Weekend finds

  • sable_bp
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
      We had a good weekend of mushrooming. At the club walk at Conemaugh
      we found over 40 species. At Blue Knob State Park we found around 60
      species. Those will be posted later on the club website on the
      species list.

      There were nice quantities of boletes and chanterelles. We had a
      very good turnout at both walks particularly because of the rain.

      Mushrooms seemed to be everywhere.

      Let us know what you are finding.

      Big John
    • Jim Strutz
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
        Wendy and I camped in the Clarion region last weekend. We hunted for
        mushrooms in some of our favorite spots but didn't see much at first,
        just a few russulas, lactarius, and amanitas in places that are
        usually very productive. The only edibles we managed to find were
        some black trumpets and a few chanterelles. The next morning we
        continued hunting for mushrooms and found a small hen-of-the-woods
        tucked in the folds of a venerable beech tree. It's the second time
        we found a hen on something other than an oak tree. A few minutes
        later we spotted a bright orange cluster in the distance. It turned
        out to be a beautiful white-pored chicken-of-the-woods rosette
        growing on a decaying log. We eventually found some blewits, suillus,
        ringless honey mushrooms, and puffballs. We also saw some horse
        mushrooms growing in grassy areas on the drive home. We collected a
        few of these and stuffed and baked them with spinach and asiago
        cheese for dinner. Mushrooms are beginning to avail themselves after
        the heavy rains of a week ago. With more rain coming tomorrow and
        cooler temperatures expected, mushroom hunting should be pretty good
        for awhile.
      • C. James Strutz
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2005
          Wendy and I spent a lot of time morel hunting this weekend. We slogged
          through the cold rain all day around the in and around the WV panhandle
          region on Saturday and found nothing. Then we stopped by Mingo this morning
          and hunted for an hour or so and found nothing. Finally we hunted in Greene
          County and found a few half frees, blacks, and yellows around tulip poplars.
          The morels are still VERY few and far between. The weather is supposed to
          warm a bit next week and hopefully we will see more morels as a result.

          Hope you all had better luck at Mingo. Reports anyone?
        • aminitam
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2005
            There weren't a lot of morels found. A couple of people found
            yellows and half frees.

            The morels are out there though. A couple that lives south of the
            park brought in about 2 pounds of morels 2 of which were softball
            size. They found these somewhere other than the park.

            It was a good foray. I enjoyed the Plishke's
            talk, Gavin's soup, and lots of people who love
            mushrooms.