    Apr 6, 2013

      Saturday, April 6, 2013 Issue #3907

      Here's the second newsletter of the day, the Hall of Fame issue. We'll
      have photos posted tomorrow but in the meantime, some videos from the show
      are up on our YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/wrestlingonlinecom

      "GONE TOO SOON" and "WRESTLING'S SINKING SHIP"
      Dip into wrestling's past @ www.tinyurl.com/ihbooks
      Available on Kindle, iTunes and paperback via Amazon

      > FOLEY GOES ALMOST AN HOUR, DROPS ELBOW ON JERICHO ON STAGE
      - The Hall of Fame ceremony kicked off with the induction of the hardcore
      legend himself, Mick Foley. After the fantastic tribute video, Terry Funk
      came out for the speech which ended with him pulling out an envelope for
      the "nominees" - all four of them - which were Dude Love, Mankind, Cactus
      Jack, and Mick Foley. Foley came out to a loud ovation and did a few
      comedy spots. He thanked several people including Jimmy Snuka, Jim Ross,
      Randy Orton, The Rock, and The Undertaker. Foley talked a bit about that
      Hell In A Cell match against the Undertaker and put over Ross for his
      contribution to that match. The highlight of Foley's speech came when he
      said that he never managed to beat Chris Jericho and expressed his wish to
      at least drop an elbow on him. Jericho rushed to the stage and laid down
      on the floor as Foley prepared to drop an elbow. CM Punk then joined in on
      the fun and acted as the referee as Foley hit the elbow, followed by a
      three count by CM Punk. During his speech he mentioned he wished Santa
      Claus was there and after he wrapped up, Santa Claus came out and gave
      Foley a jacket as Christmas music was played in the background. Foley's
      speech went almost an hour and was the person who spoke the longest. You
      can see a video of Foley dropping the elbow on Jericho at
      http://w-o.it/ZGNCkz

      > TRISH STRATUS ANNOUNCES SHE'S PREGNANT
      - Former seven time Women's champion Trish Stratus was the second person
      inducted into the Hall of Fame with Stephanie McMahon doing the honors.
      McMahon came out following the video introduction for Trish and one person
      immediately screamed "You're hot" when the crowd silenced down. Yes, she
      did indeed look hot. McMahon put over Trish for being a successful
      wrestler and business woman and called her an inspiration. Stratus came
      out in a long dress showing some cleavage and thanked Stephanie for her
      intro and returning the favor with some nice words of her own. Trish
      thanked her trainer, and some other influential people in her life
      including Fit Finlay, Jim Ross, the McMahon family, and the fans. She also
      thanked her fellow former Divas - Mickie James, Beth Phoenix, Jazz, Molly
      Holly, Victoria, and last but not least, Lita, who she called her best
      friend. Stratus recounted a story of when she went to the WWE HQ in
      Stamford for the first time to meet Jim Ross and how she was in awe of all
      the stuff displayed in the building. Trish then picked a pen from her
      cleavage, yes, it was hiding there, which JR used to sign her contract and
      put her thumb on the F of the old scratched WWF logo so "the pandas don't
      get pissed." Big pop for that. She then thanked her family, including her
      mom who was battling cancer when she retired and is now cancer free. Her
      last thanks went to her husband Ron, who was booed out of the building
      every time she mentioned his name or a cute story. He took it well and
      laughed along and then Trish revealed that she is pregnant with the
      couple's first child. The fans and her peers gave her a standing ovation
      for the announcement and she is expected to be a mom in September.

      > BOOKER T GIVES FANS A SPINAROONIE AT THE END OF HIS SPEECH
      - The third person to get honored at the Hall of Fame was former five
      time, five time, five time, five time, five time WCW champion Booker T,
      inducted by his older brother Stevie Ray. The former one half of the
      Harlem Heat looked genuinely excited to be there to honor his brother and
      recounted a few stories of when they were kids. Ray said that they lost
      both of their parents when they were very young and while Booker was
      always attached to his hip, he couldn't help him when he was jailed for a
      few years. In jail, all the two talked about was professional wrestling so
      when Booker got out they started training and were offered to go try
      wrestling out by Ivan Putski. Booker came out and thanked his brother as
      well as some other people including JBL, Jim Ross (again), Michael Cole,
      the Undertaker and some other people. He said he started with nothing and
      eventually won the big prize and made it to the top of the mountain. He
      told a story when it was the last WCW Nitro back in March of 2001 and Dave
      Penzer - the WCW ring announcer - came up to him crying asking him what he
      was going to do now. Booker told him that he was going to WWE and compete
      with the very best in the world. Booker also thanked his very emotional
      wife and former WWE Diva Sharmell who had their baby daughter with them
      clapping for her father. Booker wrapped up his speech with his usual "can
      you dig that" and tried to walk off but his brother told him to go back
      and do the spinaroonie. Booker took his jacket off and gave the crowd a
      Hall of Fame spinaroonie on the stage. You can see the video of that at
      http://w-o.it/17k6T2R

      > BOB BACKLUND GIVES THE CRAZIEST HOF SPEECH
      - Perhaps the craziest Hall of Fame speech followed Booker T's segment
      with Bob Backlund giving Iron Sheik a run for his money for the wackiest
      induction. TV host and actress Maria Menounos did the introduction for
      Backlund and the hostile New York crowd showed absolutely no love for the
      celebrity. As she was recounting stories of how she met Backlund and his
      accomplishments, the crowd kept booing her and shouting obscene things in
      a total show of lack of respect. Eventually the cheers came out as
      Backlund - in full gimmick - came on stage and started his weird speech.
      Shouting in the microphone and sometimes running around on stage, Backlund
      cracked the crowd with some hilarious stories. He then turned into a
      serious mode however just as he was about to return to his normal self,
      Vince McMahon came out slowly and told Backlund to hurry up, motioning to
      his watch. Backlund freaked out again and went back into crazy mode but
      eventually wrapped up the speech. While the in-between segment commercial
      was going on he tried to speak again but the microphone was off and he
      then gave up and left.

      > DONALD TRUMP BOOED OUT OF THE BUILDING AT THE HALL OF FAME
      - Maria Menounos wasn't the only person booed at the Hall of Fame as
      Donald Trump got some pretty nasty welcome in Madison Square Garden as
      well. Vince McMahon did the Trump induction and even though McMahon tried
      to soften Trump up with the crowd by saying how he is a big friend of WWE,
      the crowd wasn't having any of it. Trump was booed for most of his speech
      and eventually cut it short after the abuse. He challenged Vince McMahon
      to a match at WrestleMania 30 and vowed to kick his ass. Trump said he
      received many awards and had many accomplishments in his life but being in
      the WWE Hall of Fame was one of the best feelings. He then introduced his
      son, who also got booed out of the building and his daughter Ivanka, who
      got cheered for obvious reasons. Trump noted that at least there is a
      member of the Trump family that the MSG crowd liked! Donald wrapped his
      speech quick and was the least person to talk while on stage.

      > BRUNO SAMMARTINO NOW A WWE HALL OF FAMER
      - The main event of the night was obviously the induction of the living
      legend, Bruno Sammartino. Sammartino was introduced by former California
      Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Schwarzenegger is a big friend of
      Sammartino and said it was a great honor for him to be there to induct his
      friend. Arnold talked about the weight lifting the two did and said that
      recently he bench pressed the New Jersey Governor out of his seat to a
      large pop from the crowd. Sammartino came out to two standing ovations
      from the crowd and peers as fans chanted "one more match," but the
      soon-to-be 78 year old was having none of that! Sammartino talked about
      the war, coming to America in 1950, being bullied at school, marrying his
      high school sweetheart, working for McMahon Sr., selling out Madison
      Square Garden and more. He thanked his doctors for keeping him in shape,
      Triple H for making all this possible, and the fans for returning every
      time he came to Madison Square Garden. Sammartino's speech didn't last
      that long as the clock hit the three and a half hour mark by the time he
      wrapped it up. You can see a video of his introduction at
      http://w-o.it/Zfz4sd

      > ROB VAN DAM SHOWS UP AT THE HALL OF FAME
      - Former WWE and ECW champion Rob Van Dam was at the Hall of Fame ceremony
      in Madison Square Garden, joining other former stars such as X-Pac, MVP,
      Tommy Dreamer, Lita, and others. Van Dam was last seen in the WWE during
      the 2009 Royal Rumble and he has been working for TNA for the past couple
      of years. His contract expired recently and a few weeks ago he declared
      himself a free agent. Van Dam told WWE.COM that he was there to support
      his friend Booker T and when he was asked if he's coming back, he replied,
      "There's always a chance."