Quick research question

  • jannet_elliot
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 26, 2006
      Can someone tell me who (if any) on this list has the ATA gene
      naturally?
      Ford
      Cadman
      Lorne
      Stackhouse
      Markham
      Weir

      Also, I've never totally understood why Teyla has Wraith DNA. Was it
      because of a common ancestor, or a different reason?

      Thanks!
      Jane
    • Larian Elensar
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 26, 2006
        I don't think any of those people have the gene naturally. At least I don't
        remember it being canon for any of them. It's popular in the fandom that
        Stackhouse and Lorne both have it, sometimes it's natural, sometimes they get
        the gene therapy.

        And if I understand it correctly, Teyla has Wraith DNA because one of her
        ancestors was experimented on by a Wraith who gave them Wraith DNA to make them
        stronger, so they'd live longer while being fed upon, and he/she passed it down
        through his children and grandchildren, etc...

        --- jannet_elliot <janethunder@...> wrote:

        > Can someone tell me who (if any) on this list has the ATA gene
        > naturally?
        > Ford
        > Cadman
        > Lorne
        > Stackhouse
        > Markham
        > Weir
        >
        > Also, I've never totally understood why Teyla has Wraith DNA. Was it
        > because of a common ancestor, or a different reason?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Jane

      • HazelJia
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
          Well, Lorne definitely has the gene, we just don't know how he came to get
          it. :) I guess you're free to make that up.

          I think Weir doesn't have the gene at all ( she once said something to the
          effect of not needing it anyway), nor does Ford. I have no idea about the
          others, though.
          As for Teyla, there was a whole episode about her and the Wraith-DNA, and
          I'll tell you the title as soon as I'm awake enough to look for it.

        • VALLEYA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
            In a message dated 12/27/2006 1:08:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, stargateslash@... writes:
            As for Teyla, there was a whole episode about her and the Wraith-DNA, and
            I'll tell you the title as soon as I'm awake enough to look for it.
            <<<Isn't the ep called the Gift?  Yeah, I think that's it.  Good one to watch because it becomes very important in later season 2 eps.

            Val
          • Larian Elensar
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
              I think the Teyla episode was Season 1, Ep 18, The Gift.

              --- HazelJia <stargateslash@...> wrote:

              > Well, Lorne definitely has the gene, we just don't know how he came to get
              > it. :) I guess you're free to make that up.
              >
              > I think Weir doesn't have the gene at all ( she once said something to the
              > effect of not needing it anyway), nor does Ford. I have no idea about the
              > others, though.
              > As for Teyla, there was a whole episode about her and the Wraith-DNA, and
              > I'll tell you the title as soon as I'm awake enough to look for it.
              >

              > > Can someone tell me who (if any) on this list has the ATA gene
              > > naturally?
              > > Ford
              > > Cadman
              > > Lorne
              > > Stackhouse
              > > Markham
              > > Weir
              > >
              > > Also, I've never totally understood why Teyla has Wraith DNA. Was it
              > > because of a common ancestor, or a different reason?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > Jane

            • Laura Hackett
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                Markham had it.  I believe it was natural, but I couldn't say for sure.  I just know that he was a marine, but ended up flying the jumpers quite often because there weren't enough people to operate them.

                Not sure about Cadman.  Lorne's got it, but I'm not sure how.  Ford, Weir and Stackhouse don't have it.

                Hope this helps.

                Laura.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                  Weir doesn't have the gene, because in one episode, I'm pretty sure
                  she said she would have to basically be a neutral party incase
                  something happened to those with the gene.
                  Hope it helps :)

                  --- In wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com, "Laura Hackett"
                  <laura_hackett@...> wrote:

                  > Markham had it. I believe it was natural, but I couldn't say for
                  sure. I
                  > just know that he was a marine, but ended up flying the jumpers
                  quite often
                  > because there weren't enough people to operate them.
                  >
                  > Not sure about Cadman. Lorne's got it, but I'm not sure how.
                  Ford, Weir
                  > and Stackhouse don't have it.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Laura.

                • jannet_elliot
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                    First of all, thank you to everyone who took time to answer my
                    question!

                    Second, I did get a few differing answers, so I thought I'd toss
                    them out there and see what ya'll make of it.

                    Definitely has the gene:
                    Lorne
                    Markham

                    Definitely doesn't have the gene:
                    Weir

                    Might have the gene:
                    Ford
                    Cadman
                    Stackhouse

                    Poor Miko wasn't even mentioned, but then I went back to check and
                    realized that I forgot to put her on the list:)

                    The comments I received for the might have's, include that Ford
                    piloted jumpers early in season one (but also that he definitely
                    didn't have the gene), Stackhouse is a common fanon carrier, and
                    Cadman is so cool that she could have the gene even though canon
                    hasn't told us so. And, as I recall, Miko was only in a single
                    episode of canon, and then only to gush over Rodney (which,
                    unfortunately, doesn't tell us much about her ATA status).

                    Honestly, of the four (Ford, Cadman, Stackhouse, and Miko), my story
                    can only support 1-2 of them being a carrier. Which do ya'll think
                    are the most likely suspects?

                    Thanks again!
                    Jane
                  • Anthony Docimo
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                      hi

                      >From: "jannet_elliot" <janethunder@...>
                      >To: wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [wraithbeta] Re: Quick research question
                      >Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:37:35 -0000
                      >
                      >First of all, thank you to everyone who took time to answer my
                      >question!

                      you're welcome.

                      >Second, I did get a few differing answers, so I thought I'd toss
                      >them out there and see what ya'll make of it.

                      >Might have the gene:
                      >Ford
                      >Cadman
                      >Stackhouse
                      >
                      >Poor Miko wasn't even mentioned, but then I went back to check and
                      >realized that I forgot to put her on the list:)
                      >
                      >The comments I received for the might have's, include that Ford
                      >piloted jumpers early in season one (but also that he definitely
                      >didn't have the gene), Stackhouse is a common fanon carrier, and
                      >Cadman is so cool that she could have the gene even though canon
                      >hasn't told us so. And, as I recall, Miko was only in a single
                      >episode of canon, and then only to gush over Rodney (which,
                      >unfortunately, doesn't tell us much about her ATA status).

                      she was in more than one ep, I'm pretty sure.

                      and that's even if you don't think "Miko" and "Dr Kusanagi" are the same
                      person.

                      >Honestly, of the four (Ford, Cadman, Stackhouse, and Miko), my story
                      >can only support 1-2 of them being a carrier. Which do ya'll think
                      >are the most likely suspects?

                      Ford's been known to pilot puddlejumpers.

                      Miko might have the gene.

                      Experience the magic of the holidays. Talk to Santa on Messenger.
                      http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/santabot/default.aspx?locale=en-us
                    • entsg1efc2002
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                        Hi Jane,

                        Ok, thought I'd clear up a few things I read in the previous posts.

                        The episode where we learn about Teyla's Wraith DNA is indeed "The
                        Gift", last ep of season 1 before the 3 part Seige eps. And the
                        explaination gave about her ancestor's being injected with Wraith DNA
                        is correct.

                        Of the people on your list:

                        Ford - no, only seen in a co-pilot seat in a jumper in the "premier"
                        flying with Sheppard, in "Defiante One" flying with Markham, and in
                        "Storm/Eye" flying with Carson. However when he got Wraithified he
                        did escape in a Jumper and that was never explained because the Wraith
                        can't fly them and was a WHOLE mess in fanfic circles.

                        Cadman - never said either way, but I like her so I'd give it to her
                        if you like. :)

                        Lorne - Yes, he's been flying Jumpers ever since he arrived on the
                        Daedalus, but not known if it's natural, could have had the gene
                        therapy at the SGC like alot of Everett's strike force did.

                        Stackhouse = never mentioned in canon. He was usually partnered with
                        Markham who DOES have it, but again same with Ford he was always in
                        the co-pilot seat as seen in "38 Minutes".

                        Markham - as mentioned above, YES does have it and is natural, one of
                        the few they brought with them but always seemed nervous when he used
                        it, especially flying Jumpers, maybe he should have stayed away from
                        them since that's how he died. :(

                        Weir - definately does NOT have it. Koyla asked her in Storm and she
                        said no, and as said before, with Sheppard having it and being her
                        2nd, she would need to remain nutral if something ever happened to the
                        people with it.

                        And Miko was supposed to be on the list. It is assumed that Miko IS
                        Dr. Kusanagi who is mention in many episode as having the gene and
                        being on of Carson and Rodney favorite lab rats for chair testing.

                        So for your fic, it would be fun if the girls were the ones who had
                        it. So give it to Cadman and Miko. :)

                        Hope this helps,
                        Laheara
                      • jannet_elliot
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                          > Hope this helps,
                          > Laheara

                          Very much so, thanks!

                          Jane
                        • with_an_apostrophe
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 28, 2006
                            Regarding Ford and the jumper, Martin Wood (or Martin Gero) explains
                            this in one of the commentaries.

                            Ford can use the co-pilot's controls, which are standard push button
                            controls that anyone could use.

                            Anyone can launch a jumper from Atlantis, as exiting the jumper bay,
                            descending to the Gate Room and shooting forward through the Gate are
                            automated systems that a non ATA carrier can activatefrom the co-
                            pilot's seat.

                            Ford, or anyone else without the gene, would not be able to move a
                            jumper an inch if it were landed on an ordinary planet - as the
                            automatic launch systems tie in with Atlantis' systems.

                            And just to clarify - Ford definitely doesn't have the gene - see 'Hot
                            Zone'.

                            In fanon, Miko and Dr Kusanagi (mentioned by Rodney and Radek in one
                            of 'The Sieges') are one and the same person as mentioned before. It's
                            a nice idea - it means we have a complete person - first name, last
                            name, face and even a personality!