far as the girls go, that was Bret - not us)"

      By: Mike Mooneyham, Post & Courier

      There are stars. There are superstars. And then there are living
      legends. Ring announcer Michael Buffer perhaps best summed it up when he
      introduced the greatest performer in the modern era of professional
      wrestling on Monday night. Ric Flair, who has held the world heavyweight
      title 13 times during an unparalleled career that has spanned 25 years,
      last week did what he does so well.

      Ric Flair put WCW back in the race.

      WCW, which began 1998 as the number one promotion in the country but has
      seen its supremacy overtaken by the WWF in recent months, ended the year
      with a bang and renewed optimism for 1999. The reason, pure and simple,
      is Ric Flair. Since his return Flair has single-handedly pumped new life
      into a company that seemingly had taken a creative leave of absence
      while watching the WWF expand its lead in the Monday night ratings war.
      Flair, who had put WCW in an enviable position in early 1998 with a
      potential big-money feud with Bret Hart, saw the legs cut out from under
      that program in favor of Hulk Hogan-pushed celebrity matches and the
      return of The Warrior. Flair stood his ground, however, and parted ways
      with the company, making it clear that his reputation would not be
      sacrificed at the altar of WCW politics.

      The WWF, meanwhile, continued to gain ground with Flair out of the
      picture. Coming up with more creative and entertaining storylines, along
      with an energized Jim Ross enjoying one of his best years behind the
      mic, Raw pulled many viewers away from Nitro, which by now had earned a
      well-deserved reputation of being the Hollywood Hogan show. New WWF
      groups such as DX and The Corporation became perceived as hipper and
      cooler than their WCW counterparts, which splintered into diluted
      factions such as NWO Hollywood, NWO Wolfpac, the LWO, Raven's Flock and
      the One Warrior Nation.

      Flair's return last September in Greenville was probably the most
      emotional wrestling moment ever captured on television. His interviews
      since then have been some of the best of his career, and that's saying a
      lot. His fiery spiel two weeks ago on Nitro and subsequent whipping of
      former Horseman Barry Windham was vintage Flair. And last Monday night's
      tirade and drubbing of Eric Bischoff, along with a post-match
      celebration that made viewers feel they had truly witnessed something
      special, was Ric Flair at his best.

      Flair pulled a rabbit out of the hat twice in recent weeks as he not
      only salvaged a terrible angle (heart attack) and a terrible
      pay-per-view (Starrcade), but he turned in some of the most memorable
      performances of the year in professional wrestling.

      WCW has a golden opportunity to turn the tide when it invades the
      Georgia Dome for this week's Nitro that will be headlined by a return
      world title match between Kevin Nash and Bill Goldberg. The show is
      expected to draw the largest crowd in WCW history (40,000 plus),
      eclipsing last summer's mark at the same location set by the Hulk
      Hogan-Bill Goldberg title change.

      What would make the record-breaking evening even more memorable and
      attention-grabbing would be to have WCW owner Ted Turner make a rare
      personal appearance and officially establish Ric Flair as the new
      "leader" of WCW - if only for 90 days as the angle stipulates. Not only
      would it give the storyline more credibility, it would be a
      well-deserved tip of the hat to acknowledge the man who has been the
      flagship wrestler for Turner's organization and SuperStation for the
      past two decades.

      But before giving WCW too much credit for its one-week success, a sober,
      objective look at the situation portends a gloomier forecast. Lurking in
      the background and threatening the rising momentum at WCW is the
      impending return of Hollywood Hogan. Hogan, who watched ratings drop as
      he shoved tired and stale angles and even staler characters down the
      collective throat of the WCW audience, announced his retirement last
      month after allegedly being asked by Eric Bischoff to reduce his
      overbearing presence on WCW shows. That now appears to have been a
      scenario worked by the two and designed to give a glimmer of hope to
      others in the company who may have had aspirations of moving up the

      Hogan reportedly was a factor in the recent deal between WCW and NBC,
      and will return as part of the package. Hogan is expected to make an
      appearance at this week's Nitro in Atlanta where he will make a farewell
      speech, only to set up a grandstand play to reform the original NWO
      along with Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. Signs of Hogan's return began to
      surface last week on TNT's "Best of Nitro" show which more aptly should
      have been called the "Best of Hogan." Conspicuously absent on the
      three-hour offering, which drew a strong 3.5 rating in a Tuesday night
      slot, was footage from the Arn Anderson retirement speech and the return
      of Ric Flair - the two greatest moments on Nitro.

      My name is Tara and I've recently started an Undertaker club called the
      I invite you to check it out and/or join! So, please go to

      NewsStation - http://www.wrestling-online.com/newsstation/

      - Ken Shamrock will be having his elbow scoped on January 4th. He has
      been pulled from all upcoming WWF house shows until the Royal Rumble.
      Ken Shamrock will be appearing however on WWF programming to set up for
      his Intercontinental Title defense against "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn.

      - The WWF will be making big announcements regarding their television in
      a few weeks.

      - A big angle is planned for The Undertaker on the 1/10 Raw is War, live
      from Houston, Texas. Ross says that it has made everyone upset.

      - Keller says that Steve Austin was pissed when Vince McMahon ordered
      him to appear at the Tuesday Raw Tapings. As the story goes, Austin flew
      in on Monday to do his portion of the Superbowl commercial, and when
      McMahon saw that Austin was healthy enough, he decided to use him for
      the finish of Rock v. Mankind at the Tuesday tapings. Austin had planned
      to fly home on Tuesday so he could go deer hunting early the following
      morning. The season ended at the end of December, and Austin's injury
      had prevented him from planning a trip earlier. At first, Austin refused
      to change his hunting plans on such short notice, but McMahon insisted,
      and Austin eventually agreed. (MiCasa)

      ***Chyna faces a conflict of interest as Triple H takes on "Sexual
      Chocolate" Mark Henry! Does Chyna side with the superstar she protects,
      or the one that sources say gives her lovin'? Both superstars will have
      to stay focused on the match. "Sexual Chocolate" has had trouble
      concentrating in the ring for the last several weeks since his date with
      the Ninth Wonder of the World. As the leader of D-Generation X, Triple H
      knows that the Corporation is watching closely and could attack at any

      ***Speaking of Team Corporate, the Tag Team Champions, Big Boss Man and
      Ken Shamrock, will face Owen Hart and Jeff Jarrett in a non-title
      affair. Hart and Jarrett have developed quite a chemistry
      lately--"blazing" through the ranks! Even though both are "blue" about
      being unmasked, they get their chance to rocket up the ladder of
      contention on HEAT. Plus, Debra will be at ringside, making it a virtual
      Handicap Match for the

      ***Two young superstars will collide when Val Venis takes on Brood
      member Christian. The
      Adult Film Star will have to keep one eye on the former Light
      Heavyweight Champion, and the other on Christian's fellow faction

      ***The New Age Outlaws have a lot on their minds these days. Not only
      are they attempting to win back the Tag Team Titles, but in recent weeks
      both the Road Dogg
      and Billy Gunn have had challenges in singles competition as well. We'll
      hear from the former Tag Team Champions on HEAT!

      Don't forget to check out Code Red, which airs at 6:30 PM ET on WWF.COM.
      If you want all the inside stuff, you gotta watch Code Red!

      NewsStation - http://www.wrestling-online.com/newsstation/

      - Kevin Nash has his new official website located at

      - Eddie Guerrero was in a car accident in New Year's eve, he broke his
      hip and punctured either his liver or lunge. (De Leon)

      - WCW Saturday Night (Best of Goldberg) Recap Saturday, January 1, 1999
      [Credit Joe de Leon, RWIN]

      WCW aired its "Best of Goldberg" special on 1/2, on TBS, replacing the
      normal Saturday Night program.

      Mike Tenay and Scott Hudson commentated the special from the Georgia
      Dome in Atlanta.

      Goldberg matches that were completely recapped were Goldberg vs. Hugh
      Morrus, Goldberg vs. Raven, Goldberg vs. Hollywood Hogan, Goldberg vs.
      Sting, Goldberg vs. The Giant, Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page, and
      interviews from Goldberg and Hogan. All matches and interviews took
      place at Nitro, except for Goldberg's match with DDP, which took place
      at Halloween Havoc in October, and was freely shown on cable television,
      due to the PPV timing glitch that happened.

      >> HAMMER TIME
      By: Axel Mate, [Axel@...

      Well...well...well...1999 !!!!

      A week ago a magazine asked me for the best and the worst in 1998...this
      what I said :

      The best thing in 1998 : my debut album (sorry...had to plug it)
      The worst thing in 1998 : The death of JYD !!

      You got it...it was the worst thing in 1998...for years and years JYD
      was an inspiration for me...as a preformer..as well as to other
      wrestling fans and wrestlers themselves.

      You can go ahead and disagree with me...but that's the way I feel about
      it...but then again I once stated for another magazine that I thought
      that Vince Macmahon was the International personality of the
      year...so...what else can you expect from me !!!!

      Another thing that was great was the much talked trip to England with
      Colin ...well.....you get a Wrestler and a sex maniac..and what do ya
      get ??...Nope...not a Steven Regal lookalike...but you have two party
      animals !

      The highlight of the trip??? Other than a look at Jacky's boobs at
      Capital Carnage...the airport match against Colin...and what an ass
      whippin he got (just kidding)!! The whole trip was a highlight!!!

      Well... I just wanna wish you all a great 99'...not a 69' as Colin is
      wishing and as Bryan Adams immortalized (nope...that's not Adams from
      NWO)...and I hope that 99 brings a great wrestling year and that every
      wish comes true for all you great readers of this publication !!!

      HAVE A GREAT YEAR !!!!!!!

      BTW...the shameless plug...visit both wrestling-online.com and
      AXELONLINE.com.....the 2 only websites that matter !!!!!!

      The editor can be reached at Editor@...

      Copyright 1996-1998 Wrestling-Online

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/wrestling-online