Re: First Morel

  • sable_bp
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      I agree with Jim, that is where we were trying to get to. Instead of
      just Allegheny or Westmoreland Co, let's say northern or southern
      part of the county and whether in the highlands or lowlands and north
      facing hill or south facing hill.

      We don't have to say, nor would it be reasonable to say, their exact
      spot, although a number of club members have given their spots to
      club walks. If we said in the southern part of Westmoreland County,
      in the lowlands on a north facing slope in association with a certain
      type of tree, it would give us all a better idea that it is time to
      hunt our favorite spots that are similar. Likewise, Westmoreland
      County has Laurel Mts where the elevation is 24-2600 feet on south
      facing slopes, that isn't going to tell anyone's exact spot. This
      just gives us a better idea of the progression and nobody is giving
      up spots. Chestnut Ridge runs through a number of counties. In
      Westmoreland County if you try to cover it all to locate my spot it
      would be a miracle.

      Would anybody be willing to compile the information for a newsletter
      article? It would be beneficial to all. If you don't participate,
      you're a party pooper : )

      Big John

      --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Strutz" <strutzj@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "sable_bp" <sable_bp@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Let's have a contest of when we think the first member of the
      group
      > > will find the first morel of the season.
      > >
      > > My guess is going to be April 7.
      > >
      > > Anybody else have a guess? There is no prize, just a little
      fun.

      > > We ask all who belong to the groups or reads the group to post
      your
      > > first morel find. Don't give the exact location just the state
      and
      > > county. We are only counting morels found in Pennsylvania, West
      > > Virginia, and Ohio.
      > >
      > > By exchanging information of when you find morels, everybody
      > benefits.
      >
      > This is a great idea. However, the problem with "contests" is that
      > people stop playing after somebody "wins". I'd like to see it
      > expanded beyond the first morel of the season. It'd be even more
      > useful for people to report when and where they're finding morels
      > through the whole season. Also around what kind of trees, ground
      > temperature, elevation, etc. Okay, okay, I'm getting carried away.
      As
      > you say, we don't have to be specific about disclosing our favorite
      > hunting spots. State and county information would be sufficient for
      > now (although more specificity gives us better data resolution). If
      > we record this data, and continue to do so every year, we can begin
      > to characterize the wave of progress for our region. It would give
      us
      > better knowledge when and where to hunt for morels in the future.
      >
      > Having said all of that, I'm picking Good Friday (April 9) as the
      day
      > somebody finds the first morel in our region.
    • C. James Strutz
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
        I'll be happy to do it. You're right that participation is the key. The more
        information that goes into it the better information we get out of it, and
        everybody benefits. It would also help for us to come up with a set of
        common data fields. We can't make it too complicated or we might discourage
        participation, but we need enough information for it to be useful. How
        about: morel type, location, date, slope direction, elevation, and tree
        type.

      • WIZARD
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2004
          my guess is april 15

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28 3:12 PM
            If I would have guessed who would have found the first morel in the
            club. I would have guessed one of 3 people, Lars, John III, or Bobby
            Boice. I have no doubt whatsoever that Lars found that morel, he has
            found them early many times before.

            Congratulations for the first morel.

            My guess that they were black morels, sometimes you can see them
            growing in the snow. As for me with my older legs, I'm waiting till
            someplace around the 15th of April, depending on how the weather is.
            By the way last weekend, I saw dafodills blooming. Today I saw
            forsythia blooming at St Vincent College in Latrobe. The time has
            arrived, but I think the majority of people will be more successful in
            a couple of weeks.

            Big John
          • larshalfass
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30 8:24 PM
              Found my first last Tuesday 3/27/07. About the size of a rasberry, east
              bank of yough river South Connellsville. Didn't see any more but I
              didn't want to stomp all over the patch and ruin anything that was too
              small to see.

              Lars