    Jan 11, 2014

      Saturday, January 11, 2014 Issue #4069

      Nothing to say today. Have a great weekend!

      > DIRECTV NOT HAPPY ABOUT WWE NETWORK
      - While WWE fans are excited about the WWE Network, one company isn’t
      because it will effect their revenue. That company is DirecTV, one of the
      PPV distributors for WWE. A typical deal between WWE and distributors is
      usually 50/50 according to a report by the Los Angeles Times. With the
      Network in place that means that companies such as DirecTV will lose on
      that 50% deal if a subscriber switches to WWE Network. "Clearly we need to
      quickly re-evaluate the economics and viability of their business with us,
      as it now appears the WWE feels they do not need their PPV distributors,"
      DirecTV said in a statement. The statement added that the audience for
      PPVs have been at a steady decline and the Network will surely accelerate
      the trend. WWE quickly replied through Vince McMahon who said that DirecTV
      would be foolish not to carry their pay-per-views anymore as they will
      still make money from those who do not subscribe to the WWE Network.

      > MCMAHON SAYS IT WAS HIS CHOICE TO GO VIA INTERNET
      - Speaking with the Los Angeles Times, WWE Chairman and Chief Executive
      Officer Vince McMahon said that it was his call not to sign a deal for a
      traditional distribution of the WWE Network. McMahon said that the company
      already had deals in place with major distributors but their terms were
      too restrictive and at the end of the day it would have generated 20 cents
      per subscriber per month for WWE. “I said, much to the chargin of my
      staff, I’m not going to sign it,” McMahon told the LA Times. The Chairman
      and CEO said that it will take a million subscribers to break even but is
      confident in the WWE fans as they are “early adopters of new
      technologies.” Michelle Wilson, WWE’s Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer
      said that going with over-the-top service and technology gives the company
      better control of their own destiny and better user interface. “We think
      this is the future,” Wilson said.

      > GOOD NEWS FOR ZIGGLER REGARDING CONCUSSION
      - Dolph Ziggler received some good news regarding the concussion he
      suffered earlier this week in a match against Ryback taped for Superstars.
      WWE physician Dr. Chris Amann told WWE.COM that all the tests done on
      Ziggler appear to be equivocal to baseline and within normal limits. “His
      symptoms have improved significantly since the injury on Monday, so our
      plan right now is to have him continue to rest, and when he is
      asymptomatic, have him start doing some light cardiovascular exercise, and
      if that goes okay, we will proceed with our exertional protocol." This is
      the second concussion Ziggler has suffered in less than a year.

      > WWE SIGNS NEW 5 YEAR TV DEAL IN THAILAND
      - WWE and CTH announced a new 5 year exclusive television distribution
      deal that will make CTH the home of all WWE television in Thailand. The
      new deal allows CTH to broadcast full versions of RAW, Smackdown and Main
      Event along with Superstars, NXT, Afterburn, Bottomline, Experience,
      Vintage Collection, This Week in WWE, and all the WWE pay-per-views via
      the CTH Sports Spirit channel. "I am delighted to welcome WWE to the CTH
      family," said Kittsanan Ngamphathipong, Chief Executive Officer, CTH.
      "With the addition of WWE to the CTH line-up, we look forward to
      delivering priceless experiences to our audiences and growing our
      subscribers exponentially. Connecting two powerful brands like WWE and CTH
      is exciting, and we look forward to building the relationship."

      > WATCH THE FULL WWE NETWORK ANNOUNCEMENT
      - WWE has uploaded the full length WWE Network announcement which was held
      on Wednesday in Las Vegas at the Wynn Hotel as part of CES 2014. Running a
      total of 52 minutes, the announcement featured appearances from Vince
      McMahon, Stephanie McMahon, execs Michelle Wilson and Perkins Miller,
      along with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and Stone Cold Steve Austin. The
      event aired live and only bits and pieces were uploaded until yesterday
      when the full show was made available on YouTube. You can watch it at
      http://w-o.it/1fm5ob5

      > LESNAR TAKES ON BIG SHOW AT THE RUMBLE
      - The second match for the Royal Rumble was made official last night on
      Smackdown featuring the Big Show taking on the returning Brock Lesnar.
      This will be the second time that the two will be fighting at a Royal
      Rumble as they have already went head to head at the 2003 pay-per-view
      event with Lesnar defeating Show to qualify for the Rumble later on that
      evening. Lesnar eventually went on to win the Royal Rumble match
      eliminating the Undertaker. The two have a good history together with Paul
      Heyman turning on Lesnar and siding with the Big Show at the 2002 Survivor
      Series, a short match which saw a title change and the face turn of Brock
      Lesnar. In 2003 they also wrestled during a Smackdown show where Lesnar
      did a superplex on Big Show with the ring imploding upon impact in one of
      the best visuals ever in WWE history with even Tazz screaming “Holy sh!t”
      on commentary.

      > AJ STYLES DROPS HIS TNA TITLE ON IMPACT
      - AJ Styles participated in his last TNA match against Magnus at the show
      which aired this past Thursday on Impact, losing his TNA title to Magnus
      to unify the two titles. Magnus was announced as the “new undisputed TNA
      heavyweight champion of the world” after the match was over as he and
      Dixie Carter stood over Styles with both TNA titles held high. Styles has
      now been removed completely from the TNA website and he won’t be appearing
      on TNA television anymore after yesterday.

      > NEED A BODYGUARD? CALL KEN SHAMROCK!
      - Former WWE Intercontinental, Tag Team, and NWA World Heavyweight
      champion Ken Shamrock has found a new job that got him some publicity this
      week: Bodyguard. The UFC Hall of Famer was assigned to 50 Cent’s personal
      protection detail according to TMZ and he was with him in Las Vegas for
      CES. Shamrock confirmed that he works for a private security guard company
      that provides protection for several celebrities. With an MMA record of
      28-15-2, not many people would want to mess with someone when you have a
      mixed martial artist in your protective detail. Shamrock last fought
      professionally in 2010 and also had stints with WWE and TNA.