Re: Quick research question

  • kaspden78
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
      Weir doesn't have the gene, because in one episode, I'm pretty sure
      she said she would have to basically be a neutral party incase
      something happened to those with the gene.
      Hope it helps :)

      --- In wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com, "Laura Hackett"
      <laura_hackett@...> wrote:

      > Markham had it. I believe it was natural, but I couldn't say for
      sure. I
      > just know that he was a marine, but ended up flying the jumpers
      quite often
      > because there weren't enough people to operate them.
      >
      > Not sure about Cadman. Lorne's got it, but I'm not sure how.
      Ford, Weir

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
        First of all, thank you to everyone who took time to answer my
        question!

        Second, I did get a few differing answers, so I thought I'd toss
        them out there and see what ya'll make of it.

        Definitely has the gene:
        Lorne
        Markham

        Definitely doesn't have the gene:
        Weir

        Might have the gene:
        Ford
        Cadman
        Stackhouse

        Poor Miko wasn't even mentioned, but then I went back to check and
        realized that I forgot to put her on the list:)

        The comments I received for the might have's, include that Ford
        piloted jumpers early in season one (but also that he definitely
        didn't have the gene), Stackhouse is a common fanon carrier, and
        Cadman is so cool that she could have the gene even though canon
        hasn't told us so. And, as I recall, Miko was only in a single
        episode of canon, and then only to gush over Rodney (which,
        unfortunately, doesn't tell us much about her ATA status).

        Honestly, of the four (Ford, Cadman, Stackhouse, and Miko), my story
        can only support 1-2 of them being a carrier. Which do ya'll think
        are the most likely suspects?

        Thanks again!
        Jane
      • Anthony Docimo
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
          hi

          >From: "jannet_elliot" <janethunder@...>
          >To: wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [wraithbeta] Re: Quick research question
          >Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:37:35 -0000
          >
          >First of all, thank you to everyone who took time to answer my
          >question!

          you're welcome.

          >Second, I did get a few differing answers, so I thought I'd toss
          >them out there and see what ya'll make of it.

          >Might have the gene:
          >Ford
          >Cadman
          >Stackhouse
          >
          >Poor Miko wasn't even mentioned, but then I went back to check and
          >realized that I forgot to put her on the list:)
          >
          >The comments I received for the might have's, include that Ford
          >piloted jumpers early in season one (but also that he definitely
          >didn't have the gene), Stackhouse is a common fanon carrier, and
          >Cadman is so cool that she could have the gene even though canon
          >hasn't told us so. And, as I recall, Miko was only in a single
          >episode of canon, and then only to gush over Rodney (which,
          >unfortunately, doesn't tell us much about her ATA status).

          she was in more than one ep, I'm pretty sure.

          and that's even if you don't think "Miko" and "Dr Kusanagi" are the same
          person.

          >Honestly, of the four (Ford, Cadman, Stackhouse, and Miko), my story
          >can only support 1-2 of them being a carrier. Which do ya'll think
          >are the most likely suspects?

          Ford's been known to pilot puddlejumpers.

          Miko might have the gene.

          Experience the magic of the holidays. Talk to Santa on Messenger.
          http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/santabot/default.aspx?locale=en-us
        • entsg1efc2002
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
            Hi Jane,

            Ok, thought I'd clear up a few things I read in the previous posts.

            The episode where we learn about Teyla's Wraith DNA is indeed "The
            Gift", last ep of season 1 before the 3 part Seige eps. And the
            explaination gave about her ancestor's being injected with Wraith DNA
            is correct.

            Of the people on your list:

            Ford - no, only seen in a co-pilot seat in a jumper in the "premier"
            flying with Sheppard, in "Defiante One" flying with Markham, and in
            "Storm/Eye" flying with Carson. However when he got Wraithified he
            did escape in a Jumper and that was never explained because the Wraith
            can't fly them and was a WHOLE mess in fanfic circles.

            Cadman - never said either way, but I like her so I'd give it to her
            if you like. :)

            Lorne - Yes, he's been flying Jumpers ever since he arrived on the
            Daedalus, but not known if it's natural, could have had the gene
            therapy at the SGC like alot of Everett's strike force did.

            Stackhouse = never mentioned in canon. He was usually partnered with
            Markham who DOES have it, but again same with Ford he was always in
            the co-pilot seat as seen in "38 Minutes".

            Markham - as mentioned above, YES does have it and is natural, one of
            the few they brought with them but always seemed nervous when he used
            it, especially flying Jumpers, maybe he should have stayed away from
            them since that's how he died. :(

            Weir - definately does NOT have it. Koyla asked her in Storm and she
            said no, and as said before, with Sheppard having it and being her
            2nd, she would need to remain nutral if something ever happened to the
            people with it.

            And Miko was supposed to be on the list. It is assumed that Miko IS
            Dr. Kusanagi who is mention in many episode as having the gene and
            being on of Carson and Rodney favorite lab rats for chair testing.

            So for your fic, it would be fun if the girls were the ones who had
            it. So give it to Cadman and Miko. :)

            Hope this helps,
            Laheara
          • jannet_elliot
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
              > Hope this helps,
              > Laheara

              Very much so, thanks!

              Jane
            • with_an_apostrophe
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 28, 2006
                Regarding Ford and the jumper, Martin Wood (or Martin Gero) explains
                this in one of the commentaries.

                Ford can use the co-pilot's controls, which are standard push button
                controls that anyone could use.

                Anyone can launch a jumper from Atlantis, as exiting the jumper bay,
                descending to the Gate Room and shooting forward through the Gate are
                automated systems that a non ATA carrier can activatefrom the co-
                pilot's seat.

                Ford, or anyone else without the gene, would not be able to move a
                jumper an inch if it were landed on an ordinary planet - as the
                automatic launch systems tie in with Atlantis' systems.

                And just to clarify - Ford definitely doesn't have the gene - see 'Hot
                Zone'.

                In fanon, Miko and Dr Kusanagi (mentioned by Rodney and Radek in one
                of 'The Sieges') are one and the same person as mentioned before. It's
                a nice idea - it means we have a complete person - first name, last
                name, face and even a personality!