RE: [wraithbeta] Re: Question on Grammar

  • Kristin Bledsoe
    Message 1 of 10 , May 22, 2006
      I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong, but I have to disagree with RT
      (below). I've seen Example 2 used quite frequently in professional
      novels. While some grammatical slips do make it into professionally
      published works, I've seen this often enough to think that it's legal.
      I believe Example 1, however, is grammatically incorrect. The second
      part of the sentence should not start with a capital, since the "he
      said" is something of an interjection. It doesn't change the spoken
      sentence itself; it's just put in the middle to break it up a bit and
      provide clarification.

      Just my two cents!

      - feather

      Message 2 of 10 , May 22, 2006
        I agree, the only time the second have should be capitalized is if it starts a whole new sentence, not if it is a continuation .

        > Example 3: "Dialogue1," he said. "Dialogue2."

        Example 3 is the only one of the three that is grammatically accurate, and I've never heard of any other way of putting dialogue tags inside two sets of dialogue. If you'd like to send me a more specific example off-list, however, I'd be happy to look at it again.

        RT

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Alyse
        Message 3 of 10 , May 22, 2006
          Examples two and three are both correct usage, providing that example two is the continuation of the same sentence.

          Example one is not correct, at least not if you're talking about two separate sentences.

          So, for example this is correct:

          "I think I underestimated you, Rodney," John said.  "This is a turn up for the books."

          whereas this wouldn't be:

          "I think I underestimated you, Rodney," John said, "This is a turn up for the books."

          It's because 'John said' is a dialogue tag.  A dialogue tag is something attached to a piece of speech to give the reader some guidance as to who is speaking and how they are saying it.  This makes it part of the same sentence as the dialogue.  But it can't be attached to two different sentences.

          On the other hand, this would be perfectly acceptable:

          "You know," blustered Rodney, "I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about."

          That's because Rodney is actually saying just one sentence.  You could easily rearrange it to be:

          "You know, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about," blustered Rodney.

          You wouldn't say:

          "I think I underestimated you, Rodney, this (or even This) is a turn up for the books," said John. So you can't stick the 'said John' in there, with two commas.  Your choices are example two or:

          "I think I underestimated you, Rodney.  This is a turn up for the books," said John.

          Hope that helps :)

          I'm back and I know I owe people mail.  I'll try to get the backlog cleared tonight, but unfortunately my tennis elbow has been playing up, which Leah I think has let at least some people know.

          On 5/22/06, Laryn <aleirian@...> wrote:
          I've got a question, and since my last useful grammar class was at least a decade ago (possibly two), please bear with me on this one.  The story I'm currently looking at interjects a lot of conversation tags into the middle of sentences preceded and followed by commas - this is a convention that I've not seen before and I'm not sure it's legal.
          Example 1: "Dialogue1," he said, "Dialogue 2."

          --
          love and Thorntons' chocolates

          Al

          unconsciousmind - www.unconsciousmind.co.uk
        • redthunder213
          Message 4 of 10 , May 22, 2006
            > "You know," blustered Rodney, "I have absolutely no idea what
            > you're talking about."

            I've always written something similar to the above as:

            "You know," blustered Rodney. "I have absolutely no idea what you're
            talking about."

            Is that also correct?

            Thanks for the clarification!
            RedThunder
          • Alyse
            Message 5 of 10 , May 22, 2006
              On 5/22/06, redthunder213 <redthunder213@...> wrote:
              > > "You know," blustered Rodney, "I have absolutely no idea what
              > > you're talking about."
              >
              > I've always written something similar to the above as:
              >
              > "You know," blustered Rodney. "I have absolutely no idea what you're
              > talking about."

              It can be *provided* you wanted to have two separate sentences. In
              other words, if you wanted to write:

              "You know. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about," said Rodney.

              What you actually have is a fragment (an incomplete sentence) followed
              by another sentence. So, while it wouldn't be grammatically correct,
              people aren't always grammatically correct and do use fragments in
              dialogue (and in thought patterns as well). Personally, I wouldn't
              for Rodney's dialogue, because with Rodney's inflections and speech
              patterns, it's unlikely (imho) that he'd actually be saying two
              separate sentences there. Rodney doesn't tend to use fragments in his
              speech, largely because his thoughts are whizzing around so quickly,
              and his speech is so rapid, that he actually ends up with run on
              sentences rather than sentence fragments. Although, saying that, he
              does sometimes cut himself off in mid thought and change direction as
              something new occurs to him but *personally* I'd either use a dash or
              ellipses to indicate that :)

              John is different, because he does have a habit of using fragments
              like that, so it would strike me as being less odd for John than it
              would be for Rodney.

              In other words, it's not grammatically correct, but could be correct
              for the character, depending on someone's canonical speech patterns :)

              Hope that helps.

              --
              love and Thorntons' chocolates

              Al

              unconsciousmind - www.unconsciousmind.co.uk
            • Anthony Docimo
              Message 6 of 10 , May 22, 2006
                >Example one is not correct, at least not if you're talking about two
                >separate sentences.
                >
                >So, for example this is correct:
                >
                >"I think I underestimated you, Rodney," John said. "This is a turn up for
                >the books."

                If I may ask, is that a British expression? What does "a turn up for the
                books" mean? *curious*

                thank you.
              • laura_hackett@tiscali.co.uk
                Message 7 of 10 , May 22, 2006
                  It's certainly a phrase I am familiar with, and I'm a Brit. I don't know
                  whether it's exclusively British though.

                  It means basically, a surprise, something unexpected. I looked it up in
                  'Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable' and the definition reads:

                  A completely unexpected result or occurrance, especially a welcome one. 'Turn-up'
                  alludes to the turning up of a particular card in a game, while the 'book'
                  is the one kept by a bookmaker on a racecourse. the expression dates from
                  the 1940s.

                  Hope this clears it up for you.

                  Laura.

                  Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!