I have a question

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2008
      Hello,

      I was just wondering what the rules were if no one responds to a beta
      request. I posted mine almost 2 weeks ago and no one has responded. I
      don't know if it's me, my subject or what, as of course no one is
      talking to me. Do I just continue to wait or do I repost my request?

      I'm getting a bit paranoid here as I have also requested beta work on 2
      other sites and have had no one respond.The requests both before and
      after my posts had takers. If I've somehow done something wrong I would
      really like to know as I can't think of anything and I haven't posted
      nasty comments or anything anywhere so I don't think I'm being shunned
      or whatever it is called........
    • Alyse
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2008
        There aren't any rules about that. Unless you mean, can you still
        post at Wraithbait even if no one responds here to your request for a
        beta?

        The answer is, yes, of course you can. It's not a requirement that
        you use this site to find a beta reader - this is a resource to help
        you find a beta before you post and thereby reduce the chances of your
        story not meeting the minimum required standards of the archive,
        that's all. In fact, even if you do use this list to find a beta,
        there's nothing to say that you have to post the finished product to
        Wraithbait :)

        The only thing to bear in mind is that if you can't find a beta
        reader, and your story doesn't meet the minimum required standards for
        Wraithbait, then the story will more than likely be rejected.

        And finally, I'd agree with you that I don't think there's any
        shunning going on. Apart from anything else, this is a very large
        fandom and you'd have had to have done something spectacular for
        people to connect this request to it :) While this list is there to
        help you connect with potential beta readers, no one is required to
        offer their time. Perhaps people are just busy, don't think that they
        are able to give you the help that you need, don't read the pairings
        that you write, don't know what help you *do* need because you weren't
        specific or meant to offer and real life got in the way. There are,
        however, some things you can do to improve your chances to find a beta
        reader, which you might wish to bear in mind if you've also tried
        elsewhere and had no luck. I have no recollection of your original
        request, by the way, so these are generic points for anyone requesting
        a beta rather than anything about your request:

        - be clear about what you need, for example, "I think I've got a good
        grasp of the basics but I need some help to make sure that my
        characterisation is right." Betas have different strengths, and you
        may find that someone who, perhaps, is good at spotting plot holes or
        commenting on characterisation but who may struggle with the correct
        way to punctuate dialogue might then be willing to volunteer.

        - make sure that you proof read and spell check your request for a
        beta reader. If you don't, and your request is liberally sprinkled
        with errors, there's a good chance that anyone who was considering
        offering may decide that, actually, you will need a considerable
        amount of help and they don't have the time to assist you

        - be polite. No one is obligated to help you and the more reasonably
        you phrase your request, the more likely someone else will be inclined
        to help you. You need to be able to work with your beta reader, and
        if you come across as rude or demanding, even though you don't intend
        to, then it's less likely that someone will take the risk of working
        with you.

        If you still can't find a beta reader, then maybe trying again a
        couple of weeks later might help, or spreading your request across
        other forums, for example those dedicated to pairings you like, might
        have some results.

        --
        love and Thorntons' chocolates

        Al

        unconsciousmind - www.unconsciousmind.co.uk
      • MJ Heider
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2008
          You may have also hit a 'dry' spell where many of the folk who normally volunteer are busy elsewhere.... drat that RL and all...

          In the US, it's the end of the academic year for college and k-12 so anyone in any of those areas is busy with the day job of studying.... And I know there are a couple of larger projects going on... "SGA Big Bang" is firmly in writing throes -- which has sucked the life out of a number of folk, I suspect....

          We're also between SGA seasons and while there is lots of lovely new fic out there regularly, some folk take downtime between seasons.... and for those of us in the northern hemisphere, it's (finally) going on summer which increases the number of folk on vacations......

          So, lots of reasons for no responses, none of which related to your ask or your story...... just life..... like Alyse recommended, put your request out there again and make a (polite) note that this is a second request for help... can't hurt.....

          Hugs, and good luck!

          --MJ

          Message 4 of 4 , May 18, 2008
            By all means, post again. If you don't need something large beta'd, I can actually take on a project now. I have fallen into that RL catagory, but things have worked-out to where I have the time to work on something I enjoy. And beta-reading doesn't cost anything, so no extra gas. LOL

            Zafra