Re: The homophone/spelling thing got me thinking....

  • redthunder213
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2006
      > The way I understand it, a title/rank should be capitalised if
      > it's a form of address:

      Like so many aspects of English grammar (hello, "whom"), this seems to
      be in the process of changing. The rule of thumb that I was taught is
      that if it's replacing someone's name, then it should be capitalized.
      Otherwise, it shouldn't.

      I personally wouldn't capitalize colonel in "the colonel", even though
      it is specifically referring to an individual. Feel free to educate
      me if I'm wrong:)

      "loose/lose" -- How did I forget that one? It's one of the worst.
      *shudder*