RE: [wraithbeta] Homophones

  • Laura Hackett
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2006
      How odd.  No, we have the same use for then/than and now/know as you do.  Funnily enough, I've seen this same thing in a couple of authors that *I believe* were from southern areas of the US, and assumed the same thing, that it was just the differences between US and UK spelling.

      The most common differences, where we don't use a completely different word (i.e. tap/faucet, pavement/sidewalk), are:

      re/er - centre/center
      the addition of u- favour/favor
      double ll- dialled/dialed

      I know these are more spellings than homophones, but it might be useful regardless.  There are probably more, but these are the big three and they used to really throw me when I started reading US books, and, for some reason, threw me all over again when I started reading fanfic ::is confused::.  Needless to say, my fingers itched like mad when I did my first bit of beta work for a US author, but I restrained myself :).

      Laura.