Intro

  • Bob Kemp
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2001
      Hi --

      I'm Bob and I just joined this group. I don't see many members, but let's
      see who's listening!

      I live in N. Central Texas, N. of Dallas in the country and I want to start
      growing mushrooms. I've been researching, but thought I'd ask a couple of
      questions to start out with...

      I have an enormous supply of cow manure. Is it possible to make the compost
      without chicken manure if I increase the cow manure to make the appropriate
      nitrogen levels?

      Can I buy old hay the farmers have sitting in the fields for cheap rather
      than fresh hay?

      How much spawn do you need to start a tray? If I have a tray 4'x10'x10"
      deep, how much spawn to use? As I've done laboratory procedures before, I'm
      thinking about just making my own (will be a fun hobby too!). So, I'll need
      to know what my target weight/volume of spawn will be!

      Thanks and nice to meet you, I'm getting the digests so hopefully I'll
      receive any reply, otherwise feel free to e-mail me at
      bobkemp@...

      Bob
    • sable_bp
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2001
        Hi Bob,

        We have had about 3000 hits on this site over the last 10 months.
        Our website at www.wpmc4.homestead.com under the photo gallery
        section has a tour of Sylvan's Mushroom Factory and Farm. It would
        be an interesting thing for you to look at. Too bad you don't live
        in our area. We have several professional cultivationists that
        belong to the club. Last year our club held two programs on mushroom
        cultivation.

        You didn't say what kind of mushrooms you wanted to grow. The
        systems would be different for different mushrooms. Remember,
        everything, including the dung has to be sterilized or radiated. I
        would suggest jumping onto Ebay and buy a copy of Paul Stamets book
        on growing mushrooms. He also has a company called Fungi Perfecti,
        where you can buy mushrooms kits and other cultivating materials.

        Don't forget to look at our Photo Gallery on our website and you will
        see more spawn than Carter has little liver pills.

        Thanks for joining us! Hope this is of some help.

        John Plischke
        President, WPMC

        --- In wpamushroomclub@y..., "Bob Kemp" <bobkemp@m...> wrote:
        > Hi --
        >
        > I'm Bob and I just joined this group. I don't see many members,
        but let's
        > see who's listening!
        >
        > I live in N. Central Texas, N. of Dallas in the country and I want
        to start
        > growing mushrooms. I've been researching, but thought I'd ask a
        couple of
        > questions to start out with...
        >
        > I have an enormous supply of cow manure. Is it possible to make the
        compost
        > without chicken manure if I increase the cow manure to make the
        appropriate
        > nitrogen levels?
        >
        > Can I buy old hay the farmers have sitting in the fields for cheap
        rather
        > than fresh hay?
        >
        > How much spawn do you need to start a tray? If I have a tray
        4'x10'x10"
        > deep, how much spawn to use? As I've done laboratory procedures
        before, I'm
        > thinking about just making my own (will be a fun hobby too!). So,
        I'll need
        > to know what my target weight/volume of spawn will be!
        >
        > Thanks and nice to meet you, I'm getting the digests so hopefully
        I'll
        > receive any reply, otherwise feel free to e-mail me at
        > bobkemp@m...
        >
        > Bob
      • bob_kemp
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2001
          John --

          Dang it! I typed a long reply and just accidently hit the back
          button! I'll try to reconstruct as much as I can recall....

          I think I found this club through your Sylvan tour gallery, and it
          was useful to go through! I have a large file of links now under my
          Favorites folder that I'll post below in case you want to check 'em
          out.

          I'm looking at starting with the common button mushroom for now,
          perhaps some others later. I expect that the temperatures will be OK
          for spawn-run and fruiting anytime between March and April/Early May;
          and between October15th to as late as mid-to-late December in this
          part of N. Central Texas.

          I think I'm going to have to concentrate on the composting for now,
          since I've already grown quart jars of mycellium (sp) before
          successfully, and I use the same sterile procedures to grow orchids
          from seeds. I usually have about 50% contamination (even with a home-
          made hood) , which doesn't bother me because I just double up on what
          I need in the end! There's just too much junk in the air here in the
          country.

          Assuming that I buy spawn from someone (or perhaps a couple of the
          home mushroom kits then instead of casing them, I use them to "seed"
          the beds), I'd still like some idea what people use as far as
          quantities of spawn. If I have a bed 10 inches deep, with 4 foot
          depth and 10 foot width, how much spawn do I need? Seems like I saw
          somewhere an estimate of one quart per 150 sq. feet. Is there a rule
          of thumb?

          Re: Compost -- Ok, I have GOBS of cow manure, let's call it 1500 lbs
          and it's not too wet now (but not well-rotted by any means, pretty
          fresh). Now I'm going to want to use some of it for my trees and
          gardens, but can commit quite a bit to the mushrooms. I recently
          found an egg farm to get chicken manure from. But all the compost
          recipes use horse manure! I even found one reference that "cow manure
          wasn't recommended" but they didn't say why. Looking at the chemical
          analysis differences between cow and horse manures, I just don't see
          that much difference. Is it the particular bacteria/fungi that live
          in horse manure/straw that's important? Will using one of those
          compost starter products overcome that deficiency?

          Finding a recipe for the compost using the materials I have on hand
          is my top priority now, because if I want to have the compost ready
          and "pasturized" before March, I think I need to get going!

          Some Links I've Found:

          OK, I have no connection with any of these sites, but it's a pretty
          good collection of reading and places to find supplies and such.

          http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/4448/button.htm
          http://www.teagasc.ie/research/reports/horticulture/4094/eopr-4094.htm
          http://www.gov.nf.ca/agric/crops/guides/mushrooms.htm
          http://muhammadfarms.com/Backyard_Gardening.htm
          http://www.mycosupply.com/index.html
          http://www.myceliumfruits.com
          http://www.qnet.com/~johnsonj/Shrooms.htm
          http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/IPM/pdf/07617.pdf
          http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/Hort_Tips/Garden_Tips/mushroo
          m.htm
          http://www.fungi.com/culture.html
          http://www.mushroomadventures.com/compost.html
          http://www.theforestfloor.org/archives/main/Compost_Recipes.html
          http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/mushroom.html

          Thanks,

          Bob

          --- In wpamushroomclub@y..., "sable_bp" <sable_bp@y...> wrote:

          > Hi Bob,
          >
          > We have had about 3000 hits on this site over the last 10 months.
          > Our website at www.wpmc4.homestead.com under the photo gallery
          > section has a tour of Sylvan's Mushroom Factory and Farm. It would
          > be an interesting thing for you to look at. Too bad you don't live
          > in our area. We have several professional cultivationists that
          > belong to the club. Last year our club held two programs on
          mushroom
          > cultivation.
          >
          > You didn't say what kind of mushrooms you wanted to grow. The
          > systems would be different for different mushrooms. Remember,
          > everything, including the dung has to be sterilized or radiated. I
          > would suggest jumping onto Ebay and buy a copy of Paul Stamets book
          > on growing mushrooms. He also has a company called Fungi Perfecti,
          > where you can buy mushrooms kits and other cultivating materials.
          >
          > Don't forget to look at our Photo Gallery on our website and you
          will
          > see more spawn than Carter has little liver pills.
          >
          > Thanks for joining us! Hope this is of some help.
          >
          > John Plischke
          > President, WPMC

        • sable_bp
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2001
            Bob,

            I still recommend, althought it talks about growing a lot of
            different types of mushrooms, Paul Stamets, Growing Gourmet and
            Medicinal Mushrooms.

            My copy cost about $50 and that was some years ago, you might find it
            on Ebay.

            Another suggestion would be to write to Penn State University,
            University Park, PA. They might have something they can specifically
            recommend. It is the nation's oldest agricultural school and they do
            teach how to cultivate mushrooms.

            Don't forget that the white button mushroom you buy in the store is
            the same mushroom as the crimini and the portobello.

            Good luck! Keep us updated on your progress.

            John

          • bob_kemp
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2001
              Hi!

              Thanks for the replies!

              I'm picking up a 1/4 ton pickup full of chicken manure from the local
              egg farm. I was surprised to find they don't like selling
              to "everyone that pulls a pickup up to the barn". I think the
              national manure elimination laws might be affecting the producers.
              Maybe they are worried about accounting for the manure they have to
              eliminate each year.

              Anyhow, I have at least a ton of cow manure, will have maybe 500 lbs
              of chicken manure (my pickup bed is about 6 feet by 2.5 feet by 4
              feet wide. I wonder, what does that much chicken manure weigh?)

              Most of the recipes for compost I've found (see previous web
              addresses I listed) seem to have about 40-60 lbs of chicken manure,
              to maybe 80 lbs of horse manure(I'm substituting cow manure), plus
              enough straw to make the correct N content (seems to be around %1.5).
              It seems to be a "hot" mix, compared to other composts I make.

              Can anyone here help me to make the best mix with cow manure, chicken
              manure, and straw for the common button mushroom?

            • sable_bp
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2001
                Hi,

                There are recipes for many mixes in the two books we mentioned
                before. Also Penn State should be able to supply you with some
                information, particulary about the mushroom you are interested in.
                This is probably the world's best research center on the common store
                bought mushrooms.

                John