    May 1, 2005

      Sunday May 1st, 2005 Issue #1988

      It's pay-per-view Sunday again. Even though it's just a RAW brand PPV, a
      lot of people will be interested in this event obviously due to the
      return of Hulk Hogan for another match. I won't be watching live, but
      I'll have it taped. Hogan's return to the ring is not enough to keep me
      up till five in the morning! :-)

      Not much going on today. Back later.

      Pre order the 3 disc set of WrestleMania 21 DVD now
      Log on to http://www.wrestlingmegastore.com

      > BACKLASH ON PAY-PER-VIEW TONIGHT
      - Live from Manchester, NE., the RAW brand tonight presents Backlash.
      Six matches have been confirmed for the show. These are Batista vs
      Triple H for the World Heavyweight Title; Shelton Benjamin vs Chris
      Jericho for the Intercontinental title; Edge vs Chris Benoit in a Last
      Man Standing match; Regal & Tajiri vs Hurricane & Rosey vs La Resistance
      vs Heart Throbs vs Simon Dean & Maven for the World Tag Team titles;
      Kane vs Viscera; and probably the most anticipated match of the show
      Hulk Hogan & Shawn Michaels vs Daivari & Mohammed Hassan.

      > PLANS FOR THE ECW PAY-PER-VIEW
      - Dave Scherer of PWInsider.com is reporting that for the ECW
      pay-per-view, WWE will give no on-air angles or anything like that
      leading up to the event on June 12th. The show will be 'raised from the
      dead' so to speak as little promotion on TV is expected so the PPV feels
      just like a true, ECW event away from the WWE brand. As far as
      production goes, there will be no fancy lights and fireworks like you
      see every week on RAW and Smackdown! but they will be going back to
      basics and produce the same kind of shows that ECW had before it went
      out of business. If the PPV is a successful as the 'Rise and Fall of
      ECW' DVD, this one would be one of the best PPVs buy-rate wise for WWE.
      Not a lot of gate money is expected from the show as the building won't
      top 3,000 seats but a lot of money could be generated from PPV buys and
      the DVD release.

      > LESNAR TRIES HIS LUCK AGAIN
      - Former WWE champion Brock Lesnar is making the news again with his
      dream of being in the NFL. In an interview with the Denver Post, Lesnar
      said that he's going to try a shot as an offensive linesman instead of a
      defensive linesman, a position which he tried during training camp with
      the Minnesota Vikings last year. Lesnar is back home in Minnesota
      training for his second shot at NFL stardom. "I'm training very hard and
      I want to be an NFL player. Hopefully I'll get that chance," he said.
      Meanwhile Lesnar is engaged in a lawsuit with WWE as he's trying to get
      out of his no compete clause which he signed when he asked for his
      release from WWE. The 27 year old is in for a tough fight as WWE beefed
      up their attorneys team and are now being headed by longtime company
      attorney Jerry McDevitt and Mark Feczko, two sharks from the Kirkpatrick
      & Lockhart Nicholson Graham LLP company.

      //->> KNIVES OUT
      Ian Hamilton -[ian.hamilton@...]-

      You know, when you've been following wrestling for any length of time,
      there's some things you start getting "immune" to. Sure, you notice
      them, but they don't seem to have any effect on you. You can put up with
      nonsensical booking decisions, and the stupid errors in storylines.
      You'll probably have been able to shrug things off when another name is
      added to the long line of wrestlers who have died early. And then,
      there'll be some wrestlers whose deaths will really knock you for six.

      The death of Chris Candido last week has been a complete shock to all of
      us. The timing of his passing was completely surreal - only days after
      reading about how "Chris Candido breaks his leg during TNA PPV", the
      headline "Candido passes away" was screaming out at me. It'll be a few
      weeks before I get to see the Lockdown PPV and the subsequent episode of
      Impact in the UK, but it's doubtful by then, the shockwaves of Candido's
      death will have lessened.

      If there is such a thing, it's a "good" thing that Candido's death
      wasn't caused by steroid use, or his personal demons, as it prevents the
      mainstream media from giving wrestling another black eye.

      There is no denying though, that the story of Chris Candido has ended in
      tragedy. Since making his pro debut in 1986, at the age of 14, he seems
      to have been everywhere in the wrestling world: SMW, WWF, ECW, WCW and
      TNA - and that's before you even consider his career on the indies.
      Candido was one of those guys who's been around for so long, it was hard
      to believe that he was only 33 when he died.

      What makes it even more remarkable, is that he was having a "second
      wind" in his career, once he'd gotten clean after those personal demons
      had threatened to kill his wrestling career. Candido was on the up,
      before a freak injury looked like it was going to slow down his
      comeback. Sadly, that injury has now cost him his life.

      Many of Candido's colleagues, past and present, have paid their own
      tributes - but perhaps Steve Corino put it best: "To those that knew
      Chris
      if there would have been a story about him dying two years ago I don't
      think there would have been anyone that would have been shocked. But the
      Chris Candido of 2005 got his life together and was making such an
      amazing comeback that it just doesn't seem fair that his life was taken
      like this."

      Like most of you, I'm sure, my thoughts are with the friends and family
      of Chris; but more specifically on two people: Tammy Sytch and Sonny
      Siaki. To say that Tammy has been through the mill in recent years is an
      understatement, and I can only pray that the loss of her devoted husband
      doesn't trigger the host of problems that she's only just come through.

      As for Siaki - well, God knows what the guy is thinking. Eighteen months
      ago, a botched move in a match on an independent card in Helskini,
      Finland almost cost Alan Funk his life - and although Funk has gotten
      his life and career back on track, Siaki will still be feeling pretty
      rotten (to say the least).

      Rest In Peace, Chris, you were taken from us way too soon.

      � Copyright 1996-2005 Wrestling-Online.com