RE: [wraithbeta] Quick research question

  • Laura Hackett
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
      Markham had it.  I believe it was natural, but I couldn't say for sure.  I just know that he was a marine, but ended up flying the jumpers quite often because there weren't enough people to operate them.

      Not sure about Cadman.  Lorne's got it, but I'm not sure how.  Ford, Weir and Stackhouse don't have it.

      Hope this helps.

      Laura.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
        Weir doesn't have the gene, because in one episode, I'm pretty sure
        she said she would have to basically be a neutral party incase
        something happened to those with the gene.
        Hope it helps :)

        --- In wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com, "Laura Hackett"
        <laura_hackett@...> wrote:

        > Markham had it. I believe it was natural, but I couldn't say for
        sure. I
        > just know that he was a marine, but ended up flying the jumpers
        quite often
        > because there weren't enough people to operate them.
        >
        > Not sure about Cadman. Lorne's got it, but I'm not sure how.
        Ford, Weir
        > and Stackhouse don't have it.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Laura.

      • jannet_elliot
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
          First of all, thank you to everyone who took time to answer my
          question!

          Second, I did get a few differing answers, so I thought I'd toss
          them out there and see what ya'll make of it.

          Definitely has the gene:
          Lorne
          Markham

          Definitely doesn't have the gene:
          Weir

          Might have the gene:
          Ford
          Cadman
          Stackhouse

          Poor Miko wasn't even mentioned, but then I went back to check and
          realized that I forgot to put her on the list:)

          The comments I received for the might have's, include that Ford
          piloted jumpers early in season one (but also that he definitely
          didn't have the gene), Stackhouse is a common fanon carrier, and
          Cadman is so cool that she could have the gene even though canon
          hasn't told us so. And, as I recall, Miko was only in a single
          episode of canon, and then only to gush over Rodney (which,
          unfortunately, doesn't tell us much about her ATA status).

          Honestly, of the four (Ford, Cadman, Stackhouse, and Miko), my story
          can only support 1-2 of them being a carrier. Which do ya'll think
          are the most likely suspects?

          Thanks again!
          Jane
        • Anthony Docimo
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
            hi

            >From: "jannet_elliot" <janethunder@...>
            >To: wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [wraithbeta] Re: Quick research question
            >Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:37:35 -0000
            >
            >First of all, thank you to everyone who took time to answer my
            >question!

            you're welcome.

            >Second, I did get a few differing answers, so I thought I'd toss
            >them out there and see what ya'll make of it.

            >Might have the gene:
            >Ford
            >Cadman
            >Stackhouse
            >
            >Poor Miko wasn't even mentioned, but then I went back to check and
            >realized that I forgot to put her on the list:)
            >
            >The comments I received for the might have's, include that Ford
            >piloted jumpers early in season one (but also that he definitely
            >didn't have the gene), Stackhouse is a common fanon carrier, and
            >Cadman is so cool that she could have the gene even though canon
            >hasn't told us so. And, as I recall, Miko was only in a single
            >episode of canon, and then only to gush over Rodney (which,
            >unfortunately, doesn't tell us much about her ATA status).

            she was in more than one ep, I'm pretty sure.

            and that's even if you don't think "Miko" and "Dr Kusanagi" are the same
            person.

            >Honestly, of the four (Ford, Cadman, Stackhouse, and Miko), my story
            >can only support 1-2 of them being a carrier. Which do ya'll think
            >are the most likely suspects?

            Ford's been known to pilot puddlejumpers.

            Miko might have the gene.

            Experience the magic of the holidays. Talk to Santa on Messenger.
            http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/santabot/default.aspx?locale=en-us
          • entsg1efc2002
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
              Hi Jane,

              Ok, thought I'd clear up a few things I read in the previous posts.

              The episode where we learn about Teyla's Wraith DNA is indeed "The
              Gift", last ep of season 1 before the 3 part Seige eps. And the
              explaination gave about her ancestor's being injected with Wraith DNA
              is correct.

              Of the people on your list:

              Ford - no, only seen in a co-pilot seat in a jumper in the "premier"
              flying with Sheppard, in "Defiante One" flying with Markham, and in
              "Storm/Eye" flying with Carson. However when he got Wraithified he
              did escape in a Jumper and that was never explained because the Wraith
              can't fly them and was a WHOLE mess in fanfic circles.

              Cadman - never said either way, but I like her so I'd give it to her
              if you like. :)

              Lorne - Yes, he's been flying Jumpers ever since he arrived on the
              Daedalus, but not known if it's natural, could have had the gene
              therapy at the SGC like alot of Everett's strike force did.

              Stackhouse = never mentioned in canon. He was usually partnered with
              Markham who DOES have it, but again same with Ford he was always in
              the co-pilot seat as seen in "38 Minutes".

              Markham - as mentioned above, YES does have it and is natural, one of
              the few they brought with them but always seemed nervous when he used
              it, especially flying Jumpers, maybe he should have stayed away from
              them since that's how he died. :(

              Weir - definately does NOT have it. Koyla asked her in Storm and she
              said no, and as said before, with Sheppard having it and being her
              2nd, she would need to remain nutral if something ever happened to the
              people with it.

              And Miko was supposed to be on the list. It is assumed that Miko IS
              Dr. Kusanagi who is mention in many episode as having the gene and
              being on of Carson and Rodney favorite lab rats for chair testing.

              So for your fic, it would be fun if the girls were the ones who had
              it. So give it to Cadman and Miko. :)

              Hope this helps,
              Laheara
            • jannet_elliot
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                > Hope this helps,
                > Laheara

                Very much so, thanks!

                Jane
              • with_an_apostrophe
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 28, 2006
                  Regarding Ford and the jumper, Martin Wood (or Martin Gero) explains
                  this in one of the commentaries.

                  Ford can use the co-pilot's controls, which are standard push button
                  controls that anyone could use.

                  Anyone can launch a jumper from Atlantis, as exiting the jumper bay,
                  descending to the Gate Room and shooting forward through the Gate are
                  automated systems that a non ATA carrier can activatefrom the co-
                  pilot's seat.

                  Ford, or anyone else without the gene, would not be able to move a
                  jumper an inch if it were landed on an ordinary planet - as the
                  automatic launch systems tie in with Atlantis' systems.

                  And just to clarify - Ford definitely doesn't have the gene - see 'Hot
                  Zone'.

                  In fanon, Miko and Dr Kusanagi (mentioned by Rodney and Radek in one
                  of 'The Sieges') are one and the same person as mentioned before. It's
                  a nice idea - it means we have a complete person - first name, last
                  name, face and even a personality!