ADMIN: Beta Database and other animals

  • Alyse
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2006
      I'm doped up on cold medication tonight, so will probably be
      unreasonable bouncy and maybe even a little incoherent. So bear with
      me :) It's not often I delurk.

      A few things:

      - Larkin has suggested setting up some kind of lists of beta readers -
      with strengths etc - to make it easier to find the type of beta reader
      you need.

      Which means, of course, that she's volunteered to do just that. So,
      polish up your resumes and think about what your betaing strengths and
      weaknesses are, and she'll inform the list in due course about how
      she's going to do it.

      - I'd also like to remind everyone of the fantastic links that
      lemontea added to the links section a while ago now. There are some
      wonderful articles about the art of beta reading and the beta
      reader/author relationship and how to make it work, and it's worth
      checking them out.

      - a reminder that guidance is given on the front page about the
      information to include when requesting a beta reader. I'd also like
      to offer a little bit of advice.

      When you're requesting a beta reader - or offering to beta read -
      please proofread and spellcheck your e-mails to the list. I know that
      e-mail is a quick and easy medium, and a lot of people's grammar,
      spelling and punctuation is far better in formal forms of
      communication than might be evident in a quick e-mail, but if you're
      requesting/offering help, remember that it's better to give as good an
      impression as possible.

      If you request a beta reader, and your request e-mail contains a
      number of spelling and/or other errors (missing apostrophes etc),
      you'll probably find people reluctant to offer their services because
      they're wondering about the amount of input they'll need to provide
      and how many mistakes of a similar nature there will be in your
      stories.

      If you're offering a service as a beta reader and your offer e-mail
      contains a lot of mistakes, then you'll probably find that no one
      takes you up on your generous offer because they don't think you can
      help them.

      First impressions might be misleading, but they're often the ones that count :)

      Also, in both cases, please be clear what you need or are offering (I
      need specific help with characterisation/I'm very good at spotting
      plotholes etc.)

      Thank you.
      --
      love and Thorntons' chocolates

      Al

      unconsciousmind - www.unconsciousmind.co.uk
    • victoriaely
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2006
        Hope you get well soon :)

        This is a great idea, I think that this will smooth things and help
        readers and writers a lot.

        I'd like to help set this up, if Larkin needs any help :)

        Rox