Re: [wraithbeta] Re: Question on Grammar

  • Alyse
    Message 1 of 10 , May 22, 2006
      On 5/22/06, redthunder213 <redthunder213@...> wrote:
      > > "You know," blustered Rodney, "I have absolutely no idea what
      > > you're talking about."
      >
      > I've always written something similar to the above as:
      >
      > "You know," blustered Rodney. "I have absolutely no idea what you're
      > talking about."

      It can be *provided* you wanted to have two separate sentences. In
      other words, if you wanted to write:

      "You know. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about," said Rodney.

      What you actually have is a fragment (an incomplete sentence) followed
      by another sentence. So, while it wouldn't be grammatically correct,
      people aren't always grammatically correct and do use fragments in
      dialogue (and in thought patterns as well). Personally, I wouldn't
      for Rodney's dialogue, because with Rodney's inflections and speech
      patterns, it's unlikely (imho) that he'd actually be saying two
      separate sentences there. Rodney doesn't tend to use fragments in his
      speech, largely because his thoughts are whizzing around so quickly,
      and his speech is so rapid, that he actually ends up with run on
      sentences rather than sentence fragments. Although, saying that, he
      does sometimes cut himself off in mid thought and change direction as
      something new occurs to him but *personally* I'd either use a dash or
      ellipses to indicate that :)

      John is different, because he does have a habit of using fragments
      like that, so it would strike me as being less odd for John than it
      would be for Rodney.

      In other words, it's not grammatically correct, but could be correct
      for the character, depending on someone's canonical speech patterns :)

      Hope that helps.

      --
      love and Thorntons' chocolates

      Al

      unconsciousmind - www.unconsciousmind.co.uk
    • Anthony Docimo
      Message 2 of 10 , May 22, 2006
        >Example one is not correct, at least not if you're talking about two
        >separate sentences.
        >
        >So, for example this is correct:
        >
        >"I think I underestimated you, Rodney," John said. "This is a turn up for
        >the books."

        If I may ask, is that a British expression? What does "a turn up for the
        books" mean? *curious*

        thank you.
      • laura_hackett@tiscali.co.uk
        Message 3 of 10 , May 22, 2006
          It's certainly a phrase I am familiar with, and I'm a Brit. I don't know
          whether it's exclusively British though.

          It means basically, a surprise, something unexpected. I looked it up in
          'Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable' and the definition reads:

          A completely unexpected result or occurrance, especially a welcome one. 'Turn-up'
          alludes to the turning up of a particular card in a game, while the 'book'
          is the one kept by a bookmaker on a racecourse. the expression dates from
          the 1940s.

          Hope this clears it up for you.

          Laura.

          Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!