    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2002
      Get the new WWE Undisputed Title! - http://www.wrestlingmegastore.com

      http://www.wrestlingdotcom.com - All new design!

      | (_) | .` | |__ | || .` | _| Wednesday, July 31st 2002

      We have some pretty interesting discussions going on at our FanBoard
      that could very well be great topics for future articles. If you feel
      like throwing your two cents about what's being said, just log on to
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/fanboard/ and join the discussions.

      Not sure if there will be a newsletter tomorrow. Later.

      Post your comments/feedback on the news at our new Reader's Forum at
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/fanboard
      Order the **NEW** GotchaWrestling.com 30 minute VHS tape for a special
      price of only $30.00 Include code: CO-VA to receive this offer of $30.
      Check out these two fresh face, professional models having a friendly
      match of scissor holds, and figure fours. For more information, go to:
      http://www.GotchaWrestling.com . We are a new website set to open the
      end of July, with already two video r eleases, and 3 more videos
      currently being edited.....

      http://www.wrestling-online.com/news

      > WWE NIAGARA FALLS OFFICIALLY OPENS
      - WWE Niagara Falls had its official opening complete with appearances
      from Trish Stratus, Chris Benoit, Val Venis and WWE Canada President
      Carl Demarco. W-O Newsletter correspondent Ralph Aversa was on hand at
      the grand opening of this 4,000 square foot interactive retail
      attraction and filed in this report.

      "Hundreds and hundreds of WWE fans lined Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls,
      Ontario, Canada as the WWE opened "WWE Niagara Falls", a retail store
      with the Pile Driver, a ride that shoots you up 220 feet in the air at 3
      G's. The is the first of an apparent string of retail stores to be
      opened in the world. Two MC's were there prepping the crowd for the
      press conference and superstar appearances. The two MC's were basically
      huge marks, and were extremely annoying. Many media outlets were also
      present from both Canada and the US.

      Trish Stratus, Chris Benoit, and Val Venis were there for the grand
      opening. I ended up meeting all three, and they were all very nice and a
      pleasure to meet. However, I strongly disagreed with the "no-picture
      policy" that was in effect. Especially after sitting in the rain for two
      hours, in to say the least an unorganized environment, to not be able to
      get a picture with the superstars was not the best call by the WWF.

      Benoit and I actually had a quick conversation on his current feud with
      RVD. Benoit said last Monday was his first match ever with Van Dam, and
      he would love to have a rematch with him at the next PPV. He said though
      he'd also like to get 15-20 matches under his belt with RVD before they
      have a big PPV match. Benoit also said wrestling with a high-flyer
      wasn't too different from a technical wrestler, and that things flowed
      pretty smoothly in the ring with RVD.

      WWE Niagara Falls is pretty cool. The actual premises and the ride are
      first-class. However, very little organization was used in the autograph
      session and the press conference. Also, the store is not as stocked as
      the store in WWE New York. It is also about a 1/4th the size of the NY
      store.

      Finally, on a personal note, I introduced myself to Carl DeMarco, the
      president of WWE Canada. Although not everyone agrees with DeMarco (He
      is constantly booed when introduced throughout Canada), I must say he
      was very nice and we were able to have a quick conversation."

      - Ralph also managed to snap pictures of the place which show the store,
      the ride and the WWE superstars on hand. You can check them out at our
      One Timers section at the Info Central page on our website at
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/infocentral/

      > RATINGS
      - The 4.3 rating of last week was just a short term spike as this week
      ratings plunged back to a 3.7 with a 6.0 share off hours 3.4 and 4.0. In
      other weekend numbers, Velocity and Confidential did a 0.8 each while
      Heat did a 1.0. (Ratings compiled by Nielsen Media Research and put
      online by 1wrestling.com)

      > WWE INC., OPENS WWE FILMS
      - World Wrestling Entertainment today announced that it opened another
      company called WWE Films, a company that will take care of all WWE's
      wrestlers involvement in Hollywood as well as the production of movies
      and TV shows involving WWE superstars. Joel Simon - executive producer
      and producer of movies such as X-Men and Wild Wild West - has been
      appointed President of WWE Films and from now on he'll be working
      exclusively on WWE projects. WWE.COM also has an interview up with Simon
      and you can check it out at http://www.wwe.com/news/headlines/1163347 .
      The company will be based in Los Angeles, CA., as opposed to Stamford,
      CT., where the headquarters of WWE, Inc., are located.

      > WWE STOCKS
      - Stocks closed the day at 10.15, a 1.55% decrease over the previous
      trade. The day's range was 10.15 - 10.37.

      > ROCK INTERVIEW ON WWE.COM
      - In an interview with WWE.COM, The Rock said that he will try and
      balance his movie career and his wrestling one as much as he can, adding
      that during filming he will have to sacrifice his wrestling dates.
      WWE.COM caught up with The Rock to talk about his upcoming movie
      projects, wrestling and pretty much everything else. You can read it at
      http://www.wwe.com/news/headlines/1162850

      >> DON'T BLAME CANADA
      By Jason Clevett, [jason.clevett@...]

      In the 1980's, wrestling fans collected stars like The British Bulldogs,
      The Hart Foundation, Randy Savage and Roddy Piper. Giant rubber
      figurines that did... absolutely nothing. Not poseable, not bendable.
      Basically they were in a pose and that was that. You couldn't do
      anything with them, and really had to stretch your imagination to make
      them wrestle.

      Fast forward a few years and the new generation of WWF action figures.
      They were substancially smaller and made of plastic. Each wrestler had
      their signature move. you could do Randy Savage's flying elbow smash,
      Brutus Beefcakes sleeperhold and a headbutt from Andre the Giant. The
      flaw with these figures was that they were still relativly immobile and
      restricted. For example "Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich's action figure
      was outstretched arms, and you spun his body for a "tornado punch".
      Other then that he was basically useless. Demolition's Ax could do a
      press slam and that was about it (A design later used for both Hulk
      Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior." While shelves were lined with Comic
      Book and Movie action figures that had multiple joints the WWF toys,
      while an improvement, still weren't very good. You could get a better
      match pitting Captain America against Spiderman or Wolverine vs
      Sabertooth.

      In late 1996 Jakks presented the first in a series of action figures
      that has lead to today's. The first series, consisting of Bret Hart,
      Shawn Michaels (In blue tights), Undertaker, Golddust and a recently
      departed
      Razor Ramon and Diesel all had "Bone crunching action." Basically if you
      moved their joints they made sort of a cracking sound. These would be
      the best style of figures yet, and future sets would include nearly
      every WWF
      star, from Owen Hart to Vader to Steve Williams and Kama.

      So I was wandering my local store recently, and having not purchased a
      WWF toy in years wandered to the Toy Department to check things out. I
      quickly snatched the last remaining Lance Storm figure and whisked it
      away in the mail to get autographed. However the Chris Benoit I bought I
      decided, for you my loyal readership, to pop open and test it out.

      We've come a long way baby.

      Ok, so the legs are like sticks, but you can actually move the character
      and, in theory, execute your favorite wrestlers moves. It doesn't have
      as many joints as the "Finishing move" double-figures but it is still a
      decent toy. These days action figures get accessories like chairs,
      cookie sheets or title belts. There are backstage and in ring playsets,
      including ones that play theme music and use wrestlers voices. One could
      easily construct a reasonable facsimile of a Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit
      using these figures.

      It only took close to 20 years to finally master the WWF (It still says
      that on the packaging) action figure. To bad I'm too old to play with
      them....

      Till next week.