Quiche with Black Trumpets and Sun-dried Tomatos

  • Jim Strutz
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      Wendy and I are always trying to think of things to combine with
      black trumpet's unique texture and flavor. We have found that BTs, as
      we call them, go exceptionally well with eggs as in this quiche.

      Quiche with Black Trumpets and Sun-dried Tomatos

      Single pie crust
      1 cup flour
      1/2 cup Crisco shortening
      1/2 tsp salt
      ice water, as needed

      Filling
      3 eggs
      1 cup heavy cream
      1/2 cup milk
      1-1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
      1-1/2 cup black trumpets, rehydrated and chopped
      2/3 cup sun dried tomatos, chopped
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/2 tsp mustard powder
      cayenne pepper, to taste
      red pepper flakes, to taste
      smoke flavoring, to taste

      Cut the flour, salt, and shortening together being careful to work
      the dough as little as possible before rolling. Add only as much
      water as needed to give the right consistency. Roll out pie crust and
      place in bottom of pie pan, trim and crimp edges. Beat the eggs, stir
      in the cream, milk, and seasonings. Spread the cheese, black
      trumpets, and sun-dried tomatos on the bottom of the pie crust. Pour
      in the filling. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until golden brown
      on top. Serve with cholesterol meds (JUST KIDDING!).
    • sable_bp
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2004
        Jim & Wendy,

        We are anxious to try this quiche. I have tried some, but mine were
        never that great. Yours sounds soooooooo good.

        Becky

        --- In wpamushroomclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Strutz" <strutzj@y...>
        wrote:
        > Wendy and I are always trying to think of things to combine with
        > black trumpet's unique texture and flavor. We have found that BTs,
        as
        > we call them, go exceptionally well with eggs as in this quiche.
        >
        > Quiche with Black Trumpets and Sun-dried Tomatos
        >
        > Single pie crust
        > 1 cup flour
        > 1/2 cup Crisco shortening
        > 1/2 tsp salt
        > ice water, as needed
        >
        > Filling
        > 3 eggs
        > 1 cup heavy cream
        > 1/2 cup milk
        > 1-1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
        > 1-1/2 cup black trumpets, rehydrated and chopped
        > 2/3 cup sun dried tomatos, chopped
        > 1/2 tsp salt
        > 1/2 tsp mustard powder
        > cayenne pepper, to taste
        > red pepper flakes, to taste
        > smoke flavoring, to taste
        >
        > Cut the flour, salt, and shortening together being careful to work
        > the dough as little as possible before rolling. Add only as much
        > water as needed to give the right consistency. Roll out pie crust
        and
        > place in bottom of pie pan, trim and crimp edges. Beat the eggs,
        stir
        > in the cream, milk, and seasonings. Spread the cheese, black
        > trumpets, and sun-dried tomatos on the bottom of the pie crust.
        Pour
        > in the filling. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until golden brown
        > on top. Serve with cholesterol meds (JUST KIDDING!).
      • C. James Strutz
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2004
          Hi Becky,

          Hope you enjoy the quiche. This did turn out very well. I want to say the
          secret is in the pie crust as Wendy is the pie master! But the filling
          mixture was really good with the black trumpets and sun-dried tomatos (we
          dried our own from tomatos we grew last year).

          It occured to me last night to make chili with mushrooms. Maybe a new recipe
          posting sometime next week!

          Later,
          Jim