Re: [wraithbeta] Homophones

  • Laryn
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2006
      Quick question.

      I see the "then/than" and "know/now" thing a lot when dealing with British authors. I'm a Yank, so I've assumed this was a common spelling difference, much list potato/potatoe - can anyone verify that?  I've assumed, since it's been used consistently by my British authors, that it is simply a spelling difference but if not then it's definately something to look for in my stories.

      Laryn
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2006
        Here's the question - verbatim:

        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2006
          I'm a Yank, too, but I've read a vast amount of British literature and
          have never noticed any spelling differences with regard to "then/than"
          and "know/now". Maybe it's more of how they pronounce the words? In
          my speech neither of these are truly homophones, so it's not difficult
          for me to tell them apart. Perhaps that's not the case with British
          pronunciation?

          --- In wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com, "Laryn" <aleirian@...> wrote:

          > Quick question.
          >
          > I see the "then/than" and "know/now" thing a lot when dealing with
          British authors. I'm a Yank, so I've assumed this was a common
          spelling difference, much list potato/potatoe - can anyone verify
          that? I've assumed, since it's been used consistently by my British
          authors, that it is simply a spelling difference but if not then it's
          definately something to look for in my stories.
        • Laura Hackett
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2006
            How odd.  No, we have the same use for then/than and now/know as you do.  Funnily enough, I've seen this same thing in a couple of authors that *I believe* were from southern areas of the US, and assumed the same thing, that it was just the differences between US and UK spelling.

            The most common differences, where we don't use a completely different word (i.e. tap/faucet, pavement/sidewalk), are:

            re/er - centre/center
            the addition of u- favour/favor
            double ll- dialled/dialed

            I know these are more spellings than homophones, but it might be useful regardless.  There are probably more, but these are the big three and they used to really throw me when I started reading US books, and, for some reason, threw me all over again when I started reading fanfic ::is confused::.  Needless to say, my fingers itched like mad when I did my first bit of beta work for a US author, but I restrained myself :).

            Laura.