322[wrestling-online] Wrestling-Online Newsletter #338

    Jun 1, 1999

      W R E S T L I N G - O N L I N E
      N E W S L E T T E R

      Tuesday, June 1st, 1999

      I S S U E # 3 3 8

      The Official daily newsletter of Wrestling-Online.com

      ----------------------------------
      | Editor: |
      | Colin Vassallo |
      | Editor@... |
      ----------------------------------

      ****** GET YOUR OWN CUSTOM MADE WRESTLING T-SHIRTS FROM
      http://www.wearthis.com STARTING FROM JUST $10!!! DURABLE IMPRINT ON
      GREAT QUALITY HANES 50/50 HEAVYWEIGHT T-SHIRTS! WEARTHIS.COM - OFFICIAL
      MERCHANDISE MAKERS FOR WRESTLING-ONLINE.COM ******

      Finally, we say goodbye to a horrific month. Glad I'm outta of it.

      No ratings today, due to the Memorial weekend.

      ==============
      ADVERTISEMENT:
      Become a part of Imaginary Sports Entertainment. This is as close to
      real as it gets without getting stunned by Stone Cold himself! Join now
      and your wrestler will go to Japan along with the rest of the WCWF for
      the month of June. Two new titles to be introduced and awarded in June!
      Get in and let's get it on!
      http://www.at-bay.com/wcwfwrestling/
      ==============

      > RAW IS WAR REPORT
      - Due to space limitations for this week, you can read RAW Is WAR report
      on the web at:
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/newsstation/messages/581.html

      > MCMAHON SPEAKS AT THE OWEN HART FUNERAL
      - As all of you know, yesterday morning tons of wrestling fans, along
      with wrestling superstars joined the Hart family and friends in saluting
      Owen Hart for the last time, in Calgary Canada. People like Hollywood
      Hogan, Steve Austin, The Rock, Chris Benoit, The Undertaker etc all were
      present for the ceremony. Rick Bell of the Calgary Sun newspaper tried
      to have a small interview with WWF owner Vince McMahon. "Don't say I
      have no comment. Don't tell the people I said that because I didn't. I
      have a lot to say and I will say it. I promise you that. But this is not
      the time to do it. Not now. Not today. I'm not here for that. Give me a
      few days. Give me to the end of the week. Then we'll talk," he said.

      > LAWSUIT BY THE HART FAMILY AGAINST THE WWF?
      - Most probably. "I'm a very forgiving person and I'm not bitter or
      angry, but there will be a day of reckoning. This is my final promise to
      Owen, and I won't let him down." Those are the exact words Martha Hart
      said yesterday morning during the funeral of her late husband Owen. Many
      people are blaming Vince McMahon for what happened to the Canadian
      wrestler, but no one can blame anyone before all the facts are in.
      "Whoever is responsible for what happened to Owen will be held
      accountable," brother Bret said. Both Bret and Martha appeared on Larry
      King Live yesterday for a 7 minute segment. She again said that the day
      of reckoning will come. The legendary host asked if she can further
      explain what she means, but Martha said that authorities wouldn't let
      her, and has no comment about her quote. It's very interesting to say
      that the coordinator for last Sunday's stunt with Owen Hart, is the same
      coordinator that helps Sting whenever he comes down for the rafters.

      > DUANE GILL RE-SIGNS WITH THE WWF
      - He was one of the biggest jobbers in the 80s...and thinking about it,
      he still is! A gimmick change led him to one title and a nice push on
      WWF TV. The man now known as "Gillberg" has re-signed with the WWF after
      being released with several other wrestlers a month or so ago. Gillberg
      wrestled on May 16th in the PPV at the Manchester Evening News Arena, in
      Manchester England, eventhough he wasn't under contract with the
      company. No figures were released on his new contract.

      > OWEN WAS SLATED TO WIN THE IC TITLE AT OVER THE EDGE
      - WWF Spanish commentators Hugo Savanovich and Carlos Cabrera during
      their coverage of Shotgun said Owen Hart was slated to win the
      Intercontinental Title last Sunday at Over The Edge, with help from Max
      Mini, the 'vertically-challenged' latin superstar. Max Mini was also
      going to be Owen's sidekick in the angles.

      > AFA THE WILD SAMOAN TO HOLD A SPECIAL SHOW ON OWEN'S BEHALF
      - Here's the e-mail Afa "The Wild Samoan" sent: "This is Afa, the Wild
      Samoan. Because of the loss of one of the best people I know, I decided
      to do a benefit show on Owen's behalf. WXW will be having a show on June
      12th at the WXW arena, in Hazelton, PA. Any wrestler who would like to
      join me in this special event, can e-mail me ASAP at:
      samoan1@...

      > VINCE MCMAHON ON LARRY KING LIVE NEXT THURSDAY
      - Next Thursday at 9PM EST, owner of the World Wrestling Federation
      Vince McMahon will join Larry King live for a small chat regarding the
      Owen Hart tragedy.

      > KING OF THE RING OFFICIAL WEBSITE
      - The World Wrestling Federation opened the official website for their
      annual King Of The Ring, now located at http://www.kingofthering.com .
      On the website you fill find past results, info how to claim free gifts,
      the KOTR wallpaper for your PC, etc.

      > WCW NITRO REPORT
      - Due to space limitations for this week, you can read the Nitro report
      on the web at:
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/newsstation/messages/580.html

      > GOLDBERG UNDERGOES KNEE SURGERY
      - Last week in Los Angeles, WCW superstar Bill Goldberg underwent knee
      surgery, performed by doctor Tony Daly. His surgery was successful, and
      Goldberg left the hospital on crutches after the operation was finished.
      He flew back to his home in Atlanta Georgia. Goldberg will be out for at
      least 5 or 6 weeks.

      > TRANSCRIPT OF BRET AND MARTHA FROM LARRY KING LIVE
      - KING: Joining us from Calgary, Alberta, Canada is Martha Hart, the
      widow of Owen Hart,
      and Bret "The Hitman" Hart, the brother of Owen Hart.

      The funeral was today. Both spoke at that ceremony; 450 people were
      inside the church. That's all it could hold. Almost half had to stand.
      There were 3,000 outside.

      Martha, did you realize how popular your husband was?

      MARTHA HART: Well, I always hoped he -- he was that popular, and he did
      travel internationally, so I knew that he was world-renowned, yes.

      KING: Bret, did you know it?

      BRET HART: Yes.

      KING: It seems in death his fame is, like, incredible?

      B. HART: No. You know what? Everybody's a closet wrestling fan, you
      know. But people watch wrestling -- people watch wrestling everywhere.
      And you know, I -- I know just having, you know, walking through
      airports and everywhere I go, people recognize you all the time. But I
      think the important thing I take pride in is knowing that they really
      recognized him for what he was. He was a great human being. It wasn't so
      much the
      recognition for being a wrestler, which he was a great wrestler also.

      KING: Martha, we don't know yet of course what happened. And there'll
      still be an inquiry as to cause and how the accident occurred, but you
      said today, "the day of reckoning will come." What were you referring
      to?

      M. HART: Well, I wish I could tell you, but I have been advised by
      counsel not to, so I
      have no comment on that.

      KING: It's a strong word, though, reckoning?

      M. HART: It is.

      KING: All right. Can we expect from that statement, Bret, that this
      story will get bigger before it gets lesser?

      B. HART: Yes. I think that we're going to, you know, both of us and I
      think my whole
      family and, you know, we do want some answers, and, you know, I don't
      think that's unfair for us to expect that.

      KING: Vince McMahon will be on this show next Thursday night. And your
      brother wrestled for him, right, Bret?

      B. HART: Yes, he did.

      KING: I mean, that's who he worked for the -- he was also a critic of
      the World Wrestling Federation at the same time, was he not?

      B. HART: My brother Owen?

      KING: Yes.

      B. HART: Yes, I don't think Owen or I was very content with the
      direction that Vince
      McMahon took wrestling. I think that, you know, wrestling was always
      something that we took a lot of pride in, at least in my family. It was
      something that was family entertainment. You know, we used to pride
      ourselves on, you know, it was something that grandchildren and
      grandfathers and sort of the entire family could do.

      It's a shame in a way, because Vince McMahon was actually the guy that
      sort of took it and brought it up to that level again, and then he took
      a radical course in a different
      direction, and it's become something very sleazy, and something that
      it's very hard to
      be proud of. And you know, I have always been disappointed. And I never
      felt that Owen -- I know Owen didn't like the direction that it was
      going. How could he?

      KING: Did Owen -- Martha did, Owen talk to you about this increased
      sexual attention
      and making this the -- playing up the sex aspect and the -- even more
      violent, the
      shows and the kind of show they put on? Was he against that?

      M. HART: Yes, he was. He -- we talked about it, and I think even he was
      more against
      it because I was so against it. And I let him know that, you know, I
      didn't think it was
      good, and we have a different kind of a lifestyle, Owen and I had a
      different kind of a
      lifestyle, where our children, you know, they go to private school, and
      we know reputable people.

      And I didn't think that it was proper for him to be in that kind of a
      role when he is a
      family man and, you know, has to see these people every day, these
      friends of ours and
      answer to them and unfortunately, people in the wrestling world, when
      they do these
      angles and different things -- you know, people tend to view them that
      way in real life.
      So, I didn't want to mesh the two, and so I always, you know, promoted
      him to keep
      that clean, wholesome kind of image.

      KING: Bret, do you feel the same way?

      B. HART: Absolutely. I have, you know, my kid stopped watching
      wrestling. I had, you
      know, I left under a dark cloud of, you know, very bad circumstances. I
      left the WWF
      two years ago.

      KING: I know.

      B. HART: And, you know, my kid stopped watching before I left. I know
      Martha's two
      children stopped watching. And I always thought that it was a shame
      because I think
      Vince McMahon, almost like, he built his company on the backs of little
      children, like
      they're the ones that, you know, the Hulk Hogan and eat your vitamins
      and he, you
      know, he -- I wouldn't say exploited it, but he made a lot of money --
      generated a lot
      of money off kids and their involvement in wrestling, and then he took
      this sort of
      radical direction he's taken. He still sells kids these toys, but at the
      same time the
      shows are totally unviewable for children.

      KING: Martha, was Owen thinking of leaving?

      M. HART: No he wasn't. I mean he was basically happy there. He had a
      two-year
      contract -- he had a five-year contract with two years left to go with
      one optional
      year, but he'd hoped to stay there, but maybe just reduce his schedule
      slightly, so...

      KING: Has World Championship Wrestling, the other big promotion in the
      field, helped
      any in the fact that it runs its matches a little differently, Bret?

      B. HART: I can't tell you what a difference is between the two
      companies. You know,
      there's a distinct difference in the class between one company and the
      other. Like, for
      example, when I found out about this horrible tragedy, I was met at the
      airport in Los
      Angeles by Eric Bischoff. He immediately chartered an airplane at the
      company's
      expense and flew me back.

      KING: That's World Championship Wrestling? He was on the show that
      night.

      B. HART: Yes. And he also told me, he said -- which is so kind -- and
      I've never had
      another promoter ever say this to me. He said, take all the time you
      need. We'll be
      waiting for you when you come back.

      And I just, you know, it's situations like that are sort of unheard of
      in wrestling, and I do want Eric Bischoff to know and the people in the
      WCW that I really do appreciate it. My family appreciates it. We have
      got all of these fans all around the world that they have been so kind
      to us. I know the fans, even in Kansas City, have been great to us. The
      police department in Kansas City has been great to us. We have had such
      tremendous outpour that I know my family and Martha, in particular, will
      never forget
      how kind everyone has been to us through this tragedy.

      KING: Martha, how are the kids doing?

      M. HART: Well, our children are seven. And my daughter is -- she'll just
      be going on to
      four. So they really don't have their arms around it right now. They
      just don't have a
      grasp of what's happened. But I would also like to thank Kansas City
      police department.
      They were wonderful to me, and very helpful, so -- and I appreciated
      that. I needed
      some answers, and they helped me.

      KING: Can we assume, since you mentioned reckoning and the legal advice,
      that -- we
      only have 30 seconds, Martha, that we will see some lawsuits out of
      this?

      M. HART: Well, I don't think it's ever safe to assume anything, so I
      think time will tell, and we'll just have to wait and see.

      KING: But we would not be shocked, right, Bret?

      B. HART: I don't think so. I don't think anyone would be too shocked at
      that. I think
      that what happened here was absolutely awful and should never have
      happened, and someone certainly should answer for it.

      KING: Thank you both very much. On a sad day, we appreciate your coming
      on.

      M. HART: Thank you.

      KING: Martha Hart, the widow and Bret "The Hitman" Hart, the brother of
      the late Owen
      Hart. Thanks for joining us on this edition of LARRY KING LIVE.

      Good night.

      The editor can be reached at Editor@...

      Copyright 1996-1999 Wrestling-Online

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/wrestling-online