Beta needed

  • girlgonemadd@cox.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 28, 2006
      I have a short, hopefully humorous Sheppard/McKay story that's in need of a beta to go over.

      Terri
    • yaoiobsessivefangirl
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 28, 2006
        --- In wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com, <girlgonemadd@...> wrote:

        > I have a short, hopefully humorous Sheppard/McKay story that's in
        need of a beta to go over.

        > Terri

        Hi if you send it to me I'll have a go

        My email is yaoiobsessivefangirl@...
      • Angela Paterson
        Message 3 of 23 , May 3, 2006
          Hey, I am currently in the middle of writing my first piece of
          fiction, which is currently being posted on ff.net. I have posted the
          first chap on wraithbait, but then was abandoned by my beta.

          So I am looking for someone that could read over my story, primarily
          for punctuation,as this is my biggest weakness, but also someone that
          might be able to help me improve my writing.

          I am currently writing a gen piece, with Sheppard whumping, and lots
          of angst. I would love to find a beta who could help me with this fic,
          but who also might be willing to help me with future fics
        • Toad
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2006
            Let me know if you still need a hand, I have quite a lot of experience
            as a beta and also occasionally write as well.

            Stonedtoad

            --- In wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com, "Angela Paterson" <angela8750@...>
            wrote:

            > Hey, I am currently in the middle of writing my first piece of
            > fiction, which is currently being posted on ff.net. I have posted
            the
            > first chap on wraithbait, but then was abandoned by my beta.
            >
            > So I am looking for someone that could read over my story, primarily
            > for punctuation,as this is my biggest weakness, but also someone
            that
            > might be able to help me improve my writing.
            >
            > I am currently writing a gen piece, with Sheppard whumping, and lots
            > of angst. I would love to find a beta who could help me with this
            fic,
            > but who also might be willing to help me with future fics

          • angela paterson
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4, 2006
              Hi, I'd love some help. I'll send over the first chapter. Thanks

              Angela

              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2006
                Whoops, ignore this. Meant to send as a private message. Sorry!

                Hi, I'd love some help. I'll send over the first chapter. Thanks

                Angela

                Let me know if you still need a hand, I have quite a lot of experience
                as a beta and also occasionally write as well.

                -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

                He flashed her his trademark, lopsided grin before he stepped through the gate on what should have been a simple trading mission. Teyla had traded with the people of MX4-238 for many years and had judged them to be an honest, peaceful people.

                Even so every time he stepped through the gate she became nervous and on edge. Worried that this time he might not be coming back, he had had so many close calls over the past year that she felt she had a right to worry. Even if she did make the gate technicians life a misery every time he and his team was off world.

                However, this time it seemed that her worries had been justified. Colonel Sheppards team had come barrelling through the gate barely an hour after they had gated off world. She had been in her office when she had heard the now, unfortunately all too familiar warning

                Unscheduled off world activation She had made her way quickly to the balcony overlooking the gate room, praying that it would not be Major Sheppards team that emerged from the gate. It seemed however, that her prayers were not to be answer as the gate technician informed her,

                Maam, Im receiving SGA 1s IDC

                Lower the shield She ordered, her mind momentarily wondering as to what kind of trouble the Colonel and his team had managed to get themselves into this time.

                She watched as Colonel Sheppards team came barrelling through the gate, unceremoniously landing in a heap on the gate room floor. There was a flurry of activity around her that Elizabeth barely registered as she stood staring in horror at the bruised and bloodied but ultimately unconscious forms of Teyla, Lieutenant Ford and Dr Rodney McKay. Elizabeths eyes darted around wildly, desperately searching for a fourth figure, that of Colonel Sheppard, however he was nowhere to be found.

                As she made her way down to the floor of the gate room, still lost in her own thoughts, her shock at seeing the unconscious figures before her quickly turned into anger, she knew that it was irrational but she thought to herself, How the hell could they just leave Sheppard behind? Her anger at the team was quickly pushed from her mind as more important thoughts took their place. Where was he? Was he ok? Was he in the same state, or worse, as his team? Was he even alive? No, she quickly became angry at herself for even thinking that he might not be alive. Of course he was alive and they were going to bring him home. She barely registered the figure of Dr Carson Beckett, running towards her, closely followed by what seemed the entire medical staff. She had no idea how long she had been standing there, lost in her thoughts. She hadnt even heard anyone call for a med team.

                What the hell happened Came Carsons familiar Scottish brogue, pulling her from her thoughts, as he ran over to the three figures littering the gate room.

                I dont know was Elizabeths reply. Carson immediately began checking his patients one by one.

                Deeming Teyla to be most in need of medical attention, considering she was bleeding profusely from what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the abdomen, Beckett called for two orderlies to assist in him in manoeuvring the Athosian onto one of the waiting gurneys.

                Ok, we need to get her into surgery stat came Becketts controlled, professional reply.

                Damn Elizabeth thought to herself, why the hell couldnt she be like that. Every time that a team came back injured, she was a complete wreck, her mind always wandering to the worst case scenario.

                She watched silently as Teyla was wheeled away at a rapid pace towards the infirmary, and the waiting OR.

                Beckett, ever the professional quickly turned his attention to Ford and McKay. Checking both unconscious men over before placing their prone forms gently onto gurneys, with the help of several more of his nurses, before they too were wheeled away towards the infirmary.

                Beckett stood, looking perplexed at the very anxious Elizabeth.

                I dont understand why theyre both unconscious. There are no external injuries. I cannee see any reason for them to be unconscious

                Well, then why are they unconscious? She snapped, her voice harsher then she had intended. She needed them to wake up and tell her what had happened to them on that damned planet, and where the Colonel was so that she could send a rescue team to bring him home.

                Carson, a little taken aback by her outburst replied dejectedly, I dont know but Ill do all I can. His eyes scanning the gate room he added Wheres the Colonel? I bloody hope he isnt trying to avoid his post mission check-up. I know he doesnt like them, but it is nee like him to leave his team, especially when theyre sick. I usually have to chuck him out of the infirmary. Carson catching that Elizabeth was staring, longingly at the stargate stopped talking, becoming more and more worried by the second, by the conspicuous absence of the Colonel.

                There was a long uncomfortable silence, that seemed to last forever, as Elizabeth stood, eyes transfixed on the inactive gate, wishing desperately to hear the familiar whoosh of an incoming wormhole and for Sheppard to come running through and shout April fools. Eventually resigning to the fact that however much she wanted him to he wasnt just going to come walking through the gate she tore herself away and locked eyes with the now extremely worried Carson Beckett.

                I dont know If he had not been listening intently for her response he would have missed it, it was so quiet He never came back through the gate Her mood quickly changed as she snapped I need his team to wake up so I can find out what happened. We never leave a man behind She echoed the words that Sheppard had used to her on so many occasions. He had risked his life to save the lives of so many others and now it was his life that needed saving, and at the moment she had no way of helping him.

                Beckett ignoring his own emotions at the news that the Military commander of Atlantis, someone who had become a good friend after saving his butt so many times was MIA, never letting his carefully constructed doctor façade slip replied, Ill do everything that I can for his team. He turned away dejectedly from Elizabeth, not sure if she had heard him because she was once again staring transfixed, seemingly in a world of her own at the inactive stargate, as he made his way back to the infirmary and his three waiting patients.
              • angela paterson
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Hi. I've just taken on an absolutely huge challenge, and signed up for the NaNoWriMo challenge. I've just started writing my first ever novel, which will be a SGA story. It's a team story, which will probably, eventually involve most of the characters in Atlantis. I've just got the first chapter done, and it comes in at 4083 words. I'm aiming for the 50,000 words by the end of the month, but hope to post the novel as I go along. So I'm looking for someone that can primarily check it over for any spelling mistakes, and punctuation. I'm not bad but im not perfect either.

                  Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

                  Angela (aka ShepsAngel

                • Larkin
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 1, 2006

                    Can you give me some details about the story, pairing? Raiting etc?

                    thanks

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 1, 2006
                      Hi. Yeah. There is no pairing, it will be a team fic, although it will be mostly focused on Rodney and Sheppard. It has a K rating. Sheppard and Rodney are captured off world, and are implanted with devices which mean that they can't sleep. I was doing some research, and found out that the longest anyones ever stayed away is 11 days. So the reason for the devices is to basically push them to their limits to get information out of them. However they're going to be rescued after a couple of days on the planet, and taken back to Atlantis, where Beckett discovers that he can't remove the devices. And they're basically going to go through all of the different symptoms of severe sleep deprivation such as hallucinations, and paranoia, etc.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006

                        I’m not brilliant, but if no one else offers to take it on, I wouldn’t mind giving you a hand, I can at least pick up most mistakes J

                        Just let me know

                        Larkin

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 3, 2006
                          Hey Larkin.

                          I haven't had any other offers of a beta, so if you are still willing to give me a hand it would be very much appreciated.

                          Thanks

                          Angela

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 3, 2006

                            Yeah, no problem J

[...]

                          • fluffylittlewolf
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 29, 2006
                              Hello, everyone

                              My usual beta's a wee bit snowed under at the moment, so I'm looking
                              for a stand in.

                              It's for a challenge request response over at Slashfest, someone to
                              check punctuation, spelling, grammar, and plot.

                              This is a Roman SGA AU fic, NC17; it's 10 chapters and an epilogue
                              long, about 26,000 words. It's also a slave fic, McShep, with a
                              little Carson/Radek and Teyla/Ronon as well. It features implied non-
                              con, physical abuse. It features implied deaths of both original
                              characters and canon characters, but it's not a death-fic.

                              The only drawback (sorry, I know this is a tall order) is that so I
                              can revise and make any recommended changes in time to post the fic
                              for the challenge closing, I'd really need it back by say the 7th to
                              the 10th of December?

                              Hope someone can help; if anyone wants some more information first,
                              please email me.

                              Many thanks in advance

                              Huggle
                            • drewsark
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 27, 2006
                                Hi

                                I'm looking for someone to beta a 3/4 possiblely 5 part story (it may
                                end up with two endings)

                                It's a rodney mpreg, which may end up McShep or McMichtell (hence the
                                two endings.) It's slightly angsty but hopefully with a happy ending(s).

                                I've only written the first 3 parts but i was hoping someone will be
                                willing to go over what i've written. i'm not the best speller and
                                it's my second attempt at writing a SGA story so if anything is out of
                                character i'm happy for any suggestions.

                                thanks

                                tella.
                              • ShaMak
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 8, 2007
                                  Hey people!

                                  If someone is willing, I would like some help with a fic I've been working on. To be blunt, I need someone to tell me if it's any good or not -- and therefore, if I should continue to write it or not. Right now, the story is about 3600 words, with a prologue and the first chapter. Obviously, it is a WIP and I have no idea when I'm going to be able to finish. Of course, if you can also check grammar mistakes and such, I'll be very grateful.

                                  The rating of the story is currently FRT/PG-13. It will be slash eventually (though I'd say that the written parts are very much gen), and it is centered around an OMC.

                                  On a final note; please, I need someone that will really tell me if it is worth to continue the story or not. So, if it isn't good, I want someone who can thrash it. Really.

                                  Thanks,
                                  ShaMak

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • jacks_chicita
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 8, 2007
                                    Hiya, I'm Hannah and I'm willing to beta for you. If you send it to
                                    my email: blue_mystery@..., then I will be very happy to
                                    look it over for you.

                                    --- In wraithbeta@yahoogroups.com, ShaMak <shamakff@...> wrote:

                                    > Hey people!
                                    >
                                    > If someone is willing, I would like some help with a fic I've been
                                    working on. To be blunt, I need someone to tell me if it's any good
                                    or not -- and therefore, if I should continue to write it or not.
                                    Right now, the story is about 3600 words, with a prologue and the
                                    first chapter. Obviously, it is a WIP and I have no idea when I'm
                                    going to be able to finish. Of course, if you can also check grammar
                                    mistakes and such, I'll be very grateful.

                                    > The rating of the story is currently FRT/PG-13. It will be slash
                                    eventually (though I'd say that the written parts are very much gen),
                                    and it is centered around an OMC.

                                    > On a final note; please, I need someone that will really tell me if
                                    it is worth to continue the story or not. So, if it isn't good, I
                                    want someone who can thrash it. Really.

                                    > Thanks,
                                    > ShaMak

                                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  • Bonnie
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 7, 2007
                                      Hi folks!

                                      I could use a beta reader for a McShep slash, post Tao of Rodney fic.
                                      It's 1500 words. And kinda schmoopy. I basically just want a
                                      read-through to catch any grammar/spelling errors and any thoughts you
                                      have like 'dude, this is so out of character, try this instead' and
                                      whatnot. I don't have Word, but I do have WordPad and Notepad.

                                      This isn't my first fic, and I usually just go by the seat of my pants
                                      and go unbeta'd, but there's this thing, and it's called 'patience', I
                                      guess I should try to learn that, lol.

                                      Also, I'd like someone who is open to working with me in the future. I
                                      only write fics every few months at the most, but I think a go-to
                                      fresh pair of eyes would be wicked beneficial. And randomly, I'm
                                      working on a McShep AU where zombies exist. So liking violence? A
                                      probable plus. And I don't usually go into NC-17 sexin. So as the Bush
                                      song goes, there's no sex in my violence. *cough*

                                      I'm going to quit rambling now.

                                      Thanks for your time.

                                      -Bonster
                                    • Mandi Buchanan
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 5, 2007
                                        Wraithbeta
                                        'Ello everyone,

                                        Having given up on having finishing the longer story I'm writing anytime soon, I've written a short 2,000 or so word J/R stroy.

                                        Is anyone around for general read through/ encouragement/ advise?

                                        My first finished story (Ever!) and would like to get feedback soon so I don't lose the goldern glow of creativity.

                                        Email me at madmandy1@... and I'll send it over.

                                        Thanks
                                        Amanda
                                      • Adrian
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 1, 2008
                                          I am in need of a beta for a Rodney-centric fic.

                                          I'm in need of someone who can give me plot and characterization analysis and not grammar and
                                          punctuation (although, if such errors are found, it's always appreciated if they're pointed out).

                                          Length-wise, the story I'm writing is going to be in the ballpark of 25000 words, with 40
                                          parts - each about 6250 words.

                                          It's going to be set post-"Tao of Rodney", though some mention of "Sunday" will be made in
                                          regards to Carson's character. (And "The Game" *might* be mentioned, but in an off-hand, general
                                          conversation sort of way.) The pairings are going to be Rodney/John (in a
                                          just-starting-to-get-into-a-relationship way), Rodney/OFC, Rodney/Chuck/Lorne and John/Carson.
                                          The rating will be NC-17.

                                          The basic idea of the story is that Rodney is stranded on another planet and goes native.
                                          The majority of the first half of the fic deals with this (with a few parts focusing on the
                                          "Meanwhile, back in Atlantis...") He ends up staying there for about 3 & 1/3 years and makes a
                                          new life for himself there before people from Atlantis are able to make it back, with help from a
                                          mutual trade relation. Once back, Rodney has trouble reacclimating himself to Atlantis and feels
                                          himself stuck between two worlds. Then, he gets a plea for help from his adopted world and feels
                                          compelled to go back and help them, taking back-up with him (as well as a means to get home this
                                          time).

                                          If anyone's interested, I can give more in-depth information.

                                          And I'm planning on having the first part done by the end of next Wednesday.

                                          Thanks,
                                          Adrian

                                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                        • denyce36
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 2, 2010
                                            Hiya =)

                                            In need of a beta for a slash piece pairing: Lorne/Ronon, R
                                            It's an AU take off of S4 episode of Last Man Standing. The word count is: 3049 No major rush but I'd like to post a beta'd version before the new year.

                                            Strong points needed: grammar, tenses, and commas.

                                            If you're interested please contact me here or email me privately at: denyce36 at yahoo.com

                                            Thanks in advance!!