119[wrestling-online] Wrestling-Online Newsletter #171

    Sep 1, 1998
      requests for unsubscribing, and e-mail change sent to the editor, will
      be completely IGNORED, so don't expect a reply.*

      .______________________________.
      | Tuesday, September 1st, 1998 | W R E S T L I N G O N L I N E
      | | N E W S L E T T E R # 1 7 1
      | *Issue #171* |
      | | Wrestling-Online.com's Official Newsletter
      | Editor@... | Editor: Colin Vassallo
      |______________________________|
      | |
      | Total Subscribers: 4,777 | HTTP://WWW.WRESTLING-ONLINE.COM
      |______________________________|

      TODAY'S TOP STORY: UNOPPOSED NITRO GETS A HIGH RATING....SNH DISAPPOINTS

      Contents:

      1 i - Opening Words From The Editor
      ii - Today's Top Story

      2- World Wrestling Federation
      i - News & Rumors

      3- World Championship Wrestling
      i - News & Rumors
      ii - Nitro Report

      4- Columns
      i - Clear The Mic

      5- Subscription Information
      i - Subscribe/Unsubscribe
      ii - E-mail Change

      1 OPENING WORDS FROM THE EDITOR
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      By Colin Vassallo
      E-mail: Editor@...

      Hey hey! I included the ratings in this issue...there was no need to
      send a "Late Breaking News" edition, since Nitro was unopposed. You can
      find everything in the TOP STORY section.

      I want to thank everyone who joined in last Sunday for the SummerSlam
      coverage on our chatroom. I guess we broke record for over 200 users.
      Although the channel was taken over - nWo style - right before the PPV,
      our friends IRC operators did their job by banning the idiots and give
      us back the access. You can rest assure that for the next PPVs,
      Wrestling-Online, The Bagpipe Report, Hardcore Wrestling Newsletter and
      WrestleBoard! will team again to bring you the best play-by-play on the
      internet.

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

      TODAY'S TOP STORY
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      By Colin Vassallo
      E-mail: Editor@...

      An unopposed Nitro got a high rating, 5.1 in the first hour, 6.6 in the
      second, and 6.4 in the third and final hour. The composite for the 3
      hour show was 6.0.

      RAW was pre-empted due to the US Open Tennis Tournament. Although not
      aired, RAW did their normal taping yesterday, which will be shown this
      Saturday, and tonight, there will be another RAW taping, which will be
      aired on the next Saturday. RAW has been pre-empted for 2 weeks.

      In the meantime, Sunday Night Heat disappointed, only getting a 3.2. The
      show was hyped big time, due to the fact that it was live, from Madison
      Square Garden, and only 1 hour before SummerSlam.

      ==============
      ADVERTISEMENT:
      As you may know, the phenomenal hit Titanic is scheduled for video
      release on September 1st for $29.95 SRP -- we will be taking pre-orders
      starting June 11, 1998 at the unbelievably low price of $9.99! To
      order, go to http://www.reel.com/cgi-bin/session/WRON/sale/sale.html
      ==============

      ____ __ ______
      2 \ \ \ / \ / ____/
      \ \ \/ /\ \/ /___ WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION
      \ \ / \ / __/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      \ \/ /\ \/ /
      \__/ \__/

      NEWS & RUMORS
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Wrestling-Online NewsStation
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/wwwboard.html

      - The woman in the ring who flashed the crowd and french kissed Abu in
      yesterday's RAW Tapings, was a stripper from Connecticut.

      - Rumor is that Stone Cold Steve Austin broke Regis' nose on his show
      yesterday. (Chatterbox)

      - Order WWF "Breakdown": In Your House and get a FREE gift. Merchandise
      includes T-shirts, hats, posters, CDs and more for our special GIFT GRAB
      BAG (Retail value of individual items: $5-$25 ... Selected gifts may
      vary). Simply send a copy of your cable or satellite bill indicating the
      pruchase of "Breakdown": In Your House to:

      WWF "Breakdown": In Your House Offer
      P.O. Box 5488
      Rockville Center, NY 11571-5488

      Requests must be received by November 30, 1998. One request per
      household while supplies last. (WWF Magazine)

      - The following are RAW, Shotgun, and SNH reports...SKIP them if you
      don't want to know what happened!

      Credit: Joe De Leon

      A few quick begining notes:

      -The steel security railing looks to a be a thing of the past in the
      WWF; ust as at SummerSlam, there was a low-black wall around ringside.

      -No Triple H, No Mankind, No Sable, No Owen Hart.
      ——————————
      SHOTGUN SATURDAY NIGHT -- AIR-DATE: September 5, 1998 [Syndicated]
      -Jim Ross interviewed Bart Gunn, who comes to the ring to the Brawl for
      All music. He also gets a pair of goofy looking oversize boxing gloves
      as a trophy. Gunn says it's time for Vince to take notice of him, and
      also issues an open challenge to anyone for a Brawl for All match.

      -Dustin Runnels defeated Lance Diamond with a Bulldog.

      -Dan Severn defeated a Jobber by Submission.

      -Teioh and Sho Funka (w/Kaientai) defeated Jimmer Cireco and Julio
      Sanchez, with a
      Double-Team DDT on Sanchez.
      ——————————
      WWF RAW IS WAR - AIR-DATE: September 5, 1998 at 11:00pm EST
      -Tag Title Match: Rocky Maivia and Mark Henry defeated The New Age
      Outlaws by DQ, after
      Chyna ran in and beat up Henry, until The Outlaws pulled her off.

      -Southern Justice defeated The Headbangers, with the Reversed DDT.

      -The Raw opening was then taped. The end of the Stone Cold Steve Austin
      vs. Summerslam
      SummerSlam match was shown on the Titan Tron, followed by the theme
      music and fireworks.
      Vince McMahon kicked off the show, making his way to the ring. Vince
      says he's in a great mood, and a plan will unfold, guaranteeing Austin
      will lose the title at In Your House: Breakdown. He then bad-mouths
      Undertaker for sending Kane back to the locker room at SummerSlam. Says
      Kane and UT could be the most destructive force in WWF history, but
      instead they've become a couple of "putrid pu$$***." Undertaker and Kane
      come out to attack Vinnie Mac who escapes through the crowd.

      -The Disciples of Apocalypse (w/Paul Ellering) and the team of Ken
      Shamrock and Blackman went to a No Contest, when Kane and The Undertaker
      came to the ring. DOA and Shamrock clear out of their way. Blackman spin
      kicks at Kane but misses and is chokeslammed. DOA beat down Shamrock on
      the floor as UT works over Blackman's leg, then applies a leg ace.
      Blackman is stretchered out.

      -Val Venis and Vader went to a No Contest, when Bradshaw, followed by
      Kane and UT came to the ring. During this one, Dustin walked through the
      crowd with the "He is coming back" sign. Bradshaw and Vader had a
      staredown, but when Kane and UT arrived, Bradshaw took off, while Val
      wass chokeslammed, and Vader is double chokeslammed.

      -Tiger Ali Singh (w/Abu) comes to the ring, and says he's already proven
      his point about
      Americans. Then he sees that Abu is eating a can of sardines, and
      mentions that that's all he's been eating for days, and hasn't brushed
      his teeth. That gives him an idea, and he offers $500 to any woman who
      will French kiss Abu for five seconds. Abu chooses and attractive woman,
      and Singh ups it to $600. She kisses him, Singh kept pausing in his
      count to five to tell the crowd to quiet down so he can concentrate, but
      even when he finally reached 5, she didn't break the kiss right away.
      Crowd then wants her to flash them, and she does, then does the same
      four or five more times until an official ushers her out of the ring. UT
      and Kane then came out, Singh tosses Abu to the wolves, but he can't get
      away in time, both are chokeslammed.

      -European Title Match: X-Pac defeated D-Lo Brown bt DQ when Jeff Jarrett
      ran in and attacked X-Pac. Jarrett and X-Pac brawl through the crowd as
      UT and Kane come to the ring. The Rock comes to the aid of D-Lo, but
      D-Lo grabbed his belt and took off, leaving Maivia to be chokeslammed.

      -Edge over Marc Mero (w/Jacqueline) by DQ, when Gangrel ran in and
      attacked Edge. As they fight in the ring, Mero and Jacky leave, and Mero
      is attacked by UT and Kane on the stage.

      -The Oddities (w/Luna and Insane Clown Posse) over LOD 200 and Darren
      Drozdov, when Giant Silva pinned Hawk with a powerbomb. During the
      Oddities pre-match song and dance routine, Hawk came out and drunkenly
      joins in. Later he beats up on ICP for no apparant reason.

      -Too Much over Miguel Perez and Jesus Castillo. The Boricuas hit a
      double powerbomb on
      Taylor, but as Miguel makes the cover, the referee put Castillo out of
      the ring. Christopher comes off the top with the Tennesse Jam to the
      back of Miguel's head, then rolls Taylor on top of him to get the
      pinfall.

      -Jeff Jarrett over Scorpio by DQ when X-Pac ran in and attacked him.
      Jarrett came out to the Southern Justice music, with new short silver
      tights to go along with his new haircut, and no fireworks. After X-Pac
      and Jarrett brawl away from the ring, UT and Kane come down and spike
      tombstone Scorpio. Vince watches this from the stage smiling, until Kane
      and UT see him and go up after him, but he has plenty of time to make
      his escape.
      ——————————
      WWF SUNDAY NIGHT HEAT -- AIR-DATE: September 6, 1998 at 7:00pm EST
      -Bradshaw defeated Ken Shamrock by DQ, when Vader interfered.

      -Edge defeated Taka Michinoku (w/Yamaguchi San) with the Downward Spiral
      in a non-title
      match.

      -The Heat opening was then taped.

      -Kane and The Undertaker over Animal and Darren Drozdov when Animal taps
      out to UT's leg
      lace. Hawk comes down to ringside and is chokeslammed by Kane. Animal is
      stretchered out.

      -Jesse James (w/Billy Gunn) defeated Dennis Knight (w/Mark Canterbury)
      by DQ, when
      interfered. X-Pac ran in and the six men brawl.

      -Kane and The Undertaker dragged Pat Patterson and Gerald Brisco to the
      ring. UT gives
      McMahon ten seconds to come out or see his flunkies destroyed. Vince
      doesn't come out,
      Patterson and Brisco are chokeslammed.

      -D-Lo Brown defeated Val Venis with a German suplex after sending Val
      into an exposed
      turnbuckle in a non-title match. D-Lo did a moonsault off the black
      security wall during the match. After the match, Val powerbombed D-Lo,
      took the chest protector, put it on, delivered the money shot.

      -Gangrel defeated Togo (w/Yamiguchi San) with the Spike DDT.

      -Vince came to the ring and called out Kane and The Undertaker. When
      they came out, he
      apologized for his comments, then said they truly were the most
      destructive force in WWF history, and both of them deserved a title
      shot. He then called Austin out, and informed him that at Breakdown,
      he'd be defending against UT and Kane in a Triple Threat Match. Austin
      left the ring, then Kane and UT did as well, Austin then rolled back in
      the ring and stunnered Vince.

      =============
      THE WRESTLING-ONLINE.COM SHOPZONE! GET YOUR MERCHANDISE FROM HERE!
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/shopzone/
      =============

      __ __ ___ __ __
      3 \ \ /\ / // __\\ \ /\ / /
      \ \/ // /| | \ \/ // / WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING
      \ // / | |___ \ // / ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      \/ \/ \___/ \/ \/

      NEWS & RUMORS
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Wrestling-Online NewsStation
      http://www.wrestling-online.com/wwwboard.html

      - Terry Taylor wasn't at Nitro for booking duties.

      - Mike Tenay reports on his latest WCW Hotline message that "The
      Canadian Crippler" Chris Benoit will back later this month. The mat
      technician's injured elbow is reportedly healing at a faster rate than
      expected. However, it is likely Benoit (and WCW) will not risk bringing
      "The Crippler" back to the ring too soon, although a return to the mic
      (perhaps with the "new" Four Horsemen) is being planned for September,
      according to Tenay. Of course, Benoit has been the subject of much
      internet controversy as of late, with numerous reports on Benoit's
      future in WCW -- none of them at all optimistic. However, WCW officials
      have a way of placating disgruntled talent, and most informed sources
      feel (especially with the imminent return of Ric Flair) there is a very
      high probability that the ultra -talented "Crippler" will stay put in
      WCW and the Four Horsemen. (WiseGuy)

      - WCW was going to have the Hall vs. Nash match at Halloween Havoc, but
      now the plan is to have Nash win at Wargames and face Goldberg at HH
      therefore he cannot fight Hall then. The feud has been shut down for a
      while, but they will finally fight each other at Starrcade '98! (Zach
      Williams)

      - I'd expect the Nash/Hall feud to pick up after Wargames. If Nash wins
      at Fall Brawl, he and Hall should have some confrontations on the
      following Nitros, and when Nash & Goldberg fight at Halloween Havoc,
      Scott Hall will interfere and cost Nash the match thus, everyone will be
      happy. Nash will not have jobbed to Goldberg cleanly, and Goldberg keeps
      his winning streak alive. (WiseGuy)

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

      NITRO REPORT
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
      By Joe De Leon

      Hosted by Tony Schiavone, Larry Zbyszko, Mike Tenay, and Bobby Heenan
      Live from Miami, Florida

      • Hollywood Hogan Interview - (With Eric Bischoff)
      -Eric Bischoff pulled out his pen - the only object that made him so
      "powerful." He promised Eddie Guerrero would wrestle later in the show,
      and The Warrior wouldn't. Hollywood Hogan announced his partners for War
      Games would be Bret Hart and Stevie Ray. Hogan then bragged, saying
      NWO-Hollywood would win War Games, and continued to taunt The Warrior
      and Goldberg. He then, surprisingly, called out The Warrior, with
      Warrior almost immediately making his way down to the ring. Other
      NWO-Hollywood members surrounded the ring, trapping The Warrior. Just as
      quickly as Warrior appeared, he disappeared in the smoke that lit up the
      ring.

      • The commentators announced the main event bout would be Hollywood
      Hogan and Bret Hart vs. Sting and Lex Luger. ... Highlights were shown
      of Goldberg hanging out with Mark McGuire in St. Louis, Missouri.

      • Wrath defeated Jim Powers with the Meltdown.
      -Wrath looked very impressive, and dominated Jim Powers. After Powers
      was showing signs of a knee injury, Wrath took advantage, and finished
      off the match with the Meltdown.

      • Gene Okerlund, The Nitro Girls, and Jim Duggan were all in Wapakoneta,
      Ohio - home of the Niel Armstrong Space Museum - celebrating a Nitro
      Party. WCW checked back with Okerlund frequently throughout the show.

      • Scott Norton (w/Vincent) defeated Norman Smiley with the Jack-Knife
      Powerbomb.
      -Scott Norton dominated Norman Smiley, and continued to pound on him,
      even though he could of had two successful pins. After two Jack-Kinfe
      Powerbombs, Norton took an easy victory. Following the match, the lights
      went off, and The Warrior appeared.

      • In some pre-recorded, backstage comments, Mike Tenay attempted to
      catch a few words from Saturn, who was carrying Lodi's luggage. Saturn
      says he is a man of his word, and he will continue to be Lodi's
      temporary slave. Lodi told Saturn to hurry up with his things.

      • Wolfpac Interview.
      -The Wolfpac did the interview without Sting. Lex Luger said Sting was
      on his way to the arena, and that they are looking forward to their main
      event match with Hollywood Hogan and Bret Hart. Kevin Nash said The
      Wolfpac drew straws, and the three members for War Games would be he,
      Sting, and Lex Luger. Nash then taunted Team-WCW members that would be
      participating in War Games.

      • J.J. Dillion Interview - (With Tony Schiavone)
      -J.J. Dillion called out Arn Anderson, and Anderson made his way down to
      the ring. Dillion told Anderson he came across some old footage, and it
      was aired on the monitor. The video saw Anderson in his younger years,
      cutting a promo. Dillion tried to convince Anderson he was the key to
      re-forming The Four Horsemen. Chris Benoit and Steve McMichael appeared,
      and had a private, but yet seemingly arguably talk with Anderson. As
      Anderson put everything to rest, and decided to leave the ring, Dillion
      held him back, and said that he thought Anderson was afraid of
      re-forming The Four Horsemen. Anderson made his way back to the locker
      room. Throughout the interview, "We Want Flair" chants
      were chanted loudly throughout the arena.

      • Brian Adams (w/Vincent) defeated Eddie Guerrero via Pinfall.
      -Before the match, The Warrior was shown at the top of the arena. Eddie
      Guerrero didn't even attempt to wrestle the match, and layed on the
      floor in a pinning position. Brian Adams put his foot on top on
      Guerrero, and made an easy pin. Afterwards, Guerrero said he wouldn't
      let Eric Bischoff sue him, and then began to curse, with the words being
      blocked out.

      • Ernest Miller defeated Riggs with the Spinning Wheel Kick.
      -Ernest Miller dominated Riggs with his karate tactics, and finished him
      off with the Spinning Wheel Kick. Aftewards, Miller said for the fans
      not to hate him because he's beautiful. Miller said no one in WCW can
      stop him since he is a three-time karate champion.

      • Konnan defeated Marty Jannetty by making him submit to the Tequilla
      Sunrise.
      -Marty Jannetty put up a long fight for Konnan. As Jannetty continued
      with the overall advantage, Konnan caught him with a Front Face Slam.
      Konnan then strapped the Tequilla Sunrise to take the victory.

      • Saturn and Lodi defeated High Voltage with Saturn's Death Valley
      Driver.
      -It seemed Kanyon was officially part of The Flock. Before the match,
      Lodi was told to instruct Saturn not to touch Raven or Kanyon. Kanyon
      got up to Saturn's face, and dared Saturn to hit him. Saturn clenched
      his first, wanting to take a shot at Kanyon, but wouldn't. After Saturn
      hit Rage with the Death Valley Driver, he was forced to tag in Lodi.
      Lodi made the pin, and took all the credit.

      • Diamond Dallas Page Interiew - (With Tony Schiavone)
      -Diamond Dallas Page discussed War Games, and brought out WCW
      Commissioner, Roddy Piper.
      Piper insulted Bret Hart, and said that Hart was making the wrong choice
      siding-off NWO-Hollywood. The Giant ran-in, but two superstars wasn't
      enough to put the big man down. Security made their way to the ring, and
      handcuffed The Giant.

      • Scott Steiner Interview - (With Doc)
      -Scott Steiner said he had a panel of doctors to prove he wasn't 100%
      ready for his Fall Brawl match with Rick Steiner. Steiner introduced Dr.
      JuJu Yubangie (Buff Bagwell), who was a Jamaican voodoo doctor. Bagwell
      said he could use magic powder to heal Steiner. Steiner's left arm was
      supposedly healed, after Bagwell used the magic powder. Scott Steiner
      guaranteed his brother would go down at Fall Brawl. Rick Steiner popped
      up from behind, with the NWO-Hollywood members taking off. Afterwards,
      The Warrior appeared at the top of the arena.

      • Juventud Guerrera defeated Evan Kourageous with the Juvi Driver, to
      retain the WCW Cruiserweight Title.
      -Evan Kourageous had many chances to make a pin, but failed to do so.
      After the Juvi Driver, Juventud Guerrera retained the Cruiserweight
      Title.

      • Chris Jericho defeated Disco Inferno by making him submit to the Lion
      Tamer, to retain the WCW Television Title.
      -A very physical match, but Disco Inferno couldn't take the Lion Tamer.
      Chris Jericho retained his Television Title.

      • Goldberg defeated Al Greene with the Jackhammer, to retian the WCW
      Heavyweight Title.
      -Kevin Nash did color commentary during this match, and took Mike
      Tenay's position. Nash showed his respect for Goldberg, and had no
      negative comments regarding the Heavyweight Champion. After the spear,
      Goldberg retained his Heavyweight Title with the Jackhammer.

      • Sting and Lex Luger defeated Hollywood Hogan and Bret Hart (w/The
      Disciple) by Countout.
      -After Hollywood Hogan began to use his belt on Sting, Hart took the
      belt away, and left the ring. As Hogan and Hart argued on the outside of
      the ring, they were counted out, giving Sting and Lex Luger the victory.
      Hogan, Hart, and The Disciple entered the ring. Other NWO-Hollywood
      members came down to break up the argument. The ring lit up with smoke,
      and The Warrior appeared, with NWO-Hollywood members knocked out on the
      floor. Hogan was hiding in the corner, and as soon as The Warrior
      taunted him, Hogan headed back to the locker room area.

      4 COLUMNS
      ^^^^^^^

      CLEAR THE MIC
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      By GR Tower
      E-mail: TowerGR@...

      Hello fans! I've been missing in action for a couple weeks, but rest
      assured I'm alive and well. I had lots of things to accomplish before
      the summer ended, and I was really strained for time. I apologize to all
      of you for that. Last time I wrote, I speculated that Hogan may not have
      an ego as big as we all may think. I pointed out the number of stars
      Hogan has put over. Boy did I get a lot of responses! I thank you all
      for your feedback! Most of the messages agreed with my point of view and
      some even thanked me
      for bringing it to their attention. This week, I write about the danger
      facing the World Wrestling Federation.

      We can argue for days about who produces the better product, WWF or WCW.
      But that's not important here. What is important is the fact that once
      Nitro was pre-empted for the NBA Playoffs, wrestling fans tuned in to
      RAW, and for the most part stayed tuned in to RAW even when Nitro
      returned. After more than a year of losing the ratings, Vince and the
      WWF were on top again. Recent weeks have seen Nitro edge out a ratings
      win, with the help of the Warrior. Now, because of the U.S. Open, Nitro
      could again become dominant.

      Certainly there are fans who are devoted, die-hard to one organization.
      Regardless of what happens on the other channel, these fans will not
      switch. But these fans are few compared to the millions that tune in
      each week. Most of us will watch what is on. So, if we enjoy RAW more
      than Nitro, but RAW isn't on, we'll watch Nitro. This is exactly what
      happened during the NBA Playoffs. The wrestling fans watched RAW, and
      got hooked on
      the angles and storylines. What happens if they now get hooked on WCW's
      angles and storylines? How will Vince fight back? To be honest, I think
      the August 17th debut of the Warrior was timed perfectly! Bring him out
      for the two weeks you go head to head with RAW. Get fans to switch
      channels and watch the Warrior. That's what happened. Now, you've got
      Nitro unopposed for two weeks, including the Monday following a major
      WWF pay-per-view. Bischoff timed this just right, and has a golden
      opportunity.

      I'm not saying he should lay out all his cards in these two weeks, but
      do put in
      that extra effort to produce an exciting, intense broadcast that will
      keep the fans watching. Don't bore us in these two weeks, Eric. You've
      got the chance to reclaim that top spot and hold it, perhaps another
      year. How thirsty are we for Stone Cold Steve Austin? How much do we
      want to see the Undertaker and Kane? Can we wait two weeks? Or will our
      thirst be adequately quenched by Nitro? I guess we'll know when RAW and
      Nitro go head-to-head again.

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

      E-MAIL CHANGE
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      If you are changing e-mails, first Unsubscribe your current e-mail
      address, then subscribe again with your new e-mail.

      NOTE: ALL requests for unsubscribing, subscribing and e-mail change sent
      to the editor, will be completely IGNORED. The mailing list manager we
      use is automatic and it will subscibe/unsubscribe you in a matter of
      seconds. An e-mail to confirm your request will be sent to you
      immidiatley after you completed your request.

      The editor can be reached at Editor@...

      Copyright 1996-1998 Wrestling-Online